Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, im new to this forum...i need some help, i have a 07' caliber 2.4RT. As of recently i hear a whining/moaning noise whenever i press the accelerator, especially getting lowder from third gear onwards. The noise disappears when - 1)the car is in neutral, 2) as soon as i take my foot of the accelerator, .......any ideas what it could be?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Hi guys, im new to this forum...i need some help, i have a 07' caliber 2.4RT. As of recently i hear a whining/moaning noise whenever i press the accelerator, especially getting lowder from third gear onwards. The noise disappears when - 1)the car is in neutral, 2) as soon as i take my foot of the accelerator, .......any ideas what it could be?
Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell roughly where the sound is coming from (i.e driver side, under the hood, etc)?
Does the pitch change with the RPMs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, Thanks for responding.......the noise sounds like its coming from under the hood. It definately cannot be wheel bearings cos' when i put the clutch in and roll the noise dissapears. It does get louder as RPM increases. As soon as I leave the accelerator, the noise dissapears also. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There shouldn't be a problem with the oil (or at least I hope not)cos' the last service was done by the dealer. Whats strange to me is : why do I hear this noise only when I press the accelerator while driving? When the car is parked and I rev it up on neutral, theres no noise...Could it be something to do with the transmission? Its almost like a diesel car type of sound-from 3rd to 5th gear a continuous whining noise......

·
Registered
382 Posts
Its getting closer to sounding like a transmission issue, but still lots of things it could be, so hard to say without hearing it, can you make a video? How many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
does it sound mechanical? Or coming from the inside?

This is a long shot but do you have aftermarket speakers?
I had that same thought, but I haven't seen that in a number of years, and based on what he has described, I don't think that is the case. Worth asking though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys. Thanks for all the responses...The speakers in the car are all stock speakers. However, I recently installed headrest DVD screens to the car but I never connected the cables to the radio. The DVD screens can play seperate with its own speakers built in. Maybe I should disconnect the screens and see what happens........

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I just noticed your other forum post where you introduce yourself and mention you added 20" rims. Being early in the morning here, I am leaning towards those being related to the issue (at least more then the DVD player). Did the noise start after the new shoes where added?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Northern Mike, I bought the 20" rims in 2009 but it has been on and off the car, for motorplan reason's. Since the motorplan expired in October last year, the rims remained on the car but this noise only started in January this year.........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi again, theres another thing I picked up...when I press and release the clutch when changing gears while driving I hear like an engaging sound which was never there before. Its loud and when clutch is released it sounds abit like that whine noise I was talking about. This happens from first to fifth gear. Then from 3rd gear, that whining noise continues while accelerating.......as described earlier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts