Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for everyone who Ownes a Dodge Caliber. Im going to be buying a new car here with in a month, and im either getting the caliber sxt or something else.

I want to know from everyone who has owned the vehicle for some time now, what your overall opinion. Do you still love the fact that you have it? any regreats at all? good and bad parts about the vehicle?

Im looking for honest, non bias, specific views here. IF all you have to say is its the greatest vehicle in the world, or theat its the biggest hunk of junk i ever waisted two cents on, that doesnt help me one bit. Be specific please.

Thanks alot everyone...

·
Banned
76 Posts
It is a nice, inexpensive, small station wagon.

If you are looking for a ultilitarian vehicle with marginal performance it might be right for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There's a thread about this on here, try a search and you'll probably find what your looking for:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Buy it man, the only regret I have is not getting the SXT. I got an SE and it doesn't have enough features.

·
Registered
67 Posts
id really do my research and look into something else if i were you. if i could i would take mine back. id never by the first year model of a car ever again. too many bugs that need to be worked out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am very happy with my purchase… defiantly go with an SXT instead of the base. I test drove both and the dealer tried talking me into the base because that was ll he had in the color I wanted. I ended up driving two hours to PA to get the SXT.

I was time to trade in PT Cruiser and the Caliber fit my needs nicely. I wanted a car that I could carry larger things if I needed to, I wanted it to sit a little higher off the road, I wanted a car that looked good, and I wanted to spend under 20K. The caliber was the perfect match J I had a few problems (engine knock, stalling, and lack of power) the first two weeks I had the car but they were solved by the F29 recall when they re-flashed my computer. I am still waiting for the exhaust to be changed to eliminate the annoying tick and once that is done it will be even that much nicer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alright here goes. I'm loving my caliber. :) I've had it for about a month now. I just put the chrome fuel door on yesterday and got my personalized plates for it (INFRNO 9). Yes, I'm a Kasey Kahne fan. ;)

I love all the features on the SXT. Light up cupholders, MP3 jack, Chill Zone, dome flash light just to name a few. I also got the sport package which is awesome. There's just something about that Inferno Red interior that sets it apart from the rest.

That said, there are only a couple things to complain about. :rolleyes: I haven't been using the rear washer fluid because it streaks down the back window after use. I will get that looked at when I take it in for its first oil change (2 more months). My gas mileage could be much better. I'm still only getting 20 MPG but it is all city miles. Stop and go all the time. Cincinnati traffic...

Other than that, there isn't anything to list as a con about the Caliber. I definitely recommend it to anyone in the market for a new, affordable car/SUV. Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does everyone feel about the interior of the car. Test driving is one thing, but you never get the total feel untill you drive it for a few weeks. Does everyone like the layout, easy access, ect ect...

I know about the sliding center arm rest, which im not thrilled with at all, but thats not that big of a deal.

How well does everyone feel the cars interior is put togeather?

·
Registered
203 Posts
gsx rated98 said:
How does everyone feel about the interior of the car. Test driving is one thing, but you never get the total feel untill you drive it for a few weeks. Does everyone like the layout, easy access, ect ect...

I know about the sliding center arm rest, which im not thrilled with at all, but thats not that big of a deal.

How well does everyone feel the cars interior is put togeather?
I find the fit and finish in mine to be good to very good.. for the price range, this is not gonna be an "S" class, but it's no dog either.. layout is fine for me.. fits well (I am 6'2"/225), all controls are within easy reach, the arm rest doesn't bother me as it doesn't slide with my arm on it.. at first I kinda felt as if I was in an "escape pod" but I have gotten used to the high doors and thick posts so this is no longer a distraction.. infact, I sorta like this "feature" now.. The cabin space is more than adequate.. now if I had passengers behind me I would have to move my seat up, but I still have leg room when I do.. the fold down seats are effortless and provide a good amount of carrying space.. the seat fabric (if not getting leather) looks as if it will wear well.

All in all I am very satisfied with the interior (and all other parts of the car).

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been on a few long road trips, and the Caliber performs very well. The CVT2 is great on hills. My R/T holds the road well around turns. I've driven through some big rain storms too, absolutely flawless. I find the interior very comfortable and I'm almost 6'3". The lumbar support is very nice. My gas mileage is better than 26mpg on the highway with A/C on high and speeds approx 15-20mph above the local limits. The MusicGate kicks ass.
The 2.4L has plenty of get up and go, especially for passing. The AutoStick is too cool for school, puts a grin on my face every time. Lately I've been driving with the sunroof open, in my opinion, that is a must-have option.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I personally like the car a lot. I have no complaints except for the chill zone is not what I expected, but I can live with that. The interior works great for me (Blue inserts). If you are looking for a car that has some utility it is perfect. If you get the 2.0 liter is takes about 1500 miles to learn your style... but then after that the acceleration of the car noticeably increases. I love the MPG too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had mine for a couple of months now, and I like it. It's not fast but I wanted a roomy hatchback that didn't have a small car feel to it, and it fit the bill. Yea there are some annoyances like the click, but overall I knew I was buying a lower end dodge vehicle. I would like the gas mileage to improve, but we'll see over time if that gets better. I haven't been on any long trips yet. You should really test drive the car yourself and form your own opinion on it. You're the one thats gonna pay for it. Just don't test drive and immediately buy. Drive it then sleep on it a few days to see if you really like it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So far so good. I am short so I like the sliding arm rest. Usually when I move my seat up I loose my arm rest and now I don't.

I was a little worried about loosing all the cargo room in my van but I have hauled several things now and don't think I am going to have a problem at all. I do wish they would have made the pockets for storage in the doors a little wider. I can't fit my CD holder or even my coupon holder ( I know I know lol) in there.

I haven't gotten a good read on the mpg yet since I am still running with AC full blast and she isn't fully broken in, but we are getting there. We are still around 22mpg or so.

I feel that the Caliber has allowed me to still have the convenience and flexibility of a family style car but also allowing me to still be me. I haven't lost my 26 year old self to the soccer mom world yet. Or rather I did and the Caliber rescued me. :) I can do mods to it and feel young agian and have the sense of security knowing all the features that Dodge has built in to keep us safe.

Just be sure you get what you want. If you decide you want a Caliber don't let the dealer talk you into something that you don't want rather it is features or color. Stick to your guns. You might have to wait a little longer but it is worth it. Most dealers will dealer trade if your dealer is willing to trade another Caliber. Also, you can look thru the faxs that the dealer gets 2 weeks before the cars are shipped. You can see what is pretty much the equivelent of the window sticker and pick one out you want and put a hold on it. It’s faster than ordering it and you still get what you want!

I hope this helps and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an SXT Caliber, I love how it drives and operates. Runs very smoothly and quite. I only had two problems so far:

1) Rattling in the passenger side of the car, that was fixed (misalign hood)

2) Rear washer leaking, Fixed until I put my my spoiler on :(

Other then that I wish I got the SXT with Fog Lamps, I see every car has it now :(

Anyways when you decide make sure you test everything, turn off the radio and listen to everything when you test drive it for rattles, sneaking, stuff like that.

When I was at the dealer I was to excited to drive it than to test it.... so problems came up after I could it home.

Anyways no other problems at all, only the two stated above....

·
Registered
901 Posts
I got my SXT Sport on April 5, and now have about 5300 miles on it.

Other than my daily driving, I've done 2 road trips, one to Cleveland and one to northern Michigan. Very comfortable for long periods of time. Great passing speed. It's taller height compared to a regular car made me feel a bit safer on the freeways with all the larger trucks and semis out there. And it's taller height is noticeable at drive thrus, ATM machines, and tollbooths.

I like the way the inside rearview mirror is tucked higher and farther away than on other cars. I actually have to sit forward to adjust it. At first that was odd, but I like it! It's out of the way and won't get bumped if you need to lean over for something.

Another thing that amazes me is how far the front seats travel on their tracks. Pushing a set all the way forward and all the way back, I can actually reach every square inch under the seats for vacuuming.

Overall fit and finish. Very happy with it. It feels quite well built. Haven't seen any major (or minor!) issues.

Interior materials are plastic sure, but Dodge is switching to that in more vehicles (a rental RAM truck had plastic door panels). I wouldn't call this a "flaw" of the car. It is what it is.

Passengers. I've carried 3 other adults with me. No one felt cramped in the back seat neither front seat had to be moved up. They felt the back seat was comfy, as far as back seats go!!

Do any car rental companies in your area have Calibers? Perhaps you can rent one to get a much longer experience than a dealer test drive will give you.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you like it when you test drive it... then your going to love it once you own it... nuff said

the only recurring complaint ive heard is about the CVT...i guess some people just dont understand what CVT means... there are no gears.. so you have to learn to apply the gas just slightly different (especially bumper to bumper highway traffic), but its easily correctable once youre accustomed to the car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Do any car rental companies in your area have Calibers? Perhaps you can rent one to get a much longer experience than a dealer test drive will give you.

Good luck with your decision!
Good idea.. also I know Thrifty in Fairfax has a few and Tysons Doge Jeep let me take one over night. That is when I knew what car I was going to buy :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well,

I have had my car a month today and have 1000 miles on it. Not much but considering I drove my last car only 6409 miles in a year. I'd say I like it, a lot. I only live a mile from work and walk often; why the low mileage.

The car I love, I'm 5'4"" and I feel like I'm sitting up in a small truck. My mom has a Ranger and agrees. My Aunt Linda is 5'11" and is comfortable driving as well. The seats are comfortable enough and I think the interior will hold up just fine for me. I have the blue inserts.

I have the driver convenience security 2.0L with musicgate, speed control. Fog lights aluminum wheels. I like it. am glad I got all the features I did they are fun and didn't cost me much more in the scheme of things.

I drove on highway 101 two way and windy/hilly and it did great. I also checked out the anti-lock breaks from highway speed to a stop. OOPS. It was one of those with a stop sign at 55mph. No fishtailing at all.

It passes well, just have to get used to that cvt. My armrest doesn't move unless I move it. The chill zone doesn't stay open, but that's minor. I don't have a knock or the Ping. It's only rained once since I got it and the wipers do need to be switched out they are kinda streaky, minor.

Hope you enjoy whatever car you choose.

·
Registered
357 Posts
chillzone - jimcrackery feature, overnamed, underdelivers

sliding armrest - should've been omitted and the efforts used for lighted window & doorlock switches/buttons :p

sliding visors - great feature. the sun can be brutal here.

lighted cupholders - yes! about freaking time.

missing passenger door keylock. this new trend amongst automakers and lower end cars is disconcerting to me.

mpg - good but not even close to EPA estimates in my experience. not while using the a/c at least. eg. my car has been steadily logging 20 mpg mixed use, where EPA city is supposed to start at 22 mpg. this next tank I'm looking for 24 mpg overall sans a/c use. not worth the trouble IMO, going back to a/c!

speaking of a/c, initially seems lacking but once going is fair to good output. not sure what it is, airflow through the cabin lacking? I've got ceramic tinted windows and no sunroof too. maybe it's lack of insulated bodypanels? though noted someone said there's packing peanuts in the rear quarterpanels!

huge A-pillar. made worse with tinted vent shades :p that's just the way it goes. you aren't going to be scratching your way around an AX with this car anyways.

towing - you may want to look into this more closely to see if it will fit your needs. think borderline Class I.

I love the body styling and psuedo import car show interior!

HK stereo w/musicgate sounds great!

in the final analysis, ahem, would I buy it again? yup, sure would. great little runabout.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts