Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been doing some research on cvt trannies and am thinking that we could add a small shot of n20 without hurting anything....anyone have anything to add/tried it yet? i hate to be a guinni (sp?) pig. :p

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
We will all stand back and look for CVT parts left on the road

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like a waste of time, but have fun. A small shot of NOS like a 25 shot just would not give you much to the rear wheels, and if you are going to run the Caliber down the 1/4 or 1/8th, you need more than 200 HP total, what are you going to beat with a small shot of NOS. Plus these calibers leave the line like a Drunk Snail!!!!! These just are not built for racing. If you are looking for a race, just buy the SRT-4 when it comes out and be covered under warranty. Plus the H.P. ratings are at the engine and not the wheels, I wonder just how much the CVT and drive line really take out of the totals. I know my Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 loses about 25% - 28% through the drivetrain. Also, why take the chance of running NOS and getting a lean condition then burning up your engine. I have known people that put in the wrong jets, or have a solenoid stick open and blow the top off the engine. Just not worth it. I think the best bet on these would be a turbo, and even then, just buy the SRT-4.

Probably the best thing would be to install the Braided NOS lines and the bottle and the purge valves and just make it look cool. I'll bet the NOS bottle would look awesome between the front seats and remove the center arm rest. Then put a couple of Neons around it and maybe it will scare someone off that wanted to race you, but I doubt it.

Just my 2 cents.

Later

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know it was just a thought....don't make fun of the name - i have a boosted 91 mit. eclipse gsx that was running 12's 2 years ago in street trim. now it's striped and when the turbo gets rebuilt we'll see how close to 11's it will run. so i am a boost dog hehehe

·
Registered
198 Posts
FtK Shadow said:
I know my Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 loses about 25% - 28% through the drivetrain.
WOW. A 300 HP engine losing 75 HP through the train seems real high to me. The PT, for example, advertises 150 HP on an N/A engine, and measured 137 at the wheels. A loss of about 9%, or a fixed loss of 13 HP. Yes, its a FWD, but 75 lost ponies kinda, well, sucks.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It has more to do with tranny design. that ram tranny is heavy and has alot beefier internals, alot more rotational mass robbing power.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sean said:
WOW. A 300 HP engine losing 75 HP through the train seems real high to me. The PT, for example, advertises 150 HP on an N/A engine, and measured 137 at the wheels. A loss of about 9%, or a fixed loss of 13 HP. Yes, its a FWD, but 75 lost ponies kinda, well, sucks.
Yea, the loss on the Dodge trucks seems like a lot. About 22% Drivetrain loss

I am in a Dodge Truck Club and we have dyno'd many stock trucks, and the 5.7L HEMI is rated at 345 H.P. at the Flywheel. They will dyno at around 265 to 268 R.W.H.P. That is a loss of about 77 H.P. through the drivetrain.

I currently have a CAI connected to an SRT-10 Hood, Aero-Turbine Muffler, 6.1L Cam from the SRT-8, MotoBlue Underdrive Pulley, Superchips Programmer and a Trans Shift Kit.

Here is a picture of the last dyno with all this added. All that and still only 316 H.P. at the rear wheels on a truck that stock has 345 H.P. at the flywheel.

The before and after was with the 6.1L Cam installed and underdrive pulley.

Sorry to get off topic, but I don't consider the caliber a car to mod for racing. But I would like to know what the drivetrain loss is for a Caliber R/T AWD with the CVT.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yeah, the NV 4500s used in dodges are big transmissions. I hate to even think about the HP loss in my Wrangler. Its got a screaming 120 HP @ 5400 RPM& 140 lb/ft of torque @ 3250 RPM :eek: I have an NP 231 t-case with an AX-5 manual (a baby compared to your dodge tranny.) If there's not much there to begin with, then how much can you afford to lose? Also, as far as nitrous goes, I think its a little risky. Maybe you could mate an older Chrysler 2.2 turbo to it with some adapters and such, but other than that be careful about it. The World engines have potential I think, but dont ruin 'em.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was thinking this weekend correctly if i am wrong but doesn't the r/t have the exact same tranny as the sxt and is making 170 hp??? why could i not through a 30-40 shot at it....i would be at the same hp as the r/t with an intake and exhaust....discuss please.

·
Registered
153 Posts
boostdog said:
i was thinking this weekend correctly if i am wrong but doesn't the r/t have the exact same tranny as the sxt and is making 170 hp??? why could i not through a 30-40 shot at it....i would be at the same hp as the r/t with an intake and exhaust....discuss please.
I am not saying that the Transmission will not take the extra power, just that it seems a waste of time and not worth the risk of trouble.

You would definately want a wet kit which adds fuel when spraying and a CAI to mount the nozzles in. I have not looked, but on my truck there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail that makes it easy to get a connection for the fuel. I have not played with small shots of NOS, but I ran a 125 shot on my truck for a while, It was just way involved having to mount the bottle, have a bottle warmer, NOS pressure guage and also have it vented to the outside. Then you either have to install a switch on the accelerator pedal or have a hand held switch, or maybe a switch on the top of the shifter to hit the NOS. Then a purge switch with a purge nozzle installed. Then an arming switch. With a manually operated switch, you have to make sure you know when to hit it and when to let off. Or if you use a switch mounted to the acellerator pedal for full throttle, you don't want to spray immediately, you need some delay. Or some kits have an RPM switch. The good thing is that with the CVT there is no shift so the power should be consistant all the way through. You also have to plan to use it and open the valve on the bottle, or get a remote valve opener which is expensive.

On a 30 shot it may be pretty safe, I don't know, but on my 125 shot I took it to a dyno and did multiple runs with an Air/Fuel guage on the dyno to make sure I was running rich enough and not getting lean, and also to dial in the NOS and Fuel Jet.

I don't know much about small shots of NOS, but I had a friend that put in the wrong jet and blew the intake manifold completely off his 5.7 HEMI engine, just by not reading the jet number carefully.

Then is NOS really going to help a vehicle off the line that seems to build up RPM's then starts moving. I have not tried bringing up the RPM's then letting off the brake to see if it launches better or at all. On my truck, I would launch it at between 1200 and 1400 RPM anything more would smoke the tires depending on the track that day, but you probably don't have to worry about tire smoke from the Caliber.

Just too much to think about to run a 30 shot and maybe get 25 extra horses at the wheels in my opinion. But I would be interested in what happens if someone does this. I guess I come from a different background, More cubic inches and H.P. from the motor than NOS on a 2.4L or 2.0L. But I guess if you are looking to race a V.W. bug or just do something stupid on the street then this might be just what you are looking for.

I say mount the bottle where everyone can see it with some braided stainless line and put a big red NOS button on the dash and it will look real cool, then just run the Stainless line to a purge valve and purge nozzle placed somewhere real cool like out the Dodge Ram Head logo on the grill then just push the button when someone wants to race and purge the NOS then rev the 2.0L engine and it will scare them off, J/K.

The Caliber to me is just not a race car. You will do all this and take it to the local 1/4 or 1/8 mile and get beaten by a camry or something like that.

BTW, I just looked it up, the Caliber R/T 2.4L does 17.84 in the quarter mile. You might want to stay away from that V.W. Bug in the next lane.

Later

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts