Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a firm beleiver when it comes to cars that if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. So on all of my cars I have always done my own oil changes, brakes, timing belts etc. I could not find anywhere in the warranty book that tells me if I can change my own oil or not. With out voiding the warranty that is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Finland you have to go to a certified repair shop. All the modern cars have be checked with computer (they plug the car in to their system) and they have a checkout list to go through. And then you get a stamp to your warranty book :) So I think that it's same in NA also. How else the second owner can be sure if your has ever been in maintenance?

·
Registered
203 Posts
cdub998 said:
I am a firm beleiver when it comes to cars that if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. So on all of my cars I have always done my own oil changes, brakes, timing belts etc. I could not find anywhere in the warranty book that tells me if I can change my own oil or not. With out voiding the warranty that is.
If you do your own oil changes, just keep the receipts for the oil and filter to prove you changed the oil.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Its not a requirement in the US to keep records, only if you want to, and if you are worried about warranty work its a good idea to keep a record.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ejfb said:
Its not a requirement in the US to keep records, only if you want to, and if you are worried about warranty work its a good idea to keep a record.
That's just what my dealer told me. And if they said that, then there's probably a good chance that if you didn't keep records and a problem arises, then they will blame improper maintenance schedule and void warranty repair.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The warranty book explicitly lists what the warranty covers and what voids it. (The only thing that truly *VOIDS* the warranty has to do with the odometer.)

So yes you can change your own oil, and do all other scheduled maintenance, without worrying about the warranty. As long as you keep all your receipts and keep the maintenance log in the back of the book up to date too - as proof of proper maintenance.

Improper maintenance does not void the warranty; it just means that repairs arising from improper maintenance are not covered and must be paid for out of pocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Never had to worry about a warranty before. I will do my own changes after the first one or two then. Once I switch to synth.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
The warranty book explicitly lists what the warranty covers and what voids it. (The only thing that truly *VOIDS* the warranty has to do with the odometer.)

So yes you can change your own oil, and do all other scheduled maintenance, without worrying about the warranty. As long as you keep all your receipts and keep the maintenance log in the back of the book up to date too - as proof of proper maintenance.

Improper maintenance does not void the warranty; it just means that repairs arising from improper maintenance are not covered and must be paid for out of pocket.
That's what I meant. i didn't mean it would void the whole warranty, just the repairs they might try to blame on the improper maintenance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I always keep a little memo book/steno pad in my glove box and write down the date, mileage and what I did to the vehicle. My little maintenance log persay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you purchase a Caliber over here in Germany, you're getting a so called "5* extended warranty" (4 years/up to 50.000km) included by default.
It covers just about anything - oil changes, annular inspections (material and labour), full bumper to bumper warranty....

So you don't have to worry about who is going to do those oil changes and what not - even a loaner will be provided when your car is at the dealer for inspection/oil changes at no extra charge.

Maybe, this is part of the marketing campaign and is meant to resolve any doubts about the reliability of US made cars (compared to our domestic brands). At least, it is part of the price we pay over here :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts