Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... interesting thing I noticed on www.drivesrt.com

Go and look under the Caliber SRT4 section, it would seem that they have once again changed some of the fine details in the description text. Now it does not state ANYWHERE what the horsepower of the Caliber SRT4 will be.

If you remember correctly, it made reference to the Caliber's 300hp many times on that website, but now the only performance spec they have listed is the 260 lb-ft of torque...

WTF???

When will Dodge stop messing around and release this damn car... or at least the final spec sheet... :mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unoriginalusername said:
glad i went with an ms3, don't want to play their mind games any more lol
I'm seriously considering an Avenger R/T right now actually... I think i'm just about done with the quest for a Caliber. :(

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ironside said:
I'm seriously considering an Avenger R/T right now actually... I think i'm just about done with the quest for a Caliber. :(
i think the sebrings are much nicer, the back of the sebring is kinda toyota corola, but i think they are nice cars, avenger isnt a very unique design, seems like they peiced to gether cars just my opinion, wait for the 4.0litre engine to get put into them, altho the 3.5 is a good engine combustion is to high to do any good mods to it!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
srtman said:
i think the sebrings are much nicer, the back of the sebring is kinda toyota corola, but i think they are nice cars, avenger isnt a very unique design, seems like they peiced to gether cars just my opinion, wait for the 4.0litre engine to get put into them, altho the 3.5 is a good engine combustion is to high to do any good mods to it!
When would they be putting a 4.0litre engine into the Avenger/Sebrings?

I liked the R/T, but after driving a Neon SRT-4, I would kind of like it to be a little quicker. :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would not be surprised to see an SRT Avenger. I have no real knowledge of such, and getting the right powertrain might make it a nonprofit, which in anathema for them, but if they can make meet their spec, and make a profit, they will make it.

The Neon SRT was possible becuase the turbo 2.4, already in use in Mexico, was already being Americanized for use in the PT Cruiser GT. The Crossfire SRT was possible only becuase AMG let SRT have the AMG motors. The Ram used the Viper motor. See, in each case, the heavy finaincial lifting of getting an engine (the heart of ANY SRT vehicle) made was already done, and SRT leveraged that.

The 6.1 they did do all themselves, but, in this case, the cost of a whole new motor could be amortized across four different SRT vehicles, two of which would be produced over 5K a year, the other two more than 2-3K. 15 thousand motors are cheaper than 2-5 thousand. And theres more profit in a 40K vehicle than a 28K one.

·
Registered
567 Posts
i'm guessing that they are going to make a faster version of both the sebring and avenger chrysler no longer has the crossfire srt6, so that leaves the srt6 badge missing, at the detriot autoshow i saw a concept done by SkunkWrkz of a Sebring Tuner it was called. i'll post some pictures it was a beautiful car, and it listed a 4.0L engine which is like 260 hp. and he has nice aftermarket rims, skunkwrks also did a 5.7litre hemi dodge nitro that i saw at autorama in detroit i'll try posting pictures of the sebring!
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
hers the back, srtforums has a page with pictures of it but numbers are 285hp, and 298 torque, pretty damn good i'd say that would be very close to an srt4 neon, more horspower and alot more torque

·
Registered
567 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I would not be surprised to see an SRT Avenger. I have no real knowledge of such, and getting the right powertrain might make it a nonprofit, which in anathema for them, but if they can make meet their spec, and make a profit, they will make it.

The Neon SRT was possible becuase the turbo 2.4, already in use in Mexico, was already being Americanized for use in the PT Cruiser GT. The Crossfire SRT was possible only becuase AMG let SRT have the AMG motors. The Ram used the Viper motor. See, in each case, the heavy finaincial lifting of getting an engine (the heart of ANY SRT vehicle) made was already done, and SRT leveraged that.

The 6.1 they did do all themselves, but, in this case, the cost of a whole new motor could be amortized across four different SRT vehicles, two of which would be produced over 5K a year, the other two more than 2-3K. 15 thousand motors are cheaper than 2-5 thousand. And theres more profit in a 40K vehicle than a 28K one.
this is very true, keep in mind the the viper engine was acutally borrowed from the dodge V10 in the heavy duty trucks, they just made it an aluminum block and super high output! but dodge definantly has plenty of engines to choose from for the srt6, to list all the ones i know 3.2, 3.5, 3.8, 4.0 i hope they would never use the 2.7 tho, icky so there is 3 v6's they could use i wonder which one it will be 4.0 they can borrow from the chrysler pacifica which comes with dual exaust lol. 3.5 i hightly doub they will use that. the 3.2 was obviously a great engine in the crossfire, so who knows what engine its going to be. i just hope it will be turboed and produce over 300, its gotta have more then the calibersrt4

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
srtman said:
this is very true, keep in mind the the viper engine was acutally borrowed from the dodge V10 in the heavy duty trucks, they just made it an aluminum block and super high output! but dodge definantly has plenty of engines to choose from for the srt6, to list all the ones i know 3.2, 3.5, 3.8, 4.0 i hope they would never use the 2.7 tho, icky so there is 3 v6's they could use i wonder which one it will be 4.0 they can borrow from the chrysler pacifica which comes with dual exaust lol. 3.5 i hightly doub they will use that. the 3.2 was obviously a great engine in the crossfire, so who knows what engine its going to be. i just hope it will be turboed and produce over 300, its gotta have more then the calibersrt4
The damn thing BETTER be faster than the Caliber SRT-4 since it will probably cost at least 10k more.

·
Registered
567 Posts
yea that is also true, althought, the base sebring is about the base price of a relatively poorly equiped caliber, i dont think that there would be much of a mark up in price, the way i see it you have the people that want to stay under say 24-25,000 dollars, well this might just tip over that sclae to like 26,000 bucks, which still isnt to bad. i just hope that what ever it comes with will be modifiable, of course after the warranty is up, the damn 3.5's all you can do is put dual intakes on. i really like that sebrings, even the base ones, very mercedish. and with those numbers nearing 300/300, that will be well under 6 seccond car like 5.5 or better, all we can do is wait... either way i'm pretty much screwed till i graduate from college a second time! cuz i'm graduating this year with associates which is actually quite useful in my field!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So is this car gonna be any good? I just got off talking to the dealer. He's trying to get me to buy a charger SRT8 instead. Should I wait.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
mike holmen said:
So is this car gonna be any good? I just got off talking to the dealer. He's trying to get me to buy a charger SRT8 instead. Should I wait.
if you want an extra 1000lbs curb weight, an automatic instead of a mannual, a sedan instead of a hatch, an NA motor versus a turbo and you want it now versus the fall then get the srt8.

sure the caliber srt4 will be good, but they won't be going for below list for sometime, unlike the srt8's in inventory.

·
Registered
567 Posts
the srt will no doubt own a caliber srt4, but worse gas mileage, alot more money, like unoriginalusername said it is also only automatic. rear wheel drive in the srt8 so in rain or snow might be a very unsafe care to drive, depending on your driving, if your not strapped for cash get the srt8, but if u like economy plus fun get the caliber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read in a recent mopar mag that there a shop that sells a manual six speed for the car but dodge wont give me a warranty. The gas mileage isn't that good either. I was looking for a fun car that wont like me stopping at every gas station. It gets old in a hurry.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Want info on SRT-8s? You came to the right place:)

Mileage in the real world is about 14-16 city, 20-21 highway. And it does take premium. Wet driving is fine, snow with the F1 Supercar tires, not so good, they are three season tires. The Goodyear RSA's, pretty good both wet and snow. Never "very unsafe", but never really as easy to drive in the slippery as a FWD will be.

Since they have the full ESP suite, we've got all the traction and stability controls in there. Those are a huge help. That six speed you saw was from Keisler, and oddly enough, they just announced that insted of being available April 15th, it wont be ready until "sometime in 08".

Not sure why, but I'm not sure Id bet being able to get one ever. Now, me, I love my SRT-8, and so does my family. SRT-4 to SRT-8 is two entirely different worlds, quite a gap in many things between them. Which one is right for you? Depends. For me, it was a few different things. Knees going south, wife and kids being tired of the noise and lack of room, lack of amenities.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would without a doubt go for the SRT-8. You get alot more car. Plus i refuse to own a FWD car... its AWD or RWD only for me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts