Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, has anybody else had this problem. A couple times I was driving about 5-10 MPH and attempted to pass around someone. When I hit the gas hard there was no acceleration, kind of like the car just went dead. After a couple of seconds it takes off. This is dangerous to me, since when I was attempting to pass there were cars coming up behind me and I was going nowhere !!!

·
Banned
400 Posts
I would take the car into the dealer A.S.A.P! Can you imagine crossing a railroad and your car stalled while a train was coming in fast?:eek:

·
Banned
554 Posts
Mine did this a couple times in the first month or so. Scared the **** outta me the one time when the power finally did kick in. Anyway, mine quit doing it. I THINK it must have something to do with the CVT. If it reoccurs or becomes an issue for me, I'll take it in, but at this point it seems to me that the PCM figured out how I drive and made the proper adjustments. I dunno. It's been roughly 5000km's since mine did it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My next question was going to be along those lines lol

How many miles do you have on it? It may not be broke in that well yet. You are going to have really bad pickup until she/he is broken in pretty good. Did you or are you giving it a breakin where you don't go over a 60mph until you have 100 miles on the car and then not over 70 until 200 (I think that is what the manual said to do, I need to look up my post on this :) )

Either way like they are all saying I would take it in if it keeps it up. Who knows what this new CVT is going to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there's about 1200 miles on it now, and yes I did take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles, which is only about 3 days of driving for me. I drive 80 miles a day. Like Bulldogger said, it kinda scared the crap out of me when I went to pass the guy and looked in the rearview mirror to the the on coming cars !!!!!

Does anybody else agree on the break in ? Do you think this will go away ???

I know if I bring it to the dealer they wont be able to recreate the problem and they will think I dont know what Im talking about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Happens to me on occasion in my Caliber R/T... I'm almost at 4,000 miles, the car is starting to show improved fuel economy and it's been a little while since it happened last. Used to happen more frequently when the car was brand new. Either I've learned where the pedal sweet spot for accelleration is, the CVT/comptuer has adjusted, the engine/trans has broken in, or a combo of these three.

·
Registered
143 Posts
let me guess.. you stepped on the gas and the rpm's locked in at around 2500 rpm and stayed for like 4 seconds then the car shot off up to around 4-5k right. If that is the case the same thing happens to me sometimes on takeoffs if I don't work the pedal right. I have 12,400km on my odometer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bulldogger said:
These are funny lil' cars. They take some getting used to. Test drive really doesn't tell you much about the car. It's like learning to drive all over again. LOL
And that is why I think so many reviews talk about its poor acceleration. I have to ease kinda hard into mine for a second, and then go a lot harder, but not floored. I'm always the first off the line at red lights, and it passes like a bat outa hell! I'm not saying that's the case with diverrk, I'm sure his compaint is legit. Just saying that in my case, it really did take some getting used to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
I would take the car into the dealer A.S.A.P! Can you imagine crossing a railroad and your car stalled while a train was coming in fast?:eek:
Remember, flashing RR lights means to stop not speed up to make it across. Here in Minnesota, you can get cited for failure to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic!, a $300 fine. Ouch! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My '07 RT is still doing this after almost a year and over 25k kilometers. Mine seems to be weather related. If it's damp or cold, it happens ONCE every day, then I don't have to worry about it again ,until the next day/morning. It will be back to the dealer very soon, as the temp is dropping and the symptoms are starting to occur again. The car will be left on the lot so that they can reproduce the problem - once it warms up, it never shows up again. Never had it happen once all summer though...and yes...it's scary and dangerous. Otherwise, the car has been fantastic. Love the CVT merging onto highway on-ramps etc....

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
My '07 RT is still doing this after almost a year and over 25k kilometers. Mine seems to be weather related. If it's damp or cold, it happens ONCE every day, then I don't have to worry about it again ,until the next day/morning. It will be back to the dealer very soon, as the temp is dropping and the symptoms are starting to occur again. The car will be left on the lot so that they can reproduce the problem - once it warms up, it never shows up again. Never had it happen once all summer though...and yes...it's scary and dangerous. Otherwise, the car has been fantastic. Love the CVT merging onto highway on-ramps etc....
You did see the date on the last post for this thread right?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm more than certain that this is not a CVT thing. I test drove a 5spd and leaving the lot (cold) the car did this, didn't stall out but the car had a noticable pause and it almost went dead. No trans or clutch symptom. A related problem that I have is the car only runs well with 87octane. With 91 it'll stall out when not expected. Did back and forth test to confirm after filling with 91 by mistake.
Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure, I saw the date, but the problem was still relevant for me. I think I saw a link to it at the bottom of a current post (similar threads) and thought I'd chime in again. Never know what you might find:):read:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts