Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I am interested in getting tints on my Caliber, and am probably going to schedule it for next Saturday. In any case, after a quick google, I noticed that the max legal tint percentage for NY state is 70% front AND back! One of the strictest laws on tinting in the 50 states!

What a bummer... I was looking at a 50/35 split, but now I'm starting to think twice and might just go with 50 all the way around. I really don't want to get pulled over for my tints being "probable cause" to search my car...

Then again, I see plenty of factory-tinted SUV's driving around with NYS plates, with tints I could guess that are under 45%...

Does anyone have any experience with tinted windows in New York state? What would you do in my situation? Thanks a bunch everyone!

-- Devsforev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
The numbers must be screwed up. The lower the % the darker the tint. 70% would be a waste of money. The limit in Ontario is 25%, so 30% in New York might be the right number. You'r right about the minivans and SUV's with the Black out and limo tint on the back windows, I doubt the cops stop them. In Toronto some cops will peel the tint right off your windows and then give you a ticket if they think it's too dark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
new jersey we're not even allowed to tint the front windows at all. i remember when i went for my licence a few years back they wouldn't even let me use my moms suv cause the front had a light tint. had to pay for a car from a driving school. NJ auto laws suck @$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xlimodriver said:
The numbers must be screwed up. The lower the % the darker the tint. 70% would be a waste of money. The limit in Ontario is 25%, so 30% in New York might be the right number. You'r right about the minivans and SUV's with the Black out and limo tint on the back windows, I doubt the cops stop them. In Toronto some cops will peel the tint right off your windows and then give you a ticket if they think it's too dark.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
Multiple sites say the same thing :-/

Any thoughts on my original post? Crappy, right?

-- Devsforev
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Yeah, N.Y. has some pretty strict laws regarding the tint. 70% of light MUST enter the car! Which turns out you can only block 30% of the light.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Xtreme Thunder said:
Yeah, N.Y. has some pretty strict laws regarding the tint. 70% of light MUST enter the car! Which turns out you can only block 30% of the light.:(
Tell me about it... The place I went to in order to get a quote on how much the tints would cost didn't have anything ABOVE 50% if I recall correctly. AND it's in New York mind you. Talk about irony, haha...

My family is concerned about me getting illegal tints. As am I; I don't need an excuse to get pulled over, or have 'just cause' for them to search the car or any of that nonsense. However, after looking up the law, I'm tempted to tell them that the stock Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Escape sitting in the driveway -both- are considered illegal in the eyes of the state... And they didn't even know it.

What an absurd law... Any thoughts/advice anyone?

-- Devsforev
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
Devsforev said:
Tell me about it... The place I went to in order to get a quote on how much the tints would cost didn't have anything ABOVE 50% if I recall correctly. AND it's in New York mind you. Talk about irony, haha...

My family is concerned about me getting illegal tints. As am I; I don't need an excuse to get pulled over, or have 'just cause' for them to search the car or any of that nonsense. However, after looking up the law, I'm tempted to tell them that the stock Nissan Pathfinder and Ford Escape sitting in the driveway -both- are considered illegal in the eyes of the state... And they didn't even know it.

What an absurd law... Any thoughts/advice anyone?

-- Devsforev

I will be in the same situation, being from N.Y. too. I think I will call around to see if I can get quotes of anything higher than 50% for the heck of it. Makes you wonder doesn't it!

I would say stay legal! All it takes is one cop to be a stickler about it and your going away with a ticket. Yes, I have seen many many cars with tint darker than 50% in N.Y. and many say they don't get bothered. Ofcourse I would be the one to get caught!

Its really all up to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
yep it's all up to you.. here in alberta we are not allowed to tint our front windows at all but I still went ahead and put a light tint on the front windows just to keep the look cohesive.. it's been 4 months and I've not gotten pulled over at all wether it's been in the city or out in rural areas. I guess it all boils down to the cops mood and if you give him a reason to take a second look at your car. Most times they won't ever give you a second look as long as your obeying the local laws.. and lets face it.. even tho I have a/c I still drive with my front windows down so they will never know anyways lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
70% is just for the front windows. You can do whatever you want to the back, unless its metalic, like chrome, that is illegal. The law in NYS started long before I could drive, but it was because a cop walked up to a car, the drive had a gun, and shot the cop. He never saw it coming. Taped on the window as usual to have the driver roll it down, and that was it. idk what the difference is between the back and the front, somone could just as easily hold a gun in the back though. O well, that is NYS for ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
playB0Y42 said:
70% is just for the front windows. You can do whatever you want to the back, unless its metalic, like chrome, that is illegal. The law in NYS started long before I could drive, but it was because a cop walked up to a car, the drive had a gun, and shot the cop. He never saw it coming. Taped on the window as usual to have the driver roll it down, and that was it. idk what the difference is between the back and the front, somone could just as easily hold a gun in the back though. O well, that is NYS for ya
I hope you're right about the 70% just being in the front. Check the link I posted in post #4. Quoted:

"Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in."

If I am not mistaken, aren't those the windows directly behind the driver and passenger doors? Thank you very much!

-- Devsforev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Just get whatever tint you want. If you get a ticket and if its to high for you to pay just take the tint off and then go to court. I am pretty sure that a judge would just drop the charges since you took the tint off the windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Devsforev said:
I hope you're right about the 70% just being in the front. Check the link I posted in post #4. Quoted:

"Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in."

If I am not mistaken, aren't those the windows directly behind the driver and passenger doors? Thank you very much!

-- Devsforev

Well i am not an expert, but id be willing to bet at least one paycheck on it, that the windows on a minivan, or other hatchback the come pre tinted from the factory, are laready darker then 70%, I beleive its is 35%
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
I'd say at least 5 or 10%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
OK, i haven't read word for word all of the posts so someone may have already stated this. As far as tinting goes at least in Indiana I know that trucks, vans, and SUV's have a different law than cars. Although, the law doesn't do a very good job of wording it so we can understand that. The law here in Indiana as I was told by the officers where I work are:

trucks, vans, and SUV's - 20% tint on back and 35% on front drivers and passengers

Cars - nothing lower than 35% all around

It has to do with the cops being able to see what they are walking up on. In Cali the limits are alot less you can have 5 and even 0% I believe...they have more sun. Could this also be the reason for the high limit in NY. Maybe there is less light making it harder to see in? Who knows maybe I am way off. Just thought I would share. :) Either way I am cruising in Indiana on my Illegal 20% tints so so be it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
BethJ said:
OK, i haven't read word for word all of the posts so someone may have already stated this. As far as tinting goes at least in Indiana I know that trucks, vans, and SUV's have a different law than cars. Although, the law doesn't do a very good job of wording it so we can understand that...
This site explains the law quite clearly for each state:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top