Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the forums for about a month now, but this is my first topic on these boards so bare with the noob for a moment.

I wanted to get some feedback from all the brand new Caliber owners considering you are the ones who decided to buy it and not some stupid car magazine. Therefore, your opinion means more because you drive it day in and day out and in my world that means you know more about the Caliber than they do.

So I wanted to guage some opinions and feedback to a few things about the car and your overall buying experience.

Here are some questions I hope you new owners don't mind taking the time to answer.

1: Why Caliber? What made you decide on the Caliber compared to other vehicles?
2: What vehicles was the Caliber competing against when you were car buying?
3: How does the handling on the Caliber? Do you feel that there's sufficient response when you move the steering wheel?
4: How do the materials feel inside? Cheap? Excellent quality? Or somewhere in the middle?
5: Does it seem slow in day to day driving or does power output seem quite sufficient?
6: How is the fuel economy stacking up in the Caliber? What are your averages?
7: How is the comfort of the car? Do the seats and ride comform to a pleasant driving experience? How is the backseat comfort?
8: What's the biggest gripe you have about Caliber?
9: What's the first thing (if anything) you'd change about the Caliber? Would you add something to the vehicle to make it better?
10: What's your favorite thing about owning a Caliber? What makes you enjoy the car immensely on a day to day basis?
11: Lastly, if you were going to sell the Caliber to someone, how would you go about it? What would be the biggest selling point you would make to someone about the vehicle?

If you don't mind answering those questions I would appreciate it immensely. I am a prospective Caliber buyer and would enjoy hearing some real feedback from owners. I like a lot of things about the Caliber and have seen a few in person. It is at the price point where I intend to be shopping later this summer so if you wouldn't mind answering these questions, it would be very cool of you guys. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Wookie,

I got my Caliber 2 weeks ago, did about 400KM. Here's what I can say... Good luck!

A: Last car was a 2 door Civic, being 6'5" I needed something more roomy. This car feels bigger than other of its class. I liked the driving position, the car is higher from the ground than competitors.

A: Mazda3, Vibe/Matrix

3: How does the handling on the Caliber? Do you feel that there's sufficient response when you move the steering wheel?

A: Yes I haven't noticed anything wrong with handling.

4: How do the materials feel inside? Cheap? Excellent quality? Or somewhere in the middle?

A: I would say somewhere in the middle, It is definetely looks cheaper than Honda and Mazda but I don't think it's that bad. I read a lot of bad comments about this... It's true that there's a lot of plastic, but I don't think it's a big deal. What's more important I think, the instrument cluster, center stack and other controls, are very well done and seem robust.

5: Does it seem slow in day to day driving or does power output seem quite sufficient?

A: Changing from a standard 5-speeds to CVT2 I had to change my driving. You have to test drive it to understand. 0-30km/h acceleration is a bit slow but I am loving how smooth this tranny is...

Can't say yet...

7: How is the comfort of the car? Do the seats and ride comform to a pleasant driving experience? How is the backseat comfort?

A: Great if you compare the car to others of it's class, It feels more like a small SUV than a compact. Front-seat headroom is impressive.

None. I had a small problem the first day I had it with some part that is controlling accessories like headlights, flashers, etc (Something they called "T-PIN" I think). Dealer changed it and since then, everything works great.

9: What's the first thing (if anything) you'd change about the Caliber? Would you add something to the vehicle to make it better?

A: Tint will look great on my black SXT, will probably do it next week. Also need a hitch but that's it. Antenna kinda looks weird too.

10: What's your favorite thing about owning a Caliber? What makes you enjoy the car immensely on a day to day basis?

A: COMFORT and CVT2. And I have to say that I like being the only guy in town with a Caliber! They are still very hard to find here...

11: Lastly, if you were going to sell the Caliber to someone, how would you go about it? What would be the biggest selling point you would make to someone about the vehicle?

A: The fact that this car feels bigger and for the same options, is like 3000$ CAD less expensive than competitors.

·
Registered
226 Posts
1. I wanted something that I would be able to drive on the snow safely. I drive a lot for work. I also wanted something that I could haul my kids, dogs and groceries in. I liked that it was AWD with a decent gas mileage. I also needed an excuse to get rid of the mini van. :)

2. I thought about trading in my van and SRT-4 for a Charger.

3. Yes, great handeling. I have to avoid deer pretty much daily along with stupid U of I students who think they own the world. You grab the wheel and it goes. I can also take the on ramps on the highway like they are nothing. It's quite fun actually.

4. Well... I thought that the models without the leather were extrememly cheap. The interior is very plastic-y. But, then again all interiors are. I just realized that it was the texture that was bothering me. NOt the plastic.

5. Once you get used to the CVT, it doesn't seem slow. If you don't listen and just pay attention to the acceleration; it has a good pickup. I also drive a little more higher powered vehicles so everything tends to seem slow. :)

6. I average 23-26 mpg. We also have Iowa's Craptacular gas with no MTBE additives. I also do a 50/50 split with highway/city driving.

7. I find that the seats are comfortable for all passengers. Big and small. I love that I can adjust the lumbar support as well. The kids love that they can reclince the seats in the back and relax on our longer journeys. I've had adult passengers in the back and they felt comfortable and not cramped like they do in my SRT-4.

8. My Aluminum Chrome Clad aka Chromed covered plastic wheels. $800 package that is not worth it.

9. The arm rest. I can't stand how it slides. I would just add a lock or somthing. I understand its supposed to be versitile for the short and the tall and has to slide back for the most inner cup holder, but I don't care for it.

10. Right now, all the attention. I think I've sold more Calibers than the Dodge dealer in town! I have people stop me all the time or park next to me and ask questions. I think its great that DCX has put out a vehicle that turns heads, created controversy (all my neon peeps) and is so reasonably priced.

11. Being that I have sold cars for a living, that's not a fair question to ask me. ;) It's just a great car with amenities.

I think that about sums it up. :) Hope that helps.

Reactions: SRT4SMACK

·
Registered
135 Posts
A. I am partial to Chrysler products. I find them to be priced lower than comparable products from the others. They tend to be more inovative in the styling deptartment as well.

A. Not much for me except maybe a PT Cruiser.

A. It does handle more like a rear drive vehicle than any front drive I have ever driven (this is a good thing). It handles well, much like the Neon I had before but with a slightly higher CG.

A. I think the materials are right on par with any other vehicle you find in this price range.

A. It feels a little slower than the Neon I had, but with the CVT trans. it is deceptive. Engine power seemed to increase greatly after engine break-in.

A. I have been averaging somewhere between the middle and low end of the advertised EPA 26-30 MPG.

A. I went on a 500 mile trip about a month ago and was quite comfortable. It would be nice if the elbow resting points had a little padding on them. I have not ridden in the back seat but I have had a 340 pound 6 ft. 3 in. man back there although not on a long trip.

A. A list some of my gripes and those of others can be found in this thread
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360

A. A list some of my suggestions and those of others can be found in this thread
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303

A. Tuning into one of my favorite Sirius radio stations and just enjoying the smooth jerkless ride you get from the CVT tranny along with the suspension.

A. That thought never crossed my mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts