Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my service contract info in the mail today, and the book says the oil & filter should be changed every 6k miles. I've been taught and have stood by changing at 3k. Synthetic or not, and especially being the break in oil, I think it's bullsh!t.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Look at the other maintenance schedule in the book. There is a schedule A and schedule B.

True, one does say every 6000 miles but specifically for very light usage. The other schedule, the 3000 mile one, is for "regular" to heavy use. There is a list at the beginning of that section to help you choose. Most use falls into the 3000 mile schedule.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Trythisonforsize said:
Well, I got my service contract info in the mail today, and the book says the oil & filter should be changed every 6k miles. I've been taught and have stood by changing at 3k. Synthetic or not, and especially being the break in oil, I think it's bullsh!t.

Any thoughts?
When it comes to an investment this large, always err on the side of safety.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon further investigation, at the back of the book it has coupons for every 3k, for the heavier use schedule. I will definately be doing that, even if it's out of my pocket, or I will do it myself like I intended to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you use moblie 1 super syn or equivelent you can go every 10000 km but I would still change the filter ever 5000km

·
Registered
23 Posts
waynet said:
If you use moblie 1 super syn or equivelent you can go every 10000 km but I would still change the filter ever 5000km
I'm also in a ATV forum. A guy there works for a oil company and showed us a study that synthetic oil can go beyond 25000KM without themal breakdown. Obvioulsy I wouldn't go that nuts on my oil but it will go a lot farther than most people realize. It does get dirty waaaaay before it breaks down. I go about 5-6000 on my synthetic as well as oil filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts