Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Laws Impact Virginia Drivers Beginning July 1, 2006
Alcohol Law, HOV Lane Violations Highlight Changes

RICHMOND - Legislation, which impacts Virginia drivers and motor vehicle laws, takes effect July 1, 2006. Brief summaries of some of the more significant new laws are listed below.
Providing Alcohol - This new law requires the court to suspend, for a period of not more than one year, the driving privilege for anyone found guilty of purchasing alcohol for a person who is underage, intoxicated or interdicted (prohibited from using alcohol by court order.) Currently suspension of a driver's license in these instances is discretionary.
Underage Purchase - Requires the court, in addition to other penalties, to suspend for at least six months (and not more than one year) the driving privilege of anyone 18 and older, who purchases, consumes or possesses alcohol in violation of state law. Currently, a suspension is imposed at the discretion of the court.
Vehicle Racing - If a person causes the death of another person while engaging in a vehicle race in a manner so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show reckless disregard for human life, he is guilty of a felony. It is punishable by a mandatory jail term of not less than one year and not more than 20 years.
Military Driver's License Extensions - Spouses and dependents accompanying U.S. military or U.S. diplomats serving overseas may now be granted the same extension period for an expired driver's license as the service member. The period for all extensions is reduced from five to three years.
HOV Lane Fines - The fines for driving in the HOV lanes without the required number of occupants in Planning District Eight (northern Virginia) have been increased as follows: fines have increased from $50 to $125 for a first violation and from $200 to $250 for a second violation within 5 years while for third violations within 5 years, fines remain at $500, and for fourth and subsequent violations within 5 years, fines remain at $1,000. Also, three demerit points will be assessed for second or subsequent offenses occurring within Planning District Eight.
For HOV violations in other parts of Virginia, the fine has increased from $50 to $100.
Convictions for all HOV violations will be placed on the violator's driving record.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I heard about the fine changes for HOV... they are also changing the rules for Hybrids which sucks for people who spent the extra money thinking they could always drive in the HOV lanes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What is a HOV lane????? We don't have those here in Iowa.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow... that's pretty crazy! yeah, we don't have that. LOL

·
Registered
377 Posts
We call those Car-Pool lanes here in Ontario. I only know of one highway that has them. People have actually been busted for driving with anything from a manequin, to a dog dressed as a person in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tigerr said:
We call those Car-Pool lanes here in Ontario. I only know of one highway that has them. People have actually been busted for driving with anything from a manequin, to a dog dressed as a person in the passenger seat.
Those lanes on the 403 get crazy. People seem to enjoy 160KPH+ on them, then get super pissed off at your 120KPH :/

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they are really crackin down on the HOV lanes! It sucks about the hybrids also being changed. They use to be able to drive in the HOV lanes even if you just had one person I guess to many people are buying hybrids so Va needs to change it! We have commuter parking lots here and people just go and pick up SLUGS (people park thier cars there and then wait for someone going to the same place). Then they get on the HOV lanes and go. I know State Troopers just sit at the entrances to the HOV lanes just looking for cars without 3 people in them. I use to commute with a couple guys from work and every morning they would have at least 5 people pulled over giving them tickets!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thats some crazy stuff, im really happy to see them cracking on the street racing, and the alcahol fines.

Luke, where did you find this info at?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Before I moved I would take 66 to work with a coworker and we would see 3-5 people pulled over every day also. I have a few friends at work that SLUG up 95 now... that whole concept is still kind of strange to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
saw about 6 cars pulled over northbound on 95 this morning on a HOV exit ramp, thats just stupid. Im glad the fines are as high as they are.

·
Registered
377 Posts
lukeinva said:
...We have commuter parking lots here and people just go and pick up SLUGS (people park thier cars there and then wait for someone going to the same place)...
So this is some form of "Organized Hitchhiking"???

Your not supposed to pick them up off the side of the road, but as long as they sit in a commuter parking lot wearing a suit it's OK????

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tigerr said:
So this is some form of "Organized Hitchhiking"???

Your not supposed to pick them up off the side of the road, but as long as they sit in a commuter parking lot wearing a suit it's OK????
Now you see why I have mixed feelings about it... My firends dad has been doing it for 15 years without any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts