Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway, ive been checking this site out for a while but this is my first post. anyway i have an r/t and i just want to see if im the only one with this problem. the problem is when im sitting at a stop light or something and i go to take my foot off the brake and i step on the accelerator (not hard) it barely gets moving. i then have to mash the pedal just to get going and keep from pissing the people behind me off. anyone else experience this? did i also mention im not very fond of the transmission in general.

·
Banned
400 Posts
j85 said:
anyway, ive been checking this site out for a while but this is my first post. anyway i have an r/t and i just want to see if im the only one with this problem. the problem is when im sitting at a stop light or something and i go to take my foot off the brake and i step on the accelerator (not hard) it barely gets moving. i then have to mash the pedal just to get going and keep from pissing the people behind me off. anyone else experience this? did i also mention im not very fond of the transmission in general.
READ this thread PLEASE. http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link. i dont really dont notice a ping, but will this clear the issue anyway? do i just take it to the dealer and tell them that it is real slow to accelerate? thanks again.

·
Registered
901 Posts
um, the point had to do with updating the car's flash memory, not the exhaust hardware.

Here is another thread about lack of acceleration (was 1 pg back): http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256

Also, neither engine has a whole lot of low-end torque. It's throttle-by-wire and takes like 1-2 seconds for all the electronics to figure out that you want to GO.

But once you are moving, the car feels slower than the speed you are actually going (another very common sensation probably discussed in at least a dozen threads). Seems to be because the CVT does not have physical gears, so acceleration and downshifting don't feel the same as in traditional automatic transmissions. With an R/T you can use the AutoStick to get a little better off-the-line response.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dunno... if you have the mash the petal to the floor to get it going, something is wrong. It may not have much low end torque, but I don't need to mash it to get it to accelerate.

·
Banned
400 Posts
j85 said:
thanks for the link. i dont really dont notice a ping, but will this clear the issue anyway? do i just take it to the dealer and tell them that it is real slow to accelerate? thanks again.

No problem, and YES..... That's all I HAD TO DO with my dealer! TAKE IT BACK and TELL THEM EXACTLY the ABOVE! Good luck.

·
Banned
400 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
um, the point had to do with updating the car's flash memory, not the exhaust hardware.

Here is another thread about lack of acceleration (was 1 pg back): http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256

Also, neither engine has a whole lot of low-end torque. It's throttle-by-wire and takes like 1-2 seconds for all the electronics to figure out that you want to GO.

But once you are moving, the car feels slower than the speed you are actually going (another very common sensation probably discussed in at least a dozen threads). Seems to be because the CVT does not have physical gears, so acceleration and downshifting don't feel the same as in traditional automatic transmissions. With an R/T you can use the AutoStick to get a little better off-the-line response.
1-2 seconds is WAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME! You should try living in NYC. People will kill you for taking 1-2 seconds too long to move!

·
Registered
190 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
[/b]
No problem, and YES..... That's all I HAD TO DO with my dealer! TAKE IT BACK and TELL THEM EXACTLY the ABOVE! Good luck.
Hey, I'm just north of NYC and frequently go to NYC and the Isle of Long. What dealer did you use for servicing? I think my R/T should have a little more get up and go from dead stop and I'd rather not have to go all the way to the particular dealer from where I bought. I assume for warranty work, any dealer should accommodate, yes??

·
Banned
400 Posts
MetroAWD said:
Hey, I'm just north of NYC and frequently go to NYC and the Isle of Long. What dealer did you use for servicing? I think my R/T should have a little more get up and go from dead stop and I'd rather not have to go all the way to the particular dealer from where I bought. I assume for warranty work, any dealer should accommodate, yes??
I bought my SXT in NJ, the dealer is BUHLER in Eatontown. Their service people can be a bunch of PRICKS! Which is why I've developed an understanding relationship with the GM!:D Now when I have issues, I simply call the GM, and he get's the service guy's off their lazy asses. Oh, and YES... ANY DEALER SHOULD ACCOMMODATE EVERY ISSUE YOU MAY HAVE FOR WARRANTY WORK.

·
Banned
76 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
I have read some really dumb stuff on this forum, but this might just take the cake.

It takes 1-2 seconds for a sensor to determine that the accelerator has been depressed and relay the information to the engine?

If the ABS can determine that the wheel has locked up and pulse the brakes in a fraction of a second then I would guess that the engine can respond to a simple command in about the same time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ewitz said:
I have read some really dumb stuff on this forum, but this might just take the cake.

It takes 1-2 seconds for a sensor to determine that the accelerator has been depressed and relay the information to the engine?

If the ABS can determine that the wheel has locked up and pulse the brakes in a fraction of a second then I would guess that the engine can respond to a simple command in about the same time.
Well i dunno about 1-2 seconds but when I first got mine it was lacking in the get up and go from stop department, but has since gotten better, slowly but surely. Dunno why or how and really don't care;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im not sure i should have to push the accelerator in so far especially past the click to get going from the line. also im not sure if anyone has tried it but ive had it in autostick mode several times and ive only tried it in probably 4th through 6th gear but when i floor it past the click the rpms dont shoot up and the speed doesnt really increase like it does in manual mode. is this normal?

·
Registered
901 Posts
ewitz said:

yes, i agree. it's dumb and does not make sense. no, i don't really know if that's the real cause. Just general consensus from past discussions here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
hey man, it was slightly drizzly yesterday on the way home from the beach. I nailed it from a stop on a slightly uphill right turn and razzled the tire(s?) instantly so the 2.0 Caliber has *some* nuts in it even with the CVT. earlier some other silver wagon stomped the go pedal on the freeway onramp, I didn't catch on for a bit following but activated that kickdown switch and we were in lockstep from then on, nobody gaining nor losing ground. glad I didn't buy a stick because that would encourage spirited driving even more, I'd be flooring it in 1st/2nd all the time just to wind the GEMA out :)

I'd like to change to lower profile tires for a little edge in gear ratio and an even bigger gain in handling. since someone mentioned ABS- I found it way easy to bring it into play on downhill runs with these slippery tires. they roll over and push very easy too so gotta' learn the fwd dance, slow in fast out.

if this car had 1/2 the hp, I'd still have fun. might be painfully slow till it's rolling but would find a way :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I had the same slip out in the rain myself, and I only gave her 1/4 throttle, at most. I guess you have to baby it a little more off the line in the rain! Our cars can do burnouts, too, it just has to be wet out first!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts