Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks,

it´s been a while since I posted here the last time, but I was browsing the forums almost every day.
The last time I posted here, my girlfriend and I had to make the decision which car to buy.
Everybody (family/friends) told (and still tells) us to stay away from an american vehicle.
We test drove a lot of cars and although some German, Japanese & Italian cars were better equipped/cheaper,
but we had (and still have) a crush on the caliber. We think it´s the best bang for our buck.
But we need the car this year, because of tax reasons and other things and no dealer could deliver the Cali we wanted this year.
Now it seems we found a dealership with exactly the car we want.
If everything goes as planned we will have it by the end of October.

It´s a Diesel SXT with the sport package/electric sunroof/etc...
Hopefully it will be as thrustworthy as my 8 years old Toyota Paseo and I can proudly say to all the "haters" ;)
that the Cali is indeed a great car.

Truth is, I haven´t seen the car live yet, and I will finally make the decision
after a test drive in about 2 weeks. But I am very positive about it.

Another thing is, what do you guys think about the color? The dealer told me it´s inferno red, but it looks like orange to me.
And what about the decals? Yay or nay? :)
If we buy it, we maybe want to keep the decal on the hood, but get rid of the ones on the sides.

Here is on of the many pics the friendly dealer took for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Inferno Red is a midly dark red. Not orange at all. It's a very good color. I'd say nix all the decals. There are enough ram emblems on the car as it is. :)

Have fun with your new diesel Caliber. Let us know how it performs as we don't get the diesel option here in the USA.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the German car dealers have a
thing for gigantic decals,I have seen several posted in different forums would
your top of the line Mercedes or Porsche be covered with Texas sized adds.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I kind of like the one on the hood ... but I can also see how it would grow tiresome rather quickly.

It's really just a matter of taste, though. If you like the decals, keep them. If you don't, then toss them.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your ride :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Whats the top speed of it? What are our US spec ones limited to anyone know? How's about unlocking 'em? :D I want a CDI diesel so bad in all of my vehicles! I'm thinking about parking the Wrangler when I get the Caliber and putting a VW TDi or Cummins 4bt in it. 35+ MPG in a Wrangler that gets only 19 from the factory! Almost double!:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CoriolisSTORM said:
Whats the top speed of it?
The reviews & brochures say 196km/h (123mph) for the diesel 2.0 and you reach the 100km/h (62.5mph) in 9.3 seconds.

But in fact the diesel I drove went easily and pretty quickly over 200km/h. My top speed was about 210km/h (~132 mph) on a straight. At least that was what the speedometer showed.
But that was only for testing purposes, I don´t want to race it. Although I consider to install a so called "powerbox" which increases the torgue quite a bit.
Forum member Swoop can tell you more about this :)

Dealer called me this morning and assured me, that I can have the Caliber on my birthday end of October. Hopefully everything works out.
He also told me, that the color is indeed orange sunburst, which is quite a surprise. It looks reddish to me on most of the pics.

·
Registered
775 Posts
For some reason, I actually like the decals. I say keep them, but that's just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice looking car...Hood decal: yes, sides: no

·
Registered
447 Posts
Actually with that angle it does look more like the sunburst orange. Dark photos do make it hard to pick out the color. But either Orange or Red, they're both good looking.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep that's sweet, and diesel is cheaper and more efficient to run anyway. Plus who can chip a gasoline car and get better efficiency and such? The only diesels that I am aware that we can get in the US right now are the old 06 Liberties, the MB E320 CDI, the few VW TDIs that are available now (changing over injection systems or something like that), and the ML320&R320 CDIs. (Not including the diesel pickups.) California and a few other states think they can dictate to the whole union what everyone can do. :mad: Pisses me off big time. Oh yeah, a Toureg TDI is available in 50 states for the first 3 months of '07. I wish we could get the diesel caliber here...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Read the headline of this topic and instantly thought: "How the heck did that guy know, that I've picked up my new Caliber yesterday afternoon and hit the Autobahn right away???" :eek:

DeMarco - go and grab life by the horns! There is no time to loose and there will hardly be another Caliber (that close to what you want) you'd be able to find around here!?

Make that orange beauty yours!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, that you'd be able to negotiate a sound deal and hit the road with your own CRD Caliber as soon as possible!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Swoop said:
Read the headline of this topic and instantly thought: "How the heck did that guy know, that I've picked up my new Caliber yesterday afternoon and hit the Autobahn right away???"
So, do your neighbors know what a Dodge is? Everytime my neighbors asked me what kind of car it was and I said, "Dodge", they just gave me a blank stare. Dodge hasn't had much of a name in Europe. The old lady accross the street from me kept asking if it was a Toyota.

On a positive note, all of the Germans I've talked to seem to really like the car. One neighbor is almost convinced to get rid of his Ford Mondeo for a new caliber.

BTW, yours looks good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Michael K. said:
So, do your neighbors know what a Dodge is? Everytime my neighbors asked me what kind of car it was and I said, "Dodge", they just gave me a blank stare. Dodge hasn't had much of a name in Europe. The old lady accross the street from me kept asking if it was a Toyota.

On a positive note, all of the Germans I've talked to seem to really like the car. One neighbor is almost convinced to get rid of his Ford Mondeo for a new caliber.

BTW, yours looks good.
Thanks for the compliment Michael!

There is nothing special to the Cali though - its the 2.0 CRD SE model with tinted windows and the boom-box installed.

On the other hand.....aint a Caliber special enough, being what it is? ;)

After about 800km in only two days I am absolutely pleased with that car. The diesel engine suits the Caliber quite well with its huge amount of low end punch.

Haven't had much time to talk to friends and neighbours though, since I was almost constantly driving , basically due to the fact, that I had to buy the Caliber almost 550km away from home in order to get it before christmas :eek:

But I am pretty sure, that Dodge isn't widely known over here in Germany, since it has no history in Europe.
Of course the 'ol Dodge Challenger or Charger muscle cars have a name in the circles of car enthusiasts, but thats it.

2 years ago, when I was visiting California/Nevada, the Magnum "stepped right into my face" and really rang my bell. Thats the reason, why I got instantly hooked, when the first pictures of the Caliber appeared in german magazines.

And since my old beater (a Ford Mondeo btw - go and tell your neighbour) was due for replacement anyway, I test drove a Caliber at the 1st opportunity, ordered one at a local dealership and - to make a long story short - got one from another dealership this tuesday!

Haven't seen one single Caliber on german streets yet, besides one car from the local dealer, so I'm pretty sure, I'll have to answer quite a lot of questions in the next few weeks, about what Dodge is all about and why my car looks so incredibly uncute :D

I'm going to take the Cali to the golf course today. That'll draw some attention I bet! ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Swoop!
Congrats to your Caliber! What they say is true...black is beautiful. :)

I hope you enjoy your new ride, never run into any major problems & have always safe travels.
...and it´s also important, that you tell us when you do your "powerbox" mod and the outcome of this.

Well, it seems, we do have something in common...."my" Caliber is also 500km away & I fell in love with it at the IAA in Franfurt last year. At that time I thought we could never afford it. It looked so damn expensive. ;)

Apart from that, most of my friends/family don´t know the car or (what is worse) tell me it´s a piece of crap & I should buy a VW Rabbit or Benz B-Class instead. But we made our decision and hopefully we´ll never regret it.

I hope the slogan in this pic will be the motto for your time with the caliber :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'd say ditch the decals. And just out of curiosity, why is it going to take so long for you to be able to buy the car?? If it's on the dealer lot, and you have the money, shouldn't you be able to go get it whenever you can? Not sure how it works buying a car overseas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@HSKR
Believe me, I would buy it ASAP.
Money isn´t that much of a problem, although it´s a bit hard to convince the bank of that fact, especially when you are self-employed. ;)

Fact is, if I COULD buy it this month, I would get a better deal, because Dodge offers an interest rate of 2,9% but only until September (instead of 4,9% in October). :(

But:
This dealer told me that he has a contract with Dodge/Chrysler, that he must keep at least one car on the lot as a "demonstration car". So he isn´t allowed to sell it, before he gets another one. He already agreed that I can have it at the end of October, while his new Caliber demo car arrives in late November.
Hope it´s not a load of BS....but 3 dealerships told me the same.

About the decals:
IF everythings works out (crossing my fingers), we will only keep the one on the hood until we grow tired of it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi HSKR,

The problem over here is almost the same as over there. In europe (as far as I've been able to figure it out) all dealerships were on a pretty tight quota from the importers.

My dealer put in for 50 Calibers for the introduction, but only got 30 allocated (He has a 4 garage dealership in 4 cities).

So when I bought my Caliber on the day of introduction (off of the transporter......... just delivered :) ) the guy bent over backwards to keep that baby on the lot for three weeks so he'd have something to show customers.

We made him promise not to use it for test drives and he kept his promise.

I know for a fact that here in Holland only 250 Calibers were shipped for the initial introduction and DC are hoping to sell about 700 this year here.

BTW....... I haven't seen another Caliber on the roads here either !!!!

Dave.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With a tear in the eye (literally) I sold my trusty Toyota Paseo today. On the one hand I feel very excited that I get the Caliber in 12 days, but on the other hand I know I will miss my customized Paseo much. :(

My greatest fear is, that the Caliber won´t be as reliable as my Paseo, which never had any issues at all in 5 years.

But on Friday, when the dealer told me that I can pick the Cali up sooner than I thought, I walked around the whole day with a big smile on my face, even when two kids were fighting in class, I couldnt stop smiling...and I am their teacher. :eek:

Anyone else here who misses the cars you sold or traded in before you bought the Caliber?

To remember my Paseo, here is a pic:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts