Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys might be an old topic..but did yall do yalls first oil change from the dealrship or through someone else(ex:jiffy lube) just wondeinrg..thanks.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did mine thru the dealership because it's free, otherwise I used to go to the jiffy lube if I didn't have time to do it myself.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I prefer the dealership because if they mess up it'll get fixed. I also prefer Mopar filters but not sure if anyone else makes a filter for the Caliber yet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just got mine done at the dealer. It's part of the extended warranty, so I might as well. Even if it wasn't free, I'd most likely still go to the dealer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did mine for Under $40 with Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic with a Mopar filter........because I dont trust the dealerships too much.........i'll do anything for repairs to my car that I can do myself unless it's a warranty item. But huff, I do believe there are filters out there you can get......I think Purolator and STP are available.........I stuck with Mopar for now until maybe Mobil 1, Purolator Pureone, or K&N get one going.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My dealership offers 1st and 5th free. I've had three done so far at the dealership...my preference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dealership here, they are free also.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i did mine with using castrol 5w-20 and a cheap filter for 19.29 and took 10 min. 1/2 which was wainting for the oil to drain. simple as pie. for those of you that have used synthetic has your gas mileage gone up? i used royal purple in my neon and it did nothing for the gas mileage or, from what i can tell, performace. which is why i did not ponie up and buy syntheic, but wonder if i should on the next change

·
Registered
361 Posts
mistashady said:
so first time oil change is free at the dealership?
It seems like a popular thing these days to give one or two for free. I got the extended warranty which includes all of my oil changes/tire rotations for a set limit of time (which I can't remember now, possibly the length of the warranty).

I also got some Customer Loyalty card in the mail a couple months after I got the car. It's got various things on it including some free oil changes as well as "buy X oil changes and get Y oil changes free" deal.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
boostdog said:
i did mine with using castrol 5w-20 and a cheap filter for 19.29 and took 10 min. 1/2 which was wainting for the oil to drain. simple as pie. for those of you that have used synthetic has your gas mileage gone up? i used royal purple in my neon and it did nothing for the gas mileage or, from what i can tell, performace. which is why i did not ponie up and buy syntheic, but wonder if i should on the next change
Royal Purple is garbage in daily driven vehicles. I'll never use it in any of mine. The motor I'm running now in my truck was used for 50Kmiles on Royal Purple before I got it. The whole inside of the engine was coated in a thin purple film. Not something I want on the inside of my motor. I run Mobil1 synthetic in my truck, and have free oil changes for a year from my dealer. After my one year of free oil changes i up, I will be doing my own oil changes using Mobil1 synthetic in the car as well. I could care less if it helps with gas mileage. I know for a fact it will extend the life of the motor and that's all I care about.

·
Registered
256 Posts
mistashady said:
so if u dont got the extended warranty you have to pay for an oil change at the dealership then?
I would think so. I got the extended and I prepaid for oil changes for the 100,000kms. Works out to about $22.00 CDN each.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
mistashady said:
so if u dont got the extended warranty you have to pay for an oil change at the dealership then?
The free oil changes is a dealer offered incentive. I don't think it has anything to do with the factory or even DC extended warranty.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with you hskr........gotta go synthetic for engine life, if gas mileage goes up it's just a bonus.

·
Registered
361 Posts
HSKR said:
The free oil changes is a dealer offered incentive. I don't think it has anything to do with the factory or even DC extended warranty.
The Gold warranty includes oil changes, tire rotations, and a few other maintenance things. It makes up for a good portion of the cost of the warranty (Compared to what I was paying at Mr. Lube over the life of the warranty anyway).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the extended warranty and they gave me a book to cover all of my oil changes for 60k miles or 5 years. Not sure if it covers rotations or anything though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
HSKR said:
I think the Gold Plus Warranty is a Canadian only thing. You get free oil changes for 5 years, plus the Bumper-to-bumper is extendted to the full 5 years as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That depends on when you decide to change your oil......I did mine at 1500 miles for the first time. Most people do it early on a new car because alot more contaminants are in the oil during break-in period. I did mine earlier also to change to synthetic.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts