Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car, not me :D (but that's another story). Although I didn't notice this the day I drove the Caliber home from the first oil change and F29 recall, yesterday on the way home from work, while accelerating from a stop sign, I thought I felt two distinct "shifts". I had mentioned in an earlier post that I had one "shift" under normal acceleration around 20mph or 2500rpm, but now I have two... medium acceleration with traffic rpm rises to 2500 first "shift" occurs with rpm falling back to 2000. Keeping a steady pressure on the gas pedal, rpm returns to 2500 and the second "shift" happens... figured I was "flashing" or something, I purposely stopped on a back road and repeated the process about 5 times... If I mash the gas fairly hard (not to the floor but aggressive) the rpm will jump up to 4-5000 and off we go with no shifts... it goes back to being a CVT again... rolling down the road at 50-60mph and mash the gas there is no downshift, just acts like a CVT should...

I watched closely for this again this morning, and yep, it is still there.. following the above scenario exactly.. was this there all the time and I never noticed it?? maybe, but I usually don't miss this type of thing.. did the recall change the "shift" pattern to help with the pre-ignition ping at low rpm, slow speed, lugging engine??? who knows.. but I am not complaining as this as cured the "stumble" I was feeling after that first shift around 20mph...

I would inquire at the dealer, but that would be a waste of time... so unless this causes me a problem, I am going to just enjoy my new found "shiftlessness"..:p

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds a little...Shifty... to me :)

Did the Caliber had a "shift" before when you mashed the pedal down? I ask because I can't remember if there was or not from my test drives.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Principal said:
Sounds a little...Shifty... to me :)

Did the Caliber had a "shift" before when you mashed the pedal down? I ask because I can't remember if there was or not from my test drives.
No, when "mashing" the pedal there is no shift.. only under light to moderate pedal pressure (normal take-off from a stop acceleration) can the "shifts" be felt... (and seen on the tach)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought I was crazy, but I am pretty sure I feel a shift point every now and again. I am not sure if it is consistant, btu every once and a while I will feel one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I mentioned my experience with this in another thread a couple days ago, but my R/T has always had the fake shift. I know that Dodge intentionally programmed this into the coding for the cvt2 to make it "more familiar" to drivers not experienced with a cvt. You will see this quoted from the Dodge reps in most initial Caliber reviews printed early this spring. I find this fake shift to be an annoying reduction of performance, and I wish Dodge would come out with an ecu flash that would get rid of it. I bet the 0-60 times of cvt2 powered calibers would drop by over half a second.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I stated in my post (and in an earlier one) I have always had one "shift"... my point was, I now have two.. and I agree clockmaker, I wish it was completely "shiftless".

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have noticed about 4 of them, the first 2 as gypsy bill has stated, then another 2 when getting on the freeway and going about 50 mph, and 4000 rpm, it "shifts" to about 3300 rpm, then if i keep my foot on the gas pedal the same, it does it again around 70-75. but when i mash on the gas, there are no "shifts"

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
When I have gone on test drives I felt the one after 20mph and one at about 80mph. I attributed it to the torque converter locking up.

Anything more I would go to the dealer and see if they can work with you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to my buddy at Chrysler, one of the "shifts" you are feeling is the torque converter locking up. Should be happening at low speed and may be the 2500-ish RPM one you're feeling. The other ones are that nifty chrysler feature that makes the CVT seem more like a stepped-ratio trans. The downside of getting rid of all the shifting is that you can end up having the RPM always moving around, which feels pretty weird....

·
Registered
267 Posts
I remember the pseuro-shift points referred to as "dumbing down" the CVT to make people feel more comfortable with the transmission. Has anyone seen the new Nissan commercial where the guy is accelerating and his female passenger was looking confused, and then he started making the "shifting" sounds with his mouth? It reminded me of this because Nissan makes the Caliber's CVT.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's another thing I like about this car... always something to discuss...:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jatco makes the caliber's CVT AND nissan's, Nissan only owns 35% of jatco roughly, so it's definitely affiliated, but it Nissan doesn't build the CVTs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts