Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm in the right section...

The radio/cd just stopped making sound. It's as if I hit the mute button, but I DIDN'T.

I know the radio is getting a signal, as I see the 'ST' flickering on weak stations. I can do a seek and it goes from station to station and stops at the stations in my area.

With a CD in the unit, I can change tracks and see the numbers on the display changing for the current track, but NO sound.

I haven't done any mods, as the car is new to us, less than a week old.

BTW, it's a 2007 SXT.

Any thoughts?

Tanx,

· Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Had this happen on my boat a few times. Both times the internal amp blew.

There really is not all that much that can cause this unless you have a mouse living behind your dash...
I would start by pulling out the head unit and checking out the harness. Then test it outside of the car. If you still cant hear anything I would say the head unit went south.

They are cheap enough to buy on ebay if its not covered under a warranty.

Oh I just thought you might try disconnecting the battery for a few mins to reset the radio and see if it comes back. Maybe its locked up somehow. Small chance but its worth a look.

· Registered
121 Posts
Not sure if its the same, but my son has a 2002 Chrysler Concorde. His has done this twice and both times it has been the fuse for the factory amp. On his it was the same fuse as the horn. Might see if you have a factory amp and if so, check the fuse. God luck.

· Premium Member
33,175 Posts
x2 on disconnecting the battery for a bit and swapping the fuse

if your radio has in deed somehow gone south, i'd see if the dealer would look at it, regardless if its under warranty, out of a goodwill "i only bought the car last week" kind of thing, mind you if you still have a warranty I wouldn't worry. If you do need to replace the head unit, if it has an aux. plug on the lower left corner of the radio, they are going for ~$50 on eBay

· Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem too until about 20 minutes ago. I sprayed the unit down with alcohol because things felt sticky. I pulled off the volume and tuner knobs to ckean behind them. I don’t know why but I began to hear a faint volume and had tge sudden ability to finesse the volume knob until a level “1” volume broke through some static! Very exciting! I decided I would repeat everything I had just done. That’s when I discovered that I could easily reach the other levels by pulling and turning the volume knob at the same time. Everything plays perfectly now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts