Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my wife today. She called to inform me that she has damaged the Caliber. According to her, she was backing up, and backed into a post, or a large rock, or something. Anyway, she says there is a fist sized dent in the back bumper and the paint flaked off the area.

I haven't seen the damage yet, but I'm not looking forward to what I'm going to see when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a real big deal as long as Wifey is OK....the car can be repaired.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Higher rear hatch window, its hard to get used to. (don't blame her) I'm telling my wife to scan the back on the car before getting in. She's also having problems with the no-see-hood and wants a ball on a string in the garage as a parking aid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I almost backed into a short jogger last night. Joggers are much more squishy and don't cause as much damage as a post or rock. So it might not have been as bad. In my opinion joggers need to stay inside on a treadmill.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got home and checked out the damage. The driver's side corner of the bumper was pushed in with a fist size dent. All of the damage was limited to the area below the natural crease in the bumper. For the fix, I used the scissor jack from the back, wedged it between the muffler and the inside of the bumper (with a small block of round wood against the bumper's inside surface) and expanded the jack. The pressure from the jack pushed the dent back out. Other than some scratched paint, you can even see the bumper was damaged.

By the way, has anyone else found the secret stash in the spare tire area? There are some black baggies stuffed behind the plastic around the spare tire. I think it's used for sound deadening.

xcanuk said:
She's also having problems with the no-see-hood and wants a ball on a string in the garage as a parking aid.
I've been doing that for years for my wife. She only stands 4'10" and has always had a hard time seeing the front of our cars. When the rubber ball makes contact with the windshield, she knows to stop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was using a weedeater in my yard and it flung a rock into my Caliber parked in the driveway. Caused a small ding. Oh well. Guess its not new anymore!

·
Registered
361 Posts
xcanuk said:
Higher rear hatch window, its hard to get used to. (don't blame her) I'm telling my wife to scan the back on the car before getting in. She's also having problems with the no-see-hood and wants a ball on a string in the garage as a parking aid.
I've been turning on the headlights while parking. When a gap in the light starts to form in the center, I know I'm close enough. The close you get to the wall, the larger the dark spot becomes. That should work if there's half decent flat surface or some other point of reference in the back of your garage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Michael K. said:
I've been doing that for years for my wife. She only stands 4'10" and has always had a hard time seeing the front of our cars. When the rubber ball makes contact with the windshield, she knows to stop.
I was wondering how that would be used. I'm 5'4" and for the first month I had to park twice since I was like a yard and a half further back than I needed to be... Never knew how important that hood was to me. Sad I'm so proud to park in one try. Never had this problem before this car.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
savimia said:
I was wondering how that would be used.
Easiest way to set it up is as follows;
1.) Get a large "bouncy ball", the kind you find in those quarter vending machines.
2.) Attach a string to the ball that will reach from the ceiling to almost the floor of the garage. You will end up cutting off some of the string. To attach the string, I put a small screw into the ball and tied the string around the screw.
3.) Park the car where you want it.
4.) Holding the string against the ceiling, adjust it so that the ball touches the center of the driver's side of the windshield.
5.) Mark the spot on the ceiling where the string touches. Also mark the string at the point where it touches the ceiling.
6.) Put a small screw or nail into the ceiling at the mark.
7.) Cut the string about 1"-3" past the mark and tie the string to the screw/nail. The excess is so you can tie it without losing any length between the mark and the ball.

Now, whenever you pull in, just stop the car when the ball touches the windshield.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Michael K. said:
Easiest way to set it up is as follows;
1.) Get a large "bouncy ball", the kind you find in those quarter vending machines.
2.) Attach a string to the ball that will reach from the ceiling to almost the floor of the garage. You will end up cutting off some of the string. To attach the string, I put a small screw into the ball and tied the string around the screw.
3.) Park the car where you want it.
4.) Holding the string against the ceiling, adjust it so that the ball touches the center of the driver's side of the windshield.
5.) Mark the spot on the ceiling where the string touches. Also mark the string at the point where it touches the ceiling.
6.) Put a small screw or nail into the ceiling at the mark.
7.) Cut the string about 1"-3" past the mark and tie the string to the screw/nail. The excess is so you can tie it without losing any length between the mark and the ball.

Now, whenever you pull in, just stop the car when the ball touches the windshield.
And it makes for a GREAT cat toy!!! Put them on your hood and drive at it really hard, then slam on the brakes at the last second!!! They will go flying!
(Make sure they are declawed, don't want to scratch your car.):D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts