Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have received word that the first of several audio system upgrades are about to become available.

The first to be available will be the "Base Audio" upgrade kits. These kits will replace the front or rear door speakers with Kickers 6X9 2-way speakers offering a much cleaner sound, and tighter bass & Mids along with incredible highs from the tweeters.

In order to take full advantage of this upgrade, 2 kits will be required, 1 for the front doors, and 1 for the rear doors. The kits currently show a MSRP of $129.00 each, and once released we will be offering them for $109.95 each kit.

Here is a link to the install documents for this new upcoming kit.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/bb/uploads/KickerCaliberfront-rear.pdf

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats interesting. How do these compare with the Boston Acoustic speakers found with the MusicGate system? I find the sound quality of the boston acoustics musicgate system rather poor. Bass just thumps and mids and highs are simply not there. It can be cranked loud though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hmm...just searched around a bit. I see there are kits made to fit several different Dodge and Chrysler vehicles. Is there a kit for 2004 Durango's?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huff said:
Thats interesting. How do these compare with the Boston Acoustic speakers found with the MusicGate system? I find the sound quality of the boston acoustics musicgate system rather poor. Bass just thumps and mids and highs are simply not there. It can be cranked loud though.
The current kit is for Base Audio, the Premium Audio kits will be coming out further down the line. The difference is definetely noticable when you change from the BA's to the Kickers. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the front and rear door speaker sizes are 6X9's, then why couldn't you use any aftermarket brand 6X9's? Also, where in the link above does it mention that the upgrade kit uses Kicker brand speakers?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These speaker kits are made by the Kicker OEM division and meet all specifications to "Plug right in" to the factory harnesses and work flawlessly with the factory systems. The install sheets may not say Kicker in them, but the speakers are made by Kicker. There are several Kicker speaker kits available for several different models. These models include the Kicker Livin Loud systems available in the SRT4 and SRT8 vehicles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
so i'm assuming they are super efficient like the stock speakers and wont try to draw too much power?

·
Registered
44 Posts
[email protected] - you said that this is an upgrade kit for the "base audio" and that we'll know the difference when we switch from the Boston's to the Kicker's, are you saying that the "base audio" 4 speaker setup has Boston speakers or are they just plain 6X9's? Also, as far as aftermarket speakers "pluging right in" to factory wiring, you can buy speaker adapters at any Best Buy or Circuit City or any local car audio shop for about $5 a pair and hook up any aftermarket brand speakers, as long as they fit and aren't too deep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ted, I don't mind being the guinea pig on this one. Looks easy to switch out and the base factory speakers are crap. Please PM me when the upgraded speakers are available......I'll be your first customer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MiniMagnum said:
[email protected] - you said that this is an upgrade kit for the "base audio" and that we'll know the difference when we switch from the Boston's to the Kicker's, are you saying that the "base audio" 4 speaker setup has Boston speakers or are they just plain 6X9's? Also, as far as aftermarket speakers "pluging right in" to factory wiring, you can buy speaker adapters at any Best Buy or Circuit City or any local car audio shop for about $5 a pair and hook up any aftermarket brand speakers, as long as they fit and aren't too deep.
The kit I am speaking about is for Base Audio only, the premium audio kits will soon follow that you would need to use to replace the Boston's. Big difference between replacing factory speakers with aftermarket speakers that were not designed to work efficiently with the Boston Acoustics crossover system. The premium upgrade Kicker kit is just that, designed to work properly with the factory system and take full advantage of the factory crossover system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[email protected] I'm definitely interested in the upgrade kit you mentioned, and I was also wondering if there were any plans in the works for an upgrade kit to allow someone to add two additional tweeters to the base sound system? I think the premium sound system includes two speakers on the dash up near the windshield. My SXT has two of what looks like a grille section in the dash in each corner up near the windshield, I'm assuming that's where the speakers would go?

And yes, I would have liked to have bought a Caliber with the premium sound system so I wouldn't have to mess with upgrading it, but a light pole fell on my old car (true story) and I had about one week to get a new car, so I was forced to go with models I could find on the lots, none of which had the Musicgate system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there is a premium system front kit in the works, just hasn't yet received the engineers release. That kit will include the dash speakers and the front door speakers. Now the question is for those with base audio, are the wires already there for the dash speakers? The only thing I would suggest in this particular case. If you want to add the dash co-axil speakers, also add some "Bass Blockers" to them, as they cannot handle the bass. The door Mid-Bass woofers will do awesome, and the added highs and mids from the dash speakers will help bring it all together in a complete package. The only thing you need to add after that is that nice deep sub bass.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am very interested in the base system as well... keep us posted. I can be another guinea pig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we have sold several sets of these, but we have not heard back from our customers. Those of you who bought these, could you please post your review of the new Kicker speakers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My review of these speakers can be found under the Audio Visual Discussion secton of the Forum under Kicker OEM Upgrade Speakers -- Review

·
Registered
268 Posts
are the stock speakers normal 6x9s? we have an aftermarket deck and some new speakers may help the sound a little, so I thought some pioneer 6x9s would fit the bill since the deck is a pioneer. Although, I have to say the bass output of the stock speakers is impressive

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you going to utilize the factory speaker wiring?
If so, then the Kicker speakers are plug & play. You would not have to cut the wires to mount aftermarket speakers, they have the factory connector made to these.
If you thought the bass was good with the factory speakers, wait till you hear the bass with these Kickers.

Oh, yes the factory speakers are standard 6x9's.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are you going to utilize the factory speaker wiring?
If so, then the Kicker speakers are plug & play. You would not have to cut the wires to mount aftermarket speakers, they have the factory connector made to these.
If you thought the bass was good with the factory speakers, wait till you hear the bass with these Kickers.

Oh, yes the factory speakers are standard 6x9's.
I just figured I'd cut & splice the speaker wires, that's what I did in my truck.

that little bit wouldn't void the warranty would it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts