Dodge Caliber Forums banner

Does your Caliber have spark knock?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - obviously it's a common problem because more and more threads are being started on the subject, and a lot of us have had the flash and/or F29 recall performed and it didn't help. Chrysler knows this and claims to be working on a software update.

Meanwhile, we all still have to drive our cars, so I'm curious as to the percentage of people on this forum have the spark knock problem.

(NOTE: This is NOT referring to the "popping" exhaust resonator sound that some others have experienced, but rather actual pre-ignition)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've only had mine a few days but no knock. Ordered by dealer August 6, built September, deliiver 9/25.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I vote yes I have it, but it's ONLY noticeable at idle and just off throttle, Have never heard it while driving.

·
Registered
683 Posts
HSKR said:
I vote yes I have it, but it's ONLY noticeable at idle and just off throttle, Have never heard it while driving.
Same with mine. Only at idle or just starting off. However, the knock is sometimes quite severe. Sounds like a diesel. The F29 update did nothing to help.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My Caliber has it. So far I notice it when cruising and light throttle. I don't like it. It is NOT "normal" (hilarious that the owners manual mentions it. Just think if it said, “you car will fall apart at 50k miles. That is perfectly normal and it’s nothing to be worried about.” LOL), and I'm concerned that it's going to cause damage.

I wish DCX would get the fix right. I have not taken it to the dealer yet (since the recall) because the several things that I need to have repaired, people here report that the TSBs aren't working or that they have to quarrel with the dealers to get them to do anything about it (though the service manager at the dealer near me has been very helpful with my requests and inquiries… a big credit to the Dodge dealer here). It just seems that the TSBs from DCX aren't working.

·
Registered
901 Posts
HSKR said:
If that's what it sounds like then I'll say "YES" too. Happens more often if/when I barely push the gas pedal (just to move the car forward a bit from a stop) -- as if not enough fuel is being delivered and it "gurgles". I mentioned this at my last oil change, and they cannot hear or reproduce the noise. (but i can, both.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DodgeGirlKathy said:
If that's what it sounds like then I'll say "YES" too. Happens more often if/when I barely push the gas pedal (just to move the car forward a bit from a stop)
Yes, that's it. Happens just off-idle or at low RPM driving to me while car is under load. What I can't believe is that it's actually occuring at idle at a dead stop for some people - that sounds really bad.

I'd love to get at least 100 responses to this poll and forward the results to Allpar. If the current percentage holds true and 1 third of people are having this problem, potential buyers deserve to know.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Uh oh might have to change my vote now. At 250 miles i now have what feels to be a condition where the car is lugging when lightly accelerating from 20-30mph. Pretty annoying too i must say.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Uh oh might have to change my vote now. At 250 miles i now have what feels to be a condition where the car is lugging when lightly accelerating from 20-30mph. Pretty annoying too i must say.
I get this lug too, especially in slow moving traffic and off the line like from a stop light. Is this a condition of the spark knock? I had attributed this to the cvt transmission, I don't hear any knock.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Im not sure.. it almost feels like detonation but may just be the CVT leaving the gearing too low at times. Otherwise I dont really hear the tell tail marble bouncing knocking sounds.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Fingernipp said:
Im not sure.. it almost feels like detonation but may just be the CVT leaving the gearing too low at times. Otherwise I dont really hear the tell tail marble bouncing knocking sounds.
Mine doesn't sound like marbles either. The motor just sounds like a deisel at idle. Little noisier than you'd think.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Mine is a bit noisy when its started cold at high idle till it warms. Louder than if i were to just hold the idle on a warm engine to the same RPM, but no louder than anything else i have heard of similar displacement. Its actually louder inside the car than outside with the hood open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I noticed mine after driving it 1200 miles to Charolette, then driving around downtown with A/C on it sounded terrible. turned off the air and it calmed down. only does this when at low RPM like stop and go traffic. Now that the weather in WI has cooled down a bit and put those R/T seat covers on now she seems to run a bit better, little more power. Hmmm...Maybe its those set covers? Can they be like supermans clothes. cuz without the suit and cape he is just clark kent. and now my Cali has a new cape suit and cape she is much happier.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Has everybody who has the spark knock had it since day 1 or is it something that has come on with mileage and gotten worse?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is at idle, can't really hear it any other time but I do feel a slight sluggishness to it as some others have said.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yup, got the knock too. One of the last things to get taken care of, and then the exhaust ping.

The knocking isn't bad, but enough to irk me. It sounds like a standard when you bog it down. I especially notice it while going up a hill near my house that has jersey barriers, and the sound reflects right off it and into my ear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't have the spark knock & my MPG is great for an SE Caliber 2 liter w/CVT(28.5MPG average;35 MPG highway high). Might people with a spark knock, also have poor mileage?

·
Registered
340 Posts
At first was not there. Then after I think around 10,000 miles we did the flash because of the knock. It went away. It has been gone for 10,000 miles. I also have been putting 89 in every other tank or so. Two tanks a week minimum lately, wife got a new job farther away. GREAT gas mileage for R/T 26 avg. Always been that.

BUT.... Car #2 - my new 07 Sebring with the 2.4 has the pinging, but much more noticeable. Just getting to 2,000 miles now, had it three weeks. I could not find it in the owners manual though. Whenever I put 89 oct or better it goes away (of course). No flash available on this car that I am aware of.

I was gonna get another AWD Caliber but the price on the Sebring was STUPID CHEAP!!! It is also averaging over 30 mpg. 90% highway. It's really a Caliber under it's skin though!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts