Dodge Caliber Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Copying and pasting info you found on google doesn't really support your theory. There seems to be a miss understanding of how the engine works and what oils purpose is.

Oil serves many purposes like lubrication, corrosion resistance and maintains tight seals. It also plays a role in heat exchange but adding an oil cooler is just trying to re-invent the wheel. Oil coolers original purpose was for towing by trucks which is why almost every truck has an oil cooler. The realistic use is to reduce heat because of added load carried. When they say oil coolers improve performance they use the term "performance" as Efficiency not added horse power like you claim. Think of yourself running you obviously need water to hydrate. Now picture yourself running with a 50lbs vest on. Your going to need more than just water right? The point is by adding an oil cooler to a car that isn't towing your trying to impose on a force that doesn't exist. At least not in the case of an SRT-4 being thrown around corners, I would worry more about the tranny temps.

Your car has other things DESIGNED to cool the engine like a radiator and heat exchanger (Intercooler.) If your engines oil temp is reaching above normal temps than your either using a low grade oil or the viscosity doesn't match the use of the vehicle. Thats why when you see a Neon SRT-4 with a built engine they use 20-50w oil...not an oil cooler. The proper precautions would be to use an oil with a viscosity matching the use. An oil that is DESIGNED to handle higher temps. That's why every car uses different weights of oil, the engineers didn't just simply take a shot in the dark with what oil to use. By adding an oil cooler it's like your trying to change the natural physical workings of oil which is chemically impossible. Upgrade your oil and let it do it's job and let the engines cooling system (radiator and heat exchanger) do their job. If your worried about overheating than upgrade your intercooler and radiator system. If your really worried about it than the use of water/meth injection is a good way to go. Take care of the problem at the critical moment not after. By adding water and meth into the process you are not only cooling the engines combustion but adding a great amount of horse power...that is what you want right? Depending on the meth mixture it's like your running anywhere from 5-9 points higher octane all while you have a cooler combustion thus reducing heat at the source.

OP, it sounds like you already purchased the items so good luck with that. What also sucks is your going to have to purchase and extra bottle or so of oil every oil change plus your just putting more pressure on your oil pump.

Thx Budy
Sorry, Im pilot not mechanic. My bad, (dont kill me...) Im trying to help also... the thing is, we (non turbo guys) all here have the same problems...

I have not a SRT4, I have not an intercooler, I have a SE 5 speeds 1.8L, thats why Im looking to improve performance...

I have not buy any thing yet to install in my Caliber.

Did you said water/meth injection ?

Thx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thx Budy
Sorry, Im pilot not mechanic. My bad, (dont kill me...) Im trying to help also... the thing is, we (non turbo guys) all here have the same problems...

I have not a SRT4, I have not an intercooler, I have a SE 5 speeds 1.8L, thats why Im looking to improve performance...

I have not buy any thing yet to install in my Caliber.

Did you said water/meth injection ?

Thx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you said water/meth injection for a SE 1.8L 5 speeds Caliber to improve performance?
Oh no...LOL...I wouldn't use it on a 1.8L. Maybe a nice intake, header, exhaust and some good spark plugs for you. Not too big on the exhaust though or you'll loose power

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cool, now get it installed and get us some numbers. How does the clearance from the filter to the ground look?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There’s no such thing as an oil cooler upgrade kit for any vehicle- oil coolers, like radiators, are universal non-mechanical/non-electronic components. Pick one that has the capacity you want, the fin count you want, and fits where you want to put it....mount it where you intend to mount it, and connect existing lines to the hoses that came with it with $3 adapter fittings from any napa/hydraulic supply/parts supplier.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts