Dodge Caliber Forums banner

P0300 - Steps to diagnose this error?

20K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  GusGus 
#1 ·
What up Cali folks.
My poor 2007 SE 2.0 is having a P0300 Random Misfire issue.
Monday, the car lost all performance and went into limp mode, flashing CEL while driving on the interstate.

I parked it near the next exit and pulled the codes. (I keep an ODB2 reader on hand)
At that time it was showing the code for Crank Position Sensor circuit failure.

I reset the faults codes, pulled the negative battery terminal and let it sit overnight.
After running around town to find the part, I replaced what looked to be the OEM sensor.

This car has served me well and is currently sitting @ 220,000 Miles.

After installing the new sensor, restoring the battery power and starting the car all was good.
No CEL and running well.

I drove about 2 miles and up pops CEL with error P0300 and limp-mode.
I reset the codes again, pulled the power and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Same status P0300.

What's strange is that after resetting the codes and starting the car it will idle perfectly firing on all 4 indefinitely with no CEL. (Or at least the 10-15 minutes I've let it sit there)
I even tested each cylinder by disconnecting the coil on each plug to ensure it was dropping the cylinder.

Each disconnected plug reacted exactly as expected, no fire, plugged back in the cylinder fired again.

I'm able to monitor some of the simple features of the engine with the code reader I have and an application on my PC.

This morning I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor and all the spark plugs. Nothing changed.

Does anyone have 2-bits they want to throw in?
Other than this the car has been perfect with no other issues. :-\

Thank you very much. -Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes I do.
The problem was actually caused by a clogged catalytic converter.

If you remove the o2 sensor from the exhaust pipe in front of the CC you should be able to tell if that's the problem.

You could also replace the 2 cam sensors for good measure.

#4 ·
I'm praying you still monitor this thread. I have the exact same thing going on in my daughter's Caliber.
Exactly like you described. Word for word, action for action.

I pulled the O2 sensor from the front of the CAT, and the P0300 goes away, but I get a P0171 (system too lean)

Is this what I would expect, and does this in deed show we have a clogged CAT?

Thanks for your post, and in advance, the answer to this. Joe

#5 ·
Got big news for all you Caliber owners! We spent weeks-literally-trouble shooting a 2007 Caliber. We spent hours on the internet (including this forum) because of codes P0300 and P0335. Are you ready? Start your vehicle, put it in neutral, turn the key off and then restart engine. ALL CODES GONE!!! Can't frickin believe this simple solution!

#8 ·
What up Cali folks.
My poor 2007 SE 2.0 is having a P0300 Random Misfire issue.
Monday, the car lost all performance and went into limp mode, flashing CEL while driving on the interstate.

I parked it near the next exit and pulled the codes. (I keep an ODB2 reader on hand)
At that time it was showing the code for Crank Position Sensor circuit failure.

I reset the faults codes, pulled the negative battery terminal and let it sit overnight.
After running around town to find the part, I replaced what looked to be the OEM sensor.

This car has served me well and is currently sitting @ 220,000 Miles.

After installing the new sensor, restoring the battery power and starting the car all was good.
No CEL and running well.

I drove about 2 miles and up pops CEL with error P0300 and limp-mode.
I reset the codes again, pulled the power and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Same status P0300.

What's strange is that after resetting the codes and starting the car it will idle perfectly firing on all 4 indefinitely with no CEL. (Or at least the 10-15 minutes I've let it sit there)
I even tested each cylinder by disconnecting the coil on each plug to ensure it was dropping the cylinder.

Each disconnected plug reacted exactly as expected, no fire, plugged back in the cylinder fired again.

I'm able to monitor some of the simple features of the engine with the code reader I have and an application on my PC.

This morning I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor and all the spark plugs. Nothing changed.

Does anyone have 2-bits they want to throw in?
Other than this the car has been perfect with no other issues. :-\

Thank you very much. -Chris
I recently had my passenger side front axle replaced and everything was great for 2 days and now my car is doing exactly what you have said yours is only after having crankshaft sensor replaced my check engine light starts flashing and idle goes up and down with the flash . It is very frustrating . And the code reader is still saying crankshaft sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.