Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on going to the dealership today and purchasing an '07 Caliber.

Being new to this make (but not to Dodge) I am having difficulty deciding on a proper course of action.

The Caliber:

Used
2007 Silver SXT
21,000 Miles
Asking Price from Dealer $13,400
I'm not sure about what it is equipped with vs. the other models, but if you ask if it has this and this I can tell you.

I will be trading in a 1999 Dakota SLT 5.2L V8.

I am alread aware of the fuel economy savings, etc, but I guess my biggest "thought" is should I go with the used or go over to the new car lot (same dealer) and haggle like he** over a new one (SXT Sport, etc).

Any info or bright wattage light ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you like to have the ability to know and do things with your car, make sure it has the Driver Convience Package, that adds the trip computer and ability to make changes to some things on the car. If you are a phone guy, you might like it if it has uConnect, other than that, its what ever like on the car.

Only reason I mention those two, is that a lot of people keep asking if they can be added after the fact, and the only one that can is uConnect, but its not as nice as the factory version of uConnect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ejfb said:
If you like to have the ability to know and do things with your car, make sure it has the Driver Convience Package, that adds the trip computer and ability to make changes to some things on the car. If you are a phone guy, you might like it if it has uConnect, other than that, its what ever like on the car.

Only reason I mention those two, is that a lot of people keep asking if they can be added after the fact, and the only one that can is uConnect, but its not as nice as the factory version of uConnect.
Ok, Thanks for the info.

I know it doesnt have the uConnect (my phone is right on my belt anyway). As for the Driver Convience Package, I noticed it had the single push lever near the odometer. When pushed it has two trip counters and an exterior temp display.

Is that the Driver Convience package? And if so what can be done with it?

Sorry for the NOOB questions. I am in the process of reading the board now but please help in any way.

1B3HB48B17D56740005.jpg

Thanks,

ZoSo

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
if there's a used one with the options and color you like get that for sure!
There is no reason for the car to be abused and if it's a trusted dealer that's where i would look. The dealer that we bought from had a yellow sxt that they bought back from the lady they sold it to... she lost her liscence 3 weeks after purchase. it was the solar yellow with 63 miles on it and they were asking 16k for it. I know it sold for alot less than that ... go used.. i know i would if i had the choice!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ZoSoAir said:
As for the Driver Convience Package, I noticed it had the single push lever near the odometer. When pushed it has two trip counters and an exterior temp display.

Is that the Driver Convience package? And if so what can be done with it?

Sorry for the NOOB questions. I am in the process of reading the board now but please help in any way.

ZoSo
Drivers conveinience package adds auto dimming rearview mirror, and the EVIC display on the left side of the cluster. It will show you actual mpg, average mpg, trip time, and a few other options. It also make it easier to change certain things on the car such as honk the horn when locking the doors, unlock all doors at once,..... You can change all the same stuff with or without the EVIC display, the EVIC display just makes it easier to change them.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'd say go with the used one as long as it has all the options and color you want. And don't be afraid to haggle with them on the price. At 21000 miles, it's already over halfway through the factory warranty. Maybe see if you can get an extended warranty thrown into the package or something.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, with low miles an extened warranty from DCX should be an option for consumer comfort.

Remember that it's taken me 9,000 miles so far to get the best current mpg I've seen on the car since buying it new. The CVT is the reason and this makes a good reason to buy used if it's in good shape, checks out and is a good price.

·
Registered
721 Posts
HSKR said:
Drivers conveinience package adds auto dimming rearview mirror, and the EVIC display on the left side of the cluster. It will show you actual mpg, average mpg, trip time, and a few other options. It also make it easier to change certain things on the car such as honk the horn when locking the doors, unlock all doors at once,..... You can change all the same stuff with or without the EVIC display, the EVIC display just makes it easier to change them.
How does it show instantaneous or actual MPG?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't know, I don't have it, but it's supposed to be one of the functions of it. My Dakota has an overhead trip computer that does instantaneous and average MPG displays, as well as distance to empty.

·
Registered
414 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
It only shows Radio Info (Sirius channel, radio station frequency, CD number and track number, Sirius channel) average MPG, outside temp, direction of travel, tire pressure and trip time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow, it doesn't show instantaneous?? Man, Dodge is slacking there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all that replied to this thread.

I am still not completly convinced, but hopefully within a few more days I will have all of my ducks in a row (as it were).

"Z"

·
Registered
18 Posts
My local dealer is starting to get "used" Calibers in, but they are all (4 of them) rentals that they got from an auction. All have 15 - 20,000 miles on them and are 4-2006 builds. I'm not sure I would buy an early build model that was a rental. I wouldn't be suprised if your dealer is getting Caliber rentals in to sell too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
It only shows Radio Info (Sirius channel, radio station frequency, CD number and track number, Sirius channel) average MPG, outside temp, direction of travel, tire pressure and trip time.
Add distance to empty in there as well. However, this is dependant on how agressive you are with your driving at the time. It changes with the throttle. The average MPG is over a lifetime, so you are advised to reset it periodically, like if you are doing a road trip on the hwy vs all city drives.

·
Registered
721 Posts
True, I knew it had average, and I reset it after every tank. That being said, I've hear the LX cars have a few easter eggs in the EVIC. I wish we could find some. :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
CoriolisSTORM said:
If you leave it on MPG/L.-100 Kms. it changes instataneously depending on driving conditions. Worse going uphill, better drafting a 18 wheeler on a level highway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
After reading the computer readout on Gallons Used, then gassing up. Can you input the corrected Gallons Used into the computer for the computer to adjust its readouts? I used to do that on an old trip computer I had on a 1984 Toyota Tercel & the computer became very accurate. I somtimes took the tank down to 1 third of a gallon of gas left before gassing up, & the computer was always accurate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts