Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering a new project now to add a car computer to my caliber. What i would like to do is perform the aux in mod on my rec nav and buy a matching touchscreen film overlay for input. I will likely run a linux car pc distro modified for my use. Anyone with any ideas or questions feel free to shoot away.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Holy cow! you really know your stuff!!! I was blown away by your other projects already!!

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
Pics when done! Pics when done! - I once saw a suv of some sort outfitted with a computer at an auto show last year and it was really cool! - too much for me, but still really cool!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mac mini is a prefect computer for a car, I saw a bunch of cars at Macworld that had it, and it is so compact it works in a lot of places in a car.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah mac mini is a perfect size but the price turns me off. Aside from the fact that i would have to live with the fact that i bought a mac :) Im going with slightly older hardware. The via "checkerboard" micro itx with 1ghz cpu. Passive cooled and very low power.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ok, live with the Blue Screen of Death then, when you have to reboot your car in the middle of nowhere, and a virus attacks it, and it can't start your car, don't come running to a Mac then. LOL J/K :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
ejfb said:
Ok, live with the Blue Screen of Death then, when you have to reboot your car in the middle of nowhere, and a virus attacks it, and it can't start your car, don't come running to a Mac then. LOL J/K :D
Umm... he said he was going to run linux. Also my fiancee runs a mac at her job and I run a pc. I would consider her a smart computer user but her mac has still crashed about 4 times in the past 6 months, my pc has crashed 0 times. :D The whole "Macs are more stable" thing never seems to prove itself to me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe the mac rotating beach ball of death replaces the BSOD. Constant random hangs and 0 3rd party software makes it very unattractive to me. Its very pretty though but ill even take my buggy RC2 vista build over it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
compatability? All you need is a USB cable....drag and drop. Itunes way of syncing librarys is the absolute worst idea ever. SOOOO much easier to just use the device like a flash drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah the Mac Mini is about 1/2" too high to fit into the cutout in the dash...i'm a PC man...but would consider that Mac strongly if it fit in the dash...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seriously boys, do you really need a computer in your car? What would you do with it, we already spend too much time in front of our computers, now in our cars too? Whatever happened to outdoors active time? j/k lol it sounds awesome you gotta post some pics when you get it done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts