Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I went to get my first oil change. The first place I went to did not carry synthetic 5W20. So I left. The second place said that they could not get an oil filter for a Caliber. So I left. The third place said they had a filter. But after further questioning on my part the manager said that it's the same oil filter as a Neon. So I quickly left. I finally went to the dealer was in and out in 20 min. Used Mobil 1, 5W20 the correct Mopar filter. Cost was $47.55 The service manager told me that at this moment nobody will have the filter except the dealer. He showed me the old filter and said that is was a metric filter. He said that he did not know when other manufacters would start producing the filter but that they will in the future. I'm think that I will buy a few filters from the dealer so I can change my own oil.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
ROTFL, where's Orangecalibersxt when you need him?:p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
LMAO!! Metric filter?? I'm sure maybe the thread size could be metric, but other than that, it's an oil filter. All it's goiong to take is someone taking a new or used filter into a parts store and matching it up with another filter. I havn't looks at my oil filter yet, but I'm willing to bet that the filter doesn't even need to be the exact same dimensions, as long as the threads, and the sealing ring are the same. Getting close to my first oil change, and I will request the old filter when I do it so I can compare the filters for everyones benifit. I hwve free oil changes for a year, so will be using those up before I do my own oil change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My understanding is the oil filter is a filter cartridge which goes inside the oil canister (I guess that what you call it). You do not throw away the intire oil filter.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
steveb said:
My understanding is the oil filter is a filter cartridge which goes inside the oil canister (I guess that what you call it). You do not throw away the intire oil filter.
What? That's wrong. What you are talking about is what the US Mazda 3 has. The Caliber filter is the normal canister type that most USA cars have. It's NORMAL (except for the size).

·
Registered
357 Posts
swapping filters seems iffy at first blush because of the differing bypass spring setups inside most sealed filters (though yah I tried it before using a porsche filter on a miata because the porsche filter was like 3x the size and capacity and wanted to experiment / had extras anyways. no harm no foul from what I could tell)

I'd rather have the drop in element, seems less wasteful than companies constantly making metal housings.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The different manufacturers making the same application oil filters use different bypass valves. FRAM sucks, don't ever use them, as do 99% of the other "cheap" filters. Buy a good quality filter, and don't worry bout it. Mobil1, K&N, Purolator, Wix, and Amsoil brand filters are all good quality filters. And I really doubt that they developed a whole new oil filter that is only used on the Caliber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts