Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed an order for an R/T, marine blue, leather, sunroof....now the 8-10 (or more) week wait begins. After all the visits to the dealers to see the colors in person & test drive.....we're glad we waited. We wanted black, but after seeing the marine blue in person, my wife fell in love with it....even more than the black.

But have 2 questions:

1) I've seen the Motorweek episode where they got over 26 MPG with mixed driving. Also seen a few on here that are getting close to or over the rated highway of 26. What are those that have an R/T & have >1000 miles seeing for their fuel mileage.

2) I've seen 0-60 speeds of 9.3 sec (Motorweek) & today in a magazine of close to 11 sec (but was a pre-production model). Also, saw a couple years ago that a Saturn Ion with CVT gained a full second in the 0-60 after being thoroughly broken in (>10,000 miles). Anyone noticing significant accelleration as the car gets some miles on it? Also, how is the acceleration as far as passing or getting on the interstate?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1) - Can't help you. Someone else will.

2) Yes. The Caliber gets a significant kick in the ass as you break it in properly. On the highway, the CVT2 is in it's element so you should have no problem at all passing..

:D

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, now you will have to wait the long wait...

1)Many on here have been getting between 23-26mpg with the R/T, and hopefully they can jump in. There was a thread on this let me see if I can find it...

here you go...good info in there:

EDIT:: http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565

2)Again many have and will validate that the car gets peppier (better acceleratio too) as the engine and CVT breaks in, and increase in the MPG too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Acceleration after 1000 miles seems to be about the same, maybe smoother. After 2000, just a little smoother-quicker, I think - (could be getting used to it though) We have an R/T.

My gas mileage has been reported by me several times. Prior tanks have been consistent 25,25,25,25,26,23,24,26,26,etc see previous post and thread!

Good Luck! Hope the wait does not kill you! Congrats!!

I walked into our dealer and drove off as their demo was loaded off the truck!! Got Lucky!

·
Registered
137 Posts
My fuel mileage isn't worth posting, but that's because I can't keep my foot outta the throttle, and I like the AutoStick way too much. A safe driver will get at least what the estimates say, as opposed to a knucklehead that practices the fine art of throttle-steering through curves regularly.:D

Regarding passing and getting onto the highway...

Well, you won't be disappointed. (Especially if you use the AutoStick!)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Pretty much what I was hoping for & assumed would happen. It's mainly the wife's car, so I'll get to drive it maybe once every 2 weeks. :(

At least it has the autostick option, which was relatively impressed with during my test drive. Big surprise having a CVT respond that quickly & act like a manual.

J

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't have any answers to your questions but I just wanted to say congrats! I also ordered a Marine Blue and the wait is killing me!! Mine will be in mid to late June. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
1) I've actually gotten 28mpg out of the thing. And that was driving up to Lake Tahoe through the mountains with the cruise control set at 72-75. Regular city driving really depends on how heavy your foot is. Mine gets pretty heavy but I get a pretty typical 25mpg unless I'm really pushing it then I'll get 21-22ish. That little average MPG thing in the driver convenience package is AWESOME.

2) Performance does get much better as the car breaks in. It's not a huge increase but it does get peppier and smoother as time goes by. I can blip the throttle and have the car rev up to 4k from it. Not too bad. However you do get a real sense for how heavy the fly wheel is on the thing. You blip it, it takes a split second to wind up then it goes to 4k and stays there as the inertia begins to get used up. I'd prefer a lighter flywheel, but I wasn't the engineer.

Maybe we'll see one come out! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amandyke said:
That little average MPG thing in the driver convenience package is AWESOME.
Ahhhh...another question. How close is the calculation of fuel mileage to what the car reports?

Thx
J

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't have the mileage calc. in the car. I have always used recpts. for calculating mileage. Even my older caravans that I had the mileage comp. I always check by recpts.

It is pretty stable at 25.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The calculation is pretty damn accurate, not off by much if at all..:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts