Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone...
So this afternoon, I learned an important lesson. Never let a friend work on your car...

My good friend and I were sitting around this afternoon having a couple beers. For the past few days i've been telling him I needed an oil change, and he offered to do it for me. I'm sitting in my tailgate chair outside knockin a few back as he gets to work... Then I hear a hissing noise and I see a plume of fluid come out from under the car...

Apparently he tought that the nut next to the oil filter was the nut for the oil pan... Yeah... it sucks.

So now I have a problem... What the hell came out of my car, and what do I have to get it back in?!?!

Thanks everyone for your help and understanding... Take it easy,
-- Devsforev

·
Registered
343 Posts
Lesson learned.

What color fluid, and how much? If he undid the nut to the right of the oil filter (looking under the car with feet out forward) I believe that is the over pressure relief valve for the A/C compressor. (I just looked)

That would be the only thing that should be pressurized (cold engine) when the car is off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was bluish, and not a great deal came out, but it was under pressure.
Thanks for your quick response!

·
Registered
343 Posts
err, i hate when i don't edit in time.

read what I wrote before. :)

Blue-ish, sounds like the refridgerant, and/or the oil for the a/c compressor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, first I'd slap the stuffing out of your friend, some shadetree mechanic he is!

As far as being worried, I probably wouldn't use the A/C. If there are no marks on the nut from the wrench, I'd take it to the dealer and say "My A/C sucks, not keeping cool" If there are, you might be SOL, and have to pay to get it recharged. Not sure what they use any more, freon is long gone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer...
Not to undermine you, but we're sure this is the A/C coolent, right? I gotta drive 120 miles back home in the next couple days, and I don't want to start up my car and have the engine overheat and catch fire or anything, haha... You have been more than helpful. An nahh... There are no marks on the nut at all, thank god...

Sounds like i'm gonna have to get it recharged, eh?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I highly doubt it will catch fire. I am 99% sure it's the A/C refridgerent. You should be able to drive no problem, I doubt a quick squirt would hurt it that much, considering my old car's A/C condenser was taken out by a rock, and I had no problems, just no A/C. But of course, I would get a professional opinion, it's not worth the risk. Hopefully IBUILDCALIBERS or someone comes on soon and can else can tell us more. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all your help. I really appriciate you taking your time and being quick replying to me. I'll get it checked out first thing when I get home.

If anyone else has any other opinions or comments, please feel free to reply. Thanks again for your help!
-- Devsforev

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
No worrys...without pressure the A/C compressor clutch wont even engage due to a pressure switch to protect the pump from damage. Unless he left it open for a prolonged period of time allowing air to contaminate the system you can even grab a R-134a recharge kit and do it yourself if the dealer wont do it free.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Depends on where you live, in a high humidity area, the system will be contaminated if opened for longer than 20 minutes. This simply means there is moisture in the system which displaces refridgerant and oil, making it less effective and eventually corrodes from the inside.

Any technician worth their IMACA ALWAYS vacuums down the system for 15-20 minutes before recharging. A vacuum pump is the only way to get the moisture out and it's not a part your local shadetree mechanic or buddy will have laying around, it's quite an expensive peice.

·
Registered
574 Posts
They don't use R12 freon anymore but they use R134 now. GO to AutoZone or Advance auto and buy a $7 can of 134a and a little hose to fill your car with. Its EASY! and you should be UNDER $20 for the stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For those curious, he only left the plug off for a minute or so after realizing his mistake... I'm gonna head to the dealer first and see if I can swindle my way in to getting it taken care of. I kinda feel like if we had enough trouble changing oil, then recharging my A/C system might be better left to somebody more professional :p. If they give me trouble I suppose I'll do it myself, as long as dcjredline holds my hand through it, haha...

Thanks again everyone ;)
-- Devsforev

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Devsforev said:
...My good friend and I were sitting around this afternoon having a couple beers...
First of all - as a long time and dedicated Harley owner/rider, I could certainly see where THIS story was headed. :eek: :rolleyes:

But about the main issue - if it IS the AC and if you haven't had your Caliber for very long, the dealership attempt should work. I guess a lot depends on the dealership overall; mine checks all fluids and fluid-based/pressurized systems every time I take it in for service and tops off anything "short" at no charge (except engine oil) on any newer vehicle still under basic warranty.

In fact, I'd had mine over 6 months when I took it in for a paint defect repair. The service guy who took my Caliber to the contracted paint shop noticed that the AC didn't seem as cold as it should be, reported it to the service manager, and they completely recharged the system when it came back to them. This was all at no charge - their claim was it may have been undercharged from the factory or accidentally effected in some way during dealer prep, etc.

However, if it DOES end up costing you something to get the system recharged or whatever the problem ends up being, your buddy should make up for it.

If he's REALLY a "good friend", maybe he'll fix you on a date with a "good friend" of his ol' lady.

Or - maybe he'll fix you up on a date WITH his ol' lady.

It's a "long time and dedicated" biker thing, 'ya know? :eek: ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
LOL! Where do you live I just might. But really I have mine right outside and could take you some pictures VERY easily!! No problem thats why we are here.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I once got a call from a buddy who attempted to change his oil.... He tells me "my oil was really dirty.... it was RED." I then ask him to check the dipstick.... he realized it was still full. He drained his tranny fluid instead of engine oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dcjredline said:
LOL! Where do you live I just might. But really I have mine right outside and could take you some pictures VERY easily!! No problem thats why we are here.
Hahaha, that would be excellent. I'm actually driving home from Oswego, NY (where I go to college) tomorrow and headed to Rockland County, NY (about 1/2 hour north of NYC). Honestly, if I had another day to spare, I would seriously consider stopping by ;). I'm gonna try to hit up the dealership as soon as I get home, and if they give me crap then I might take you up on those pictures. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
dcjredline said:
They don't use R12 freon anymore but they use R134 now. GO to AutoZone or Advance auto and buy a $7 can of 134a and a little hose to fill your car with. Its EASY! and you should be UNDER $20 for the stuff.
Sure it's easy to do that, but will never be the same as it was for cooling ability. The only way to get it properly recharged is as mentioned already, have a professional put a vacuum pump on it before shooting anymore freon/oil into it. My father-in-law does commercial refridgeration for a living, and has all the equiptment needed to do this. Had him re-charge my '94 Thunderbird after I tried the Vatozone method, and it was a night and day difference in the cooling effect. I still used Vatozone refridgerant, but putting the vacuum on it and making sure the system is not leaking and dry made all the difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts