Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Caliber R/T 2.4 liter AWD. I'm coming up on 6,000 miles and I was wondering if anybody has yet to find oil filter for a Caliber other than the Mopar one? Any brand will work. (Fram, Ac Delco, Puralator Ex.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
yelsrt403 said:
I have a Caliber R/T 2.4 liter AWD. I'm coming up on 6,000 miles and I was wondering if anybody has yet to find oil filter for a Caliber other than the Mopar one? Any brand will work. (Fram, Ac Delco, Puralator Ex.)
Might want to read this first before "any brand will work"......although it is just one guys opinion, there is another site from the SHO owners who did more research on filters, as the Yamaha SHO engine has tighter tolerances...opened my eyes.......:eek:
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html#avoid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
6000 miles!!!! :eek: I hope you've done one already then!

Mike A






yelsrt403 said:
I have a Caliber R/T 2.4 liter AWD. I'm coming up on 6,000 miles and I was wondering if anybody has yet to find oil filter for a Caliber other than the Mopar one? Any brand will work. (Fram, Ac Delco, Puralator Ex.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
I've heard of horror stories about certain filters including Fram. Some of the other brands such as STP etc. are all the same manufacture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries malex the car has had a couple of oil changes since I've owned it. The problem is I'm about to drive a good 10 hours and I do not have time to buy one from the dealer. Which still seems to be the only place I can find a replacement oil filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
what is the part number for the stock oil filter? I got the number out of the back of the owners manual and tried to cross it at advance auto (my bf works there) w/ no luck. He said I need the other number off the filter, not the DCX number. I really dont want to use the MOPAR filter when I do the first oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
InfernoRedSXT said:
what is the part number for the stock oil filter? I got the number out of the back of the owners manual and tried to cross it at advance auto (my bf works there) w/ no luck. He said I need the other number off the filter, not the DCX number. I really dont want to use the MOPAR filter when I do the first oil change.
The part number on the oil filter is the same as the number in the owners manual, I haven't been able to find a cross reference for it yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Whats wrong with the Mopar filter? Don't have them handy but I've looked at testing results of major filter brands and Mopar filters always come out ahead of brands such as Fram, Purolator, STP etc.

While I was at the dealers they had a 2006 Dodge Ram with a scrapped engine. Had a filter from some quick lube place. The insides of the filter tore loose causing it to clog. For whatever reason the oil light never came on. Probably the sender is before the filter. I'll stick with Mopar. They're a good quality filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Do any of the neon owners know if the part number for the 2.0 neon oil filter is the same for the 2.0 caliber??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
InfernoRedSXT said:
Do any of the neon owners know if the part number for the 2.0 neon oil filter is the same for the 2.0 caliber??
I have the two filters to look at and they are NOT the same. Not even close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
InfernoRedSXT said:
Do any of the neon owners know if the part number for the 2.0 neon oil filter is the same for the 2.0 caliber??
The neon takes a much bigger filter than the caliber. They are not the same. The part rep. at the dodge dealer told me all the caliber engines take the same filter. (1.8, 2.0, 2.4) The motor is somehow different as well. I know they are all VVT in the caliber, but other than that I not sure how else the engines differ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
thanks for the info! the one for the caliber must be tiny, I just changed the oil in my neon yesterday and that filter isnt exactly big either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
911 Posts
yelsrt403 said:
The neon takes a much bigger filter than the caliber. They are not the same. The part rep. at the dodge dealer told me all the caliber engines take the same filter. (1.8, 2.0, 2.4) The motor is somehow different as well. I know they are all VVT in the caliber, but other than that I not sure how else the engines differ.

The 1.8 Liter engine is different from the 2.0/2.4 liter engines. The 2.0 liter and 2.4 liter engines are the same except the 2.4 liter just has larger pistons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
yelsrt403 said:
The neon takes a much bigger filter than the caliber. They are not the same.
I beleive you have that backwards. I have both filters in front of me and the Caliber has the bigger filter.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top