Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh joy. I am now a member of the "I got a problem" club... :( :mad:

On my way home from the grocery store just now, about 5 miles from home, the temperature light on the dash went on. (huh?) The temp needle was almost touching the red H. uh oh.

I pulled over in a parking lot to sit while the engine cooled down. It occurred to me that when I had parked at the store, I had heard liquid dumping out from the front of the car (almost like it was peeing). I didn't have the a/c on, so it wasn't humidity... I thought, maybe it had something to do with the air filtration? I don't know. Didn't think more about it.

When it cooled down to about the half way point on the gauge, I started up for home, and turned up the heat all the way. Two miles down the road, the gauge was about to hit H again, and the fan was NOT blowing anything close to hot air. Not a good sign, eh. Luckily there was a 24-hr gas station up ahead, and I pulled in there.

I called another night owl friend to chat while waiting. After the needle dropped down below half way, I opened the radiator cap to check the fluid level (using the handy Caliber flashlight of course) -- and to my surprise, the cap is not ON the radiator, it's on a hose that is positioned to drain liquid to either side. You can't even get a clue what might be in the radiator. I got water from inside the station and added about 20 oz. Two more miles to home, and the needle was again going up, not as fast, and was about 3/4 when I got home. OK so I guess it needed coolant.

Guess where I get to go first thing in the morning. Oh joy. I get a loaner car for any warranty work and regular maintenance, so I WILL have wheels tomorrow, but what a PITA.

Obviously something is going on with the thermostat, especially since the fan was not blowing any hot air into the cabin. The car WAS just into the shop last week for its first oil change. Hope they didn't mess anything up...

When I find out what happened, and what was fixed, I will let you all know. (Oh, there are just over 3800 miles on the car...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ouch Kathy, that really sux. :( I hope everything works out ok with the cali. Let us know ASAP what the outcome is. GL!

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I went in for my first oil change they checked all my fluid levels and such. Think somone didn't put something back on good, eh?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
muzzysgirl said:
When I went in for my first oil change they checked all my fluid levels and such. Think somone didn't put something back on good, eh?
Yah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Grrr. I don't wanna consider a hose or seal failing so early.

This morning I was going to add more water to the radiator so I could limp the 4 miles to my dealer. There was a nice trail of coolant all down my driveway...... So I added about a quart of water. It drained right out.

No way am I going to drive the car with that happening. So now I'm waiting for Chrysler Roadside Assistance to come tow my baby to get fixed. :(
(Flush too, to get rid of the tap water in the line. Not that it stayed in there very long.)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like you got a Caliber with a bladder problem.

ha ha

Seriously though that's quite annoying.

Sue for mentral distraught?

·
Registered
226 Posts
hehe... is that supposed to be menstrual or mental distraught?

Hey... when I took my car back to the dealer 2 weeks after my oil change (they were installing a new brake fluid level sensor) they did my 3K check and topped off/changed my oil and everything... I was like... "WTF? You just changed it 250 miles ago!!! Don't think I'm paying for it!!!!" The guy behind the counter was like... oh.. yeah... I guess it's free! LOL

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with service...

The thermostat housing was cracked, it failed, and the heat/pressure blew out the coolant line, so yah that's why I lost all the coolant overnight. That "peeing" sound last night in the grocery parking lot must have been when it blew. (A defective/failed thermostat would also explain why I was getting no hot air in the cabin as an attempt to help dissipate the engine heat.)

They won't have the new parts in for 3-4 DAYS. :( I do get to keep the rental car for the duration. (Service hooked me up with Enterprise for the rental. All they had available today was a HUGE Ford F150 quad cab. :( But as soon as something smaller comes it I'm switching it.) (edit: A chevy malibu just came in. I'm running out now to get that instead!)

So sad to have my Caliber in for repair. Hey as long as its 3-4 days I should ask about the service bulletin on the leaky rear wiper fluid....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well at least you knew to pull off the road and let it cool down. Knew a girl who kept driving her VW after it was over heating and the motor seized up, caught fire and burnt to the ground.

Hope it gets fixed quickly and permanently.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm (ahem) informed.
;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah but VWs were known for doing that, even before you had the option of cooling them with liquid. LOL.

My 'other' other car is a 1975 VW Bus that is a project of mine.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
RadioDude said:
Yeah but VWs were known for doing that, even before you had the option of cooling them with liquid. LOL.
Actualy the VW that she burnt to the ground was a type 1 (Beetle). Afterwards she told my friend (she was his girl friend) when he questioned her as to what happened, "but it's a Beetle and they don't use oil"!!! She bought it new and NEVER changed or checked the oil:eek:

I love those Microbusses. Wish I had one... and time... and money... heh. You have pictures of your buss (not to derail this thread... hah hah)?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I remember as a young child for some reason our Beetle started on fire and my mom and step dad were in the back throwing gravel into the engine to try to put it out. Then trying to explain that to the cop that pulled up because he told them it started on fire because there were rocks in the engine LOL.

Anyways what were we talking about again? Sorry about the tangent.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ALL FIXED.
Service just called; it's done. yay! :eek:
No damage done to engine block from running too hot or running with almost no coolant. (I had it shut down within a minute of the light going on.)

Let's hope this is the end of problems for my Caliber. The trouble reports posted here lately have got me a bit wigged out!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You seem to know more about cars than most people do. It is good you knew to stop when you did and to turn the heat on. Many people have no clue to do this, it surely saved your caliber from serious damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts