Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test did a length test drive yesterday of a off the truck RT. All the electronics and fuses were not installed/programmed yet. We went out to open the tailgate and it wouldn't open. I then noticed there is no key lock from the outside, or nothing on the inside to open it. Is it true that the only way to open the tailgate is from the rear and only when the door locks control it? Seems way to wierd for me.

What's up guys (and gals?)

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is true as stated. The only door that you can put a key in to unlock is the driver's side door.

·
Registered
245 Posts
True, its quite common on vehicles with keyless remote entry as a standard option.

If you were to purchase an Caliber SE, the vehicle should have key lock cylinders on the front driver/passenger side doors along with the hatch entrances. The engineers probably assumed most people will unlock the vehicle remotely and opted for the cleaner look by excluding these items.

Dan

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like the remote-key. Great stuff.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out the remote on the RT I drove yesterday. There are only 3 buttons, lock, unlock and panic. I guess there is no seperate button for the hatch. I thought that was wierd. Oh well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The rear hatch opens only from the outside, not from the inside. Hatch opens only when the door locks are in unlocked position, either by unlocking doors from inside, or unlocking the doors using keyless remote. There's no hatch button on keyless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have the owners manual but if the hatch release is like the Magnum, there should be a small pop out panel on the inside that allows access to a release lever. The Magnum latch is electric and the battery is in the back so they provided the manual release.

·
Registered
135 Posts
DodgeInfoCenter said:
True, its quite common on vehicles with keyless remote entry as a standard option.

If you were to purchase an Caliber SE, the vehicle should have key lock cylinders on the front driver/passenger side doors along with the hatch entrances. The engineers probably assumed most people will unlock the vehicle remotely and opted for the cleaner look by excluding these items.

Dan
I have an SE and there is no keyhole except for the drivers door.

·
Registered
62 Posts
karenh56 said:
I checked out the remote on the RT I drove yesterday. There are only 3 buttons, lock, unlock and panic. I guess there is no seperate button for the hatch. I thought that was wierd. Oh well.
The standard programming (unless the dealer changed mine before I got it) on that is push the unlock button once and it unlocks the drivers only, push it twice quickly and it unlocks everything. I don't have the manual handy, but that can be reprogrammed so that everything unlocks on the first push of the unlock button on the remote, and there may be more options as well. If you push the unlock button on the inside of the door, it unlocks everything.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Reprogramming that unlock option was what I did the second day of ownership. One click and ALL doors/hatch are unlocked.

Tyke

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't do that. 1 click for me only please. I have to park in a parking garage and only want me as the passenger. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
muzzysgirl said:
I don't do that. 1 click for me only please. I have to park in a parking garage and only want me as the passenger. :)
I agree! I don't want anyone else sneaking in! ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
muzzysgirl - katiescaliber,
I completely understand. One look at me, and no one really wants to push up on me. ...and even when I'm concerned, I've hit the lock button immediately after opening the driver door. There are distinct advantages to doing both the one-door and all-doors 1 click.

Tyke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts