Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had an oil change done at a jiffy lube or some place like that for the Caliber. Just wondering if they have the filter for it ?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Probably not. But I'd never ever have my vehicle serviced at any quick lube type place. I know of too many major problems that have occurred. One such was a new Dodge Ram CTD taken to a Jiffy Lube. The cheap filter they used collapsed internally causing major engine damage. I don't know if Jiffy paid for the new engine. Mopar filters have a very good reputation so I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We took ours to a generic place for an oil change after driving it from southern California to central Texas, and they couldn't get the filter out saying it was a "dealership only" thing....

·
Registered
198 Posts
alli loves her cali said:
We took ours to a generic place for an oil change after driving it from southern California to central Texas, and they couldn't get the filter out saying it was a "dealership only" thing....
WRONG!! Te filter comes out like any other- twists off (you may need an oil filter wrench the first time as factory filters tend to be a bit tight). The filter may be dealer only at this time, but removal is not a dealer only thing.

P.S. I always PRE OIL the filter with about 1/3 L of oil as the vehicle is draining. Helps on the start up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made the mistake of having my oil changed on my old car at walmart a while back for the sake of convienence while shopping. will never go anywhere but the dealer now!!!! 900 dallars later finally got walmart to pay for breaking my old car. won't make that mistake with my new cali, its the dealer for me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you can find the proper replacement filter, K&N and Mobil1 filters are some of the best you can buy. I use K&N filters on my truck. Basically the same filter as the Mobil1, but it has a 1" nut on the end so you can use a normal 1" wrench to help take it off. They both use synthetic filter media, and filter smaller particles than most of the cheaper paper filters. Combined with synthetic oil, and you should never have any problems with oiling in the engine,

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sean said:
...(you may need an oil filter wrench the first time as factory filters tend to be a bit tight).
Man I'll say!!!!!! I couldn't get that filter off for anything! My filter wrench wouldn't even get it off. I had to take some rough sand-paper and sand that filter body till it was all sratched to hell and then finally the wrench would grip it (I couldn't get a tight enough grip on it in that space availible before the handle hit something and released the tention).

Everything is good now. Picked up the proprietary Mopar filters from the dealer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We just had our oil changed and they said it takes to special hemi filter and oil like the magnum, and it was like $15 more than normal. This was at the dealer, I wanna call BS..does anyone know if this is true.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Mobile one filters are rated well but I haven't seen them for our Calibers yet. Eventually I'm sure they'll be made. I've also heard the K&N oil filter is good but their air filters are horrible so I tend to just shy away from them all together. I'm lucky that I have a dealer only a couple miles away so its convenient to just take it there.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
CaliberChic said:
We just had our oil changed and they said it takes to special hemi filter and oil like the magnum, and it was like $15 more than normal. This was at the dealer, I wanna call BS..does anyone know if this is true.
Not sure about special oil. It's just a 5W-20 oil that you can buy at any parts store. As for the filter, for now it's a dealer only item, but I'm sure that will change soon as well. SOunds like the dealer just giving you a BS line. Should add that to the thread about dealer BS lines. I have free oil changes for a year from the dealer on mine, but after that, I'll be doing my own. Maybe by then there will be other filters on the market.

·
Registered
198 Posts
GOT said:
Man I'll say!!!!!! I couldn't get that filter off for anything! My filter wrench wouldn't even get it off. I had to take some rough sand-paper and sand that filter body till it was all sratched to hell and then finally the wrench would grip it
Great idea!! This one time (at band camp- WAIT, that wasn't me...), I musta overtightened the filter on the van. NOTHING I did would loosen it. I ended up punching a screw driver through it to use that as a torque device. Of course, oil spurted everywhere and I ended up tearing the metal off the filter, but the screw mount stayed in place.

I then thought it was smart to use the propane torch- I tested some oil for burn factor, none, so I heated up the base and screw threads that remained. I put the torch down after heating, it fell over, and burnt my favourite hat!!

Eventually, I did get the base of the filter off, and a new hat!

Cost of oil filter wrench: $4
Cost of doing your own oil change: $20
Having a story for your kids to laugh at: PRICELESS!
:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Huff said:
. I've also heard the K&N ... air filters are horrible
Not really- they need to be cleaned properly and reoiled. K&N, like the Hog (tm) filters and others are low restriction air filters. You prolly won't notice any difference on a 4 cyl engine, but at 250 HP and up, low restriction filters make a difference.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The K&N air filters work great. All the talk of them letting in too much dirt is just bull****. Sure, they might let in more dirt that say a restrictive paper element filter, but the affects of the extra small particles of dirt is miniscule. As long as you chaneg your oil regularly, you will be okay. Had 120K miles on the motor in my '99 Dakota when I wrecked in in '01. 95% of those miles were with a K&N cone filter on the truck. Internally, the motor still looked fresh from the factory when I tore it apart.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sean said:
... I put the torch down after heating, it fell over, and burnt my favourite hat!!

Eventually, I did get the base of the filter off, and a new hat!

Cost of oil filter wrench: $4
Cost of doing your own oil change: $20
Having a story for your kids to laugh at: PRICELESS!
:eek:
So, how much was the new hat? :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Huff said:
I've also heard the K&N oil filter is good but their air filters are horrible so I tend to just shy away from them all together. I'm lucky that I have a dealer only a couple miles away so its convenient to just take it there.
BS...It made a world of difference on my Stratus R/T Coupe. I felt an immediate difference. I also live on a dirt road and sure it gets dirty, but it can be cheaply recharged. The oil (Mobil 1) when it comes out is actually pretty damn clean, even after 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
CaliberChic said:
"Like the Magnum"... what??? LOL! Man they are stacking it deep there! I wonder what that "special" filter and oil is... hah hah!

HSKR said:
Not sure about special oil. It's just a 5W-20 oil that you can buy at any parts store. As for the filter, for now it's a dealer only item, but I'm sure that will change soon as well. SOunds like the dealer just giving you a BS line. Should add that to the thread about dealer BS lines. I have free oil changes for a year from the dealer on mine, but after that, I'll be doing my own. Maybe by then there will be other filters on the market.
I'll never let anyone else change my oil. The one time I did, the dealer left the filter off! So they drive the car over to where I was waiting and there was a trail of liquid behind my car. I pointed it out and asked what in the world that was. They all started scurrying around and quickly tried taking me into another room. Oil sprayed everywhere on the undercarriage and my car smelled like burnt oil for a year (and the dealer refused to clean it!). Never again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
orangecalibersxt said:
BS...It made a world of difference on my Stratus R/T Coupe. I felt an immediate difference. I also live on a dirt road and sure it gets dirty, but it can be cheaply recharged. The oil (Mobil 1) when it comes out is actually pretty damn clean, even after 6,000 miles.
Was that a CAI kit or just a drop in? On typical production cars there have been no independent tests showing any substantial increase in HP or Torque from a drop in K&N. People tend to use the 'seat of the pants' method of determining increases in performance. Dynos say otherwise. Some cars benifit from the CAI but it's not the filter giving the increase. I used to use a drop in. Oil analysis made it clear that quite a bit of dirt was getting through. Other independent tests have clearly confirmed K&N's lack of filtering ability. If you want to use an aftermarket resusable filter look into Wix or Napa as testing has shown them far superiour to K&N.

·
Banned
4 Posts
SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil - 30% reduction in engine life

Hi guys…
Take a look at synlube.com / sae5w-20.htm
I m waiting for your comments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts