Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been following the Caliber since pre-production along with the Jeep Patriot. I was hesitant over the CVT and, with the Patriot coming on-line last I decided not to purchase anything until it showed up. I like both vehicles but went with the Patriot and a CVT. I really like it so far and hit 27 mpg on my first tank. What I want to know is everyone's odometer reading and a general note of shop visits. Caliber/Compass owners have had their cars on the road longer, so I was curious how they have been holding up. I signed my Patriot and 04 Durango up on TrueDelta also.

Patriot Sport, 2.4 CVT with 980 miles

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I Picked mine up late september and still only have 2600 miles on it. I drive it daily for a very short commute to work. Its been to the shop to replace a tweeter and the seat ratcheting device. Now im bringing it in for the TSB to eliminate the clacking engine noise and improved off teh line acceleration. Its been great mechanically and just gets better every day.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just crossed 11000 miles. Been in the shop for a total of almost 2 weeks due to a squeaking noise coming from the engine. Most of the delay was due to Dodge engineers getting involved and wanting things done a certain way, and completely replacing every single belt driven item on my motor. Other than that, has only been in for oil changes, and once to check out a problem with the throttle cutting out while driving which the dealer couldn't replicate. Happened twice each time on a full day long driving trip about 80% of the way through the trip. Had to shut the car off, and re-start to regain throttle control. Luckily, both times it happened, I was not actually on the freeway. The CVT has performed flawlessly. You have any pictures of your Patriot. As far as I know, you are the first Patriot owner here, and are more than welcome to stay. I average about 28mpg freeway, and 22-23mpg in the city.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
14k miles 1 visit to have the wheels balanced and another to have the rotors turned. other than that pretty pleased.. the gas mileage could be better but oh well.. we put 2 bikes one a mountain and my little boys bike in it the other day with no issues. We love the room!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Almost 14000kms and had transmission replaced already. I've been hearing stories on other boards about some problems, some guy on the other board *************.com was getting jerked around by dodge, and I kinda went through the same ordeal. Kinda not loving the reliabiliy but still in love with it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CALIBERRICEROCKET said:
Almost 14000kms and had transmission replaced already. I've been hearing stories on other boards about some problems, some guy on the other board *************.com was getting jerked around by dodge, and I kinda went through the same ordeal. Kinda not loving the reliabiliy but still in love with it.
You have to expect a few problems with the first model year of a new vehicle. To buy a brand new model car with all new motor and transmission and expect it to work perfectly on every vehicle is asking a little much. I was actually expecting to have a few more problems than I have had with mine. Shoot, we had our Cali in to the dealer due a squeaking waterpump. Dealer had it for almost three weeks straight because instead of just replacing the waterpump, the wonderful engineers at DCX wanted the dealer to remove every belt driven part on the motor so they could re-assemble it on a bench motor they had to try and re-create the problem and see if it was just a bad water pump, or if something else caused it. And from what was reported back to us by DCX, our Caliber has been the only one with this reported problem so far.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
4800 miles, no problems yet, no visits anywhere. I do my own maintenance thank you, nobody touches my car! :D
As do i... but i keep that to my other cars. No point in buying new if you dont use the warrenty

·
Registered
976 Posts
10,000km/6200 miles not a problem,only see dealer for free oil changes
and while not getting EPA mpg it only out 2-3mpg.
Stopped worrying about mpg and sometimes drive it like I stole it.

TSB#18-031-07 done 05-03-07-Big improvement!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Fingernipp said:
As do i... but i keep that to my other cars. No point in buying new if you dont use the warrenty
true, if something breaks thats covered by warranty, they will fix that, its root cause, and only that and its root cause! :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Only reason I take mine in for oil changes is because they are free for the first year. And like mentioned, why buy a new car with a warranty if you're not going to use it. I'll use it to the very last mile to make sure I don't have to pay to fix any problems it might have.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've got 11,135 on mine right now. Had some small issues, mostly my being picky. Nothing disabling. The worst thing was the TCM communication failure which caused the tranny to go into limp mode occasionally, but that was fixed with the first software flash. The only other notable thing was the radio was replaced due to the AUX jack falling apart. I wish my gas milage was better, but that's probably due to the fact that I broke in in hard, but hopefully tomorrow I'll see if that is the case. I love the car, love the ride, and it looks sharp :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
27000 kms since April 06, other than getting the TSB flashes done, one licence plate bulb burned out.

Been looking at the "North" version of the Patriot at the local dealers. I think it's for Canada only, 4WD, 2.4 engine and well appointed for just a bit more than I paid for the Caliber. About time to replace the old Mercedes or I might have to get a job to keep it running. The Jeep also has more road clearance.

"The Canadian market Patriot North model includes pretty much everything you'd want in a vehicle: Power windows, locks and mirrors; air conditioning; and safety gear such as side-curtain air bags, ABS, ESP and electronic roll mitigation. "

·
Registered
340 Posts
23300 so far. Both rear wheel bearings failed. Front right wheel bearing failed.

She gave the car to me when the noise was still there after the rear bearing replacement. Then the front was fixed and now the wife took it back when it was quiet. DARN!

Really no big deal, wheel bearings go bad on every make.

Still strong at 26 mpg.

·
Registered
432 Posts
6250 kms since purchase in October 2006.

TSB updates and installation of snow tires. No mechanical problems.

Extreemly satisfied with my Caliber.

·
Registered
190 Posts
25500 Miles and counting. Bought in June 2006 with Lifetime Oil Changes for US$199. So I've had the oil changed regularly and tire rotations at 6,000 miles. No mechanical problems to report so far...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had mine since June 2006 and it has about 8600 miles on it. I've only had it in the shop for routine oil changes and to have a flat tire patched. Nothing out of the ordinary.
As far as gas mileage, let's just say I drive my car for fun, not fuel economy. :) I can't help it. I'm a NASCAR fan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
26980 since APR2006 and counting, visit the shop 3 times, 1. they change the rack and pinion. 2. for the muffler stuff and 3. tbs update and I have to go for the new TBS update this week.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts