Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have been wanting upgrade my base sound system. I want to keep the stock head unit to avoid thieves. I like the idea of the OEM Kicker speakers. But I would also like to install two front dash speakers and a small sub-woofer package. But I don't know the OEM Kicker speakers will have these or if they will.I don't know very much about sound systems. What would be some good reccomendations to fit my needs?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed the OEM Kicker speaker upgrade in my Caliber For $82.99 a pair and about 15 minutes work. You won't need a Sub, unless you realy need thump alot. Thes Kickers thump hard as it is I dont think anyone would be disapointed with this upgrade efro the Stock system.
IMO.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you have stock locations in your dash they should be 3-1/2" speakers. As far as the subwoofer you need to get something with high level inputs or a special adapter that will give you a set of rca's to run a powered subwoofer. check out crutchfield.com............you don't have to buy from there, but their website may help you find what you are looking for. Careful on what speakers you buy......most auto speakers are 4ohm and some are 2ohm. Stay away from 2ohms unless your amplifier is stable to that impedance. Unless it's a mistake just stay away from the infinity kappa series.....they say they are 2ohm. As far as subwoofers if you want it with a built-in amp, Bazooka makes a few different sizes and infinity makes the bass-link series, both have high level inputs as well as rca. Good luck!......let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
venom35 said:
I installed 4 of the Polk Audio DB690 6x9's. They sound great but I think an amp would really help
How do you figure ouy which wire is + and which is -?

·
Registered
413 Posts
venom35 said:
I installed 4 of the Polk Audio DB690 6x9's. They sound great but I think an amp would really help
According to crutchfield ( which i know is not gospel ) the DB690's arent a direct fit......did you have to modify? or did they just fit right in?

·
Registered
50 Posts
there are a couple little plastic bumps in the door panel where the speaker mounts. I just trimmed them off. As far as what was + or - I just looked at the wires before I pulled the old ones. If I had a wire with green stripe on the right terminal thats where I put it on the new speakerl.

·
Registered
413 Posts
On my speakers the wires are combined into one connector.....gonna have to cut it off and make sure which is + and -

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think crutchfield had adapters for the caliber but I bought my speakers at circuit city and they didnt have any. Im to impatient and wasnt going to wait for adapters in the mail.

·
Registered
413 Posts
thanks venom, that will make it much easier!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
stock sucks! don't buy thoseadaptors.. you can pop test any speaker using a battery ( AA )... if the speaker pushes forward you have the + and - correct. your new speakers should come with wires ready to attatch to the terminals on the new speakers ... then use ( i call them vampire clamps ) that will allow you to hook the new wires into the factory .... really hard to discribe,,, they are blue and are sold at wal-mart. ( or any place that has an auto center )

·
Registered
413 Posts
boostdog said:
stock sucks! don't buy thoseadaptors.. you can pop test any speaker using a battery ( AA )... if the speaker pushes forward you have the + and - correct. your new speakers should come with wires ready to attatch to the terminals on the new speakers ... then use ( i call them vampire clamps ) that will allow you to hook the new wires into the factory .... really hard to discribe,,, they are blue and are sold at wal-mart. ( or any place that has an auto center )
Actually boostdog those connectors you refer about dont exactly make a good connection(they are a quick fix)..........I'd rather cut the stock connector off and crimp or solder new spade connectors on for a better connection. IMO the adapter would supply a better connection than those. Remember the more connections in a wire, add more resistance...taking away performance. Keep in mind at the moment I am running a stock radio...........If I were to upgrade to an aftermarket radio I would run new wires directly from my radio to the speakers, if possible.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Do a resistance test and see for your self.. you are correct but I/you are not running a ton of power and the quick connects work just fine for a simple install. I personally never cut any wire on my cars so that it may be returned to stock if needed. Each to his own..but I'll take a few watt decrease for ease of install as well as the ability to return to stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts