Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first off I guess i need to explain why I am asking all this. I am currently overseas and have an offer on an R/T, yet have never seen one in real life. So I am asking all the friendly people around here for opinions. I have been offered as follows: Caliber R/T AWD, 7 yr-70,000 mile major component coverage, a ziebart vehicle protection package (rustproofing and such), chrome clad wheels, leather interior, AM/FM/Cassette/6 disk radio, security group, musicgate, heated seats, power express sunroof and leather interior group. The car is Marine blue pearl, with pastel slate gray leather.

They are asking 24,090.50 before taxes/license and all that. according to edmunds.com this seems to be about 500 over what "most people" are paying, but there is the 7 year warranty in there and I really have no way to research. I am also looking for opinions on the leather, I dont really need it but its the only car I can get delivered with a sunroof and in blue from the current inventory. Does anyone have any rants/raves on all this? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To me, that's a good price with that warranty in there. Are you locked into a specific dealership to have your warranty service completed, or is that the one that allows you to go to ANY dealership for service? Your price of $24k looks like standard price as if you would have built it on the Dodge web-site. The specific warranty package is the critical issue in this discussion.

The $500 difference might be the $500 rebate.

Tyke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To tell you the truth I havent gotten all the details on the warranty, there is supposed to be a 1250 rebate in there, but there is also a "domestic vehicle inland freight charge" of 560, a 150 "stock storage fee", and a 250 "delivery point processing service". I know thats not figured into the build a vehicle on the dodge site. I will have to look into the warranty situation because that could have a great deal on where I have the vehicle delivered. It seems to be a good price, and I'm sure with the popularity of this vehicle dealers aren't budging much on price haggling beyond the 500 incentive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the leather package on my Caliber and am happy with it. It has a good feel and is not too slippery. If you're otherwise satisfied with the Caliber you've been offered, I wouldn't decline because of the leather.

·
Registered
245 Posts
bruisey said:
OK first off I guess i need to explain why I am asking all this. I am currently overseas and have an offer on an R/T, yet have never seen one in real life. So I am asking all the friendly people around here for opinions. I have been offered as follows: Caliber R/T AWD, 7 yr-70,000 mile major component coverage, a ziebart vehicle protection package (rustproofing and such), chrome clad wheels, leather interior, AM/FM/Cassette/6 disk radio, security group, musicgate, heated seats, power express sunroof and leather interior group. The car is Marine blue pearl, with pastel slate gray leather.

They are asking 24,090.50 before taxes/license and all that. according to edmunds.com this seems to be about 500 over what "most people" are paying, but there is the 7 year warranty in there and I really have no way to research. I am also looking for opinions on the leather, I dont really need it but its the only car I can get delivered with a sunroof and in blue from the current inventory. Does anyone have any rants/raves on all this? Thanks for all the help.
Let’s break down the MSRP of the vehicle; I don’t have international pricing so here is the US equivalent for the identical vehicle.

Caliber R/T AWD (X Package) - $19,425 + $560 Destination ($19,985)
• Leather Interior Group & Heated Seats - $910
• AM/FM/Cassette/6 Disk CD/MP3 Radio - $420
• Musicgate Sound System - $400
• Security Group - $200
• Power Express Sunroof - $750
• Chrome Clad Wheels - $700
• Marine blue pearl w/slate gray leather interior - no additional charge

The MSRP of that vehicle come to $23,365 not including applicable taxes. A overall a difference of $725.50 less then the quoted price.

Keep in mind that this does not take into account the additional service contract or Ziebart protection package. I would check with the dealership to see who the Service contract is underwritten by and closely follow its terms. Not all dealerships will honor a 3rd party service contract in the event you move or have difficulties at the original dealership. If it was issued under DaimlerChrysler service contacts then it will be honored at any Dodge dealership (check the terms for international coverage).

Overall it seems like your getting a fair price. Edmunds may be good for some people but the average reported price seems a tad low, especially considering the additional options that were included.

Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am wondering what is in the Security Group. I asked the Fleet guy for the Tonnaue Cover, he said not available. I am told the Security has the cover, alarm and carpet for the cargoi area. Can anyone confirm this???
I paid $275.00 for just the alaarm and got nothing else.
Sounds like I otta have a cover and cargo carpet coming N/C!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
I am wondering what is in the Security Group. I asked the Fleet guy for the Tonnaue Cover, he said not available. I am told the Security has the cover, alarm and carpet for the cargoi area. Can anyone confirm this???

My dealer gave me the security group free, but it is normally $195 here. On my papers it includes Air filtering (whatever that is), security alarm, and soft tonneau cover.
So...go get your free tonneau cover...if you paid for the security group.

·
Registered
901 Posts
MAGNUM8R said:
carpet for the cargo area?? That's not usually in the security group, as I understand it. As giddyupeh wrote, Security Group is supposed to include the intrusion alarm, air filtration, and tonneau cover.

·
Registered
311 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
As giddyupeh wrote, Security Group is supposed to include the intrusion alarm, air filtration, and tonneau cover.
Yep...that's what I got. ...and no, I didn't get that cargo carpet.

Tyke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered my Caliber! I'm so excited now, I just have to hope everything works out and I can survive until june when I can actually accept delivery. After talking to my sales rep I found out that the "warranty" was actually a maintenance plan with a small deductible on top of the fee that i would be financing. I had him cancel that and the ziebart protection package since I read some iffy reviews, and to keep the warranty they offer it needs yearly inspection and there are no dealers in the Arizona/Texas area. Speaking of that, is there a "break in" period for this car and if so what is it? I will most likely be picking the car up in Arizona and getting it licensed there and then driving to my new home of Texas. Sounds odd but im military so it's ok. The 700 or so miles that early in the cars life arent gonna mess anything up right? Also is there any type of scheduled inspection/maintenance early in the cars life? Thanks again for all the help you all are giving :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah that "100,000" mile warranty IS a maintenance plan. It sounds good on paper, but unless you really think you are going to put 100,000 miles very quickly on your car, it is not worth it. Many people trade the car before that number.
Our Company leased a 98 Ram Van that had that, and everytime it had a problem (many) they always ended up paying more than the $100 deductible!

Ziebart??? You live in a heated area with no salt on the roads, right? DCX has been pretty good with their undercarriage treatments for some years now. Many of my 90's vehicles never showed anything but light corrosion at welds, even from being in a city that uses HEAVY salt. The truck frames are a different story though!!

I guess I would follow the owners manual about break in and also use a little discretion with keeping just "one" speed = limit the cruise useage! For the course of automobile history the manufs. always tell you to vary your speed for the first xxx number of miles, promotes good piston ring sealing, bearing break in, etc...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey, one more thing....

Don't military personnel get some type of discount right now? I thought I read that somewhere or someone told me about it! I could be thinking of something else.......

My R/T went out the door for 19,500 plus tax/title. Extra cost Orange, and extra cost Sunroof. Sticker I have shows 20,885 and then we got down to 19,500. Bought it first day or so of March, been getting 25/26 avg!

·
Registered
65 Posts
OrangeRT said:
Hey, one more thing....

My R/T went out the door for 19,500 plus tax/title. Extra cost Orange, and extra cost Sunroof.
I can't believe in the states you have to pay extra for the orange and yellow (no extra cost for any colour in Canada) and daylight running lights (standard here too).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds great! This varying engine speed thing will force me to use the autostick every once in a while! I gotta quit lurkin around this forum, everytime I log in I get excited about the new car!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Giddyupeh said:
I can't believe in the states you have to pay extra for the orange and yellow (no extra cost for any colour in Canada) and daylight running lights (standard here too).
According to the Kanadian Dodge build site, you can't order an orange or yellow RT........but the SX and SXT you can, and your're right, no charge for those colours......I think you can order the other RT colours, though, if you order from the dealer ..................:)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Giddyupeh said:
It is probably included with the price I would imagine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
pacerman said:
According to the Kanadian Dodge build site, you can't order an orange or yellow RT........but the SX and SXT you can, and your're right, no charge for those colours......I think you can order the other RT colours, though, if you order from the dealer ..................:)

That "dodge.ca" site is messed up, you can't get a sunroof with SXT and sport package, or Orange (or yellow) with colour-keyed inserts...both of which I did when I ordered mine.
I saw a Sunburst Orange R/T a couple weeks ago where I am getting my Caliber. So again, check with your dealer before assuming the websites are correct. That is one major complaint I have with DaimlerChrysler...they need to keep up their websites, and correct mistakes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Giddyupeh said:
... So again, check with your dealer before assuming the websites are correct. That is one major complaint I have with DaimlerChrysler...they need to keep up their websites, and correct mistakes.
Agreed, the US one has a ton of problems as well. They definitely need to make sure that everything on the website is right especially in the very beginning when the deale's don't know very much about the cars or their options.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts