Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some 8mm Plate Style Wheel Spacers on today(Front and back). To ME it shows a little difference. Some it may not. I dont think it would be a good idea to go much over 8mm with a flat style spacer simply because of the Hub thickness. I think it looks alot better(Expecially out back). But like I said 8mm isnt alot. And it might be hard to tell. No one will prolly ever notice the difference around town but me. But all I wanted was to make the back get a little closer to even. That tuck was just way too much IMO. Can yall tell a difference?

I took a bunch of pictures to try to get a good angle.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

I MAY end up taking the fronts off though. I just dont want to kick up rocks and such and chip the sides.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Tough to se the difference here. What advantages are there in running wheel spacers?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I MAY end up taking the fronts off though. I just dont want to kick up rocks and such and chip the sides.
This is a valid concern. After going from the stock 225 width tires up to the 255's that I have on there now, I've gotten a couple of paint chips and one spot where it actually made a small indentation and cracked the paint.

If I'm doing this correctly, the 255's are 20mm wider and I don't know how much of the extra 20mm is towards the inside, but they do stick out quite a bit more than the stockers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wider track.
Easier to pick up curb rash at the drive thru.

looks ok.
Not where my money/time is going though.

no tag yet? already modding the stance?

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did it as a quick way to get rid of the space in between the rear fender and the tire. It seemed too tucked IMO. And it only cost $15. and took 20 mins to do. Im not looking for any performance gains or anything like that. Just makes it look LITTLE bit more aggressive IMO. I did it to my NSRT. You can kind of tell from the PIC in my Avatar.

And yea im already modding a bunch of stuff on it. I have some stuff on order and im ordering more next week. Ive got 800 miles on it. :jester:

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Horrible idea.

I can't tell any difference looks wise, but you've now added extra stress to the end of that hub. You no longer have the proper stud length either. Only way to safely do this is to get longer studs or the correct offset wheel. You've now put the weight of the vehicle farther out on the stud then it should be.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horrible idea.

I can't tell any difference looks wise, but you've now added extra stress to the end of that hub. You no longer have the proper stud length either. Only way to safely do this is to get longer studs or the correct offset wheel. You've now put the weight of the vehicle farther out on the stud then it should be.
Ive got more than enough stud length. It took away ALMOST 2 threads. My NSRT had the exact same setup on it and its still going 80000+ miles without ANY issues. And like I said about the looks, you can barely tell the difference. I can though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But good point on the HUB issue. That was the only concern with doing this like i said in the original post. So I will most likely end up taking it off. But it didnt hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Ive got more than enough stud length. It took away ALMOST 2 threads. My NSRT had the exact same setup on it and its still going 80000+ miles without ANY issues. And like I said about the looks, you can barely tell the difference. I can though.
It's a gamble regardless. I don't doubt you had the other car go that long, but what I'm trying to say is that when you change dimensions like that, all testing done on the component has now gone out the window. It is virtually impossible to determine what affect it will have. It may have some impact, a lot, or none at all.

It may work just fine on the street and not have any issues, but if it was changed and then gone through the manufacturer's torture testing they do, it may not meet their standards.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I took them off. It's too new of a car to take a chance. Ohh well. It was a cheap, quick experiment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Different people have different ideas. If we buy the high quality spacers and install them correctly, then there is no problem at all. But remember to use the spacers with hub centric, that can aviod the problem of vehicle vibration.

I had BONOSS wheel spacers 20mm on my car for almost 21,000 miles, with no issues whatsoever. They can customize the thickness and data that I want, so that I can install new tires with different data, and the customization time is very fast, just 1~3 days.

If you need it in the future, this is their case article.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts