Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was calling a few detailing places to get more info on waxing, and trying to find a decent place to take my Caliber (any day now:D).

A couple places recommended getting the dealers paint sealant done, and waxing later. They say that the wax protects the sealant, which is helping out the paint. The Mopar guarantee of 3 years doesn't sound too far fetched (* from what they've told me), and $300 isn't too bad, alot charge $500 or $600 :/

So...What I wonder is .. Is this some what correct? What's the difference between a wax and a sealant?

Just trying to verify some information, I've never had to look into this stuff before. I'd like to keep the Caliber looking good for a while :)

Thanks super knowledgeable caliber types

·
Registered
92 Posts
the black rt i just bought yesterday came with the dealer added sealant. i really didn't want it but that's all they had left on the lot in the awd. so i took it. the brochure explained that the car is protected and is suppose to keep the showroom shine for up to 5 years and you wouldn't need to wax until then.
don't know how accurate that is since this is my first car purchase with that on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMHO, paint sealant equals dealer profit. The vehicle already has clear-coat applied, and with a decent quality wax applied periodicallly with a little elbow grease, it should look good for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
believe me they didn't make much on it... I know dealers are scammers, but I used to work at one so I know hoe to deal with them.

I could care less the sealant is on there..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blewiz2 said:
the brochure explained that the car is protected and is suppose to keep the showroom shine for up to 5 years and you wouldn't need to wax until then.
don't know how accurate that is since this is my first car purchase with that on it.
The one they're offering me has 3 years. I thought it sounded a little to good to be true, but after calling the detailing places, I'm not so sure that it is a scam or something now. It does sound half decent really.

Fortunately I still have a day or so (based on the dealers estimated delivery date) to decide. If they'll knock $100 off or something I'll go for it for sure. I doubt they will though, they've said several times the $300 price is at cost. Compared to some other dealers that want $500, it sounds ok.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just helped someone negotiate an extra $400 off the price of her car. When she went to pick it up I wasn't there and they talked her into a "paint sealant" application stating that the paint they use now is cheaper so it will fade faster. Of course she believed them and had it done. :mad: Cost her the same $400 I just helped to save.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the sealant is a synthetic glaze that'll just last longer than a wax since wax is a "natural" substance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dont waste your money on the sealant!!! Instead go by your own products and learn how to take care of your cars clearcoat. If you dont know how to take care of it go to www.autopia.org and you will learn a ton of info on cleaning/detailing cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I researched this a bit and found out that waxing will leave those circular polishing marks after a while, which really shows up on black paint. Scam or not, I opted to go for the sealant. Waxing is a pain anyway, especially when you get it on the plastic trim. No thanks. No regrets here. She still looks great, and nothing is too good for my baby.:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went with the whole package :X got a bit of a deal on all three parts of the "master shield" package, so I went for it. I got a few bucks kicked in from a family member as well, they feel it's worth it and helped out with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
.50 said:
I researched this a bit and found out that waxing will leave those circular polishing marks after a while, which really shows up on black paint. Scam or not, I opted to go for the sealant. Waxing is a pain anyway, especially when you get it on the plastic trim. No thanks. No regrets here. She still looks great, and nothing is too good for my baby.:D
actually, it's not waxing that causes the swirl marks, it's having any kind of dust/debris still on your car before waxing it. That's where a claybar comes in handy. after youwash, you use a claybar and it'll remove all the microscopic particles that are imbedded into your paint. then you're ready for a paint cleaner/polish/wax

·
Registered
2 Posts
dawson said:
actually, it's not waxing that causes the swirl marks, it's having any kind of dust/debris still on your car before waxing it. That's where a claybar comes in handy. after youwash, you use a claybar and it'll remove all the microscopic particles that are imbedded into your paint. then you're ready for a paint cleaner/polish/wax
You mean Wash --> Clay Bar --> Wash again --> then whatever your using (cleaner/polish/wax)

I highly recommend the Zaino system. Its a little more expensive but damn worth it. I applied it to my Charger and it is amazing stuff. The first application takes a few hours to do but well worth it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
well, if you want to be super-anal about it, yes.... but IMO, if you've used a claybar, you're already 10 steps ahead of alot of car owners...

·
Registered
10 Posts
From professional experience dealer applied "Paint Sealant" is whatever they are using for the house wax. Most use a commercial grade like Auto Magic or something similar. Here is how the Paint sealant works at the dealer.

Sticker on window says (For example here in Arizona):

Desert Package $400.00

1. Paint Sealant
2. Plastic Protectant
4. Carpet Protectant
3. Etc.

Paint sealant is just wax or polymer wax product and happens weather you buy it or not.

Plastic protectant is just an Armor All type product.

Carpet Protectant is usually 3M Scotchgard

This is just an option they can try and get you to buy and if you decide not to it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to save $400 and they will sometimes say they will throw it in at no cost as a deal maker.

OPT OUT and wax it yourself with a $10-15 product off the shelf. You can always tell the salesman you know what the paint sealant is and you prefer not to pay $400 for a wax job and they will usually back off or say its something else otherwise. You can say you would like to see their sealant product and what it is. At that point they will tell you "Uhhhh it already applied on this particular vehicle so we will just throw it in at no charge".

Just watch your butt when it comes to dealerships and salesmen, these guys make their money off of you not paying attention and are PROFESSIONALS at what they are doing. Most buyers get all giddy and excited at the time of purchase and will say yes to most anything that sounds sweet and yummy to make the car look better. Salesmen watch for the "blind" and "overexcited" type and will take advantage of it. Just tell yourself one thing the whole time you are dealing with them. "They are crooks."

If you are willing to pay $400 for Paint and plastic sealant and carpet protectant bring your Caliber by my house and I will be more than happy to do it for $400 and tell you anything you want to hear to sweeten the $400 job you are getting from me and I will purchase a Bottle of Meguires Gold Class Sealant, Dash Protectant, and some 3M Scotchgard and I will even let you keep the leftovers after application for $400.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice explanation scanner. I just bought my Caliber today and boy did they press hard to sell the clearcot protection, fabric, and undercoating. I just kept saying no and they kept dropping the price. She got mad when I rolled my eyes at the "never needs waxing" part. They try to make you feel like your car wont survive without this stuff.

Just stick to your guns and say no. If the product was that good the manufacures would use it and brag about it in their broucures.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you bought or are going to buy any of the sealant packages just read the warranty first. The only thing they need to do is return the actual purchase cost. If they choose not to honor a warranty claim. Remember the manufacturer of the sealant is the warrantor not the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Buy a Porter Cable 7424 Buffer , some good polish and good finishing wax and your paint will look awesome and the finish will last longer than any of those dealer sealants. It's a scam........

·
Registered
87 Posts
Turtle Wax 2.97 + tax at Wal Mart,lol

·
Registered
574 Posts
:rolleyes: They don't make a lot of money on it? Yeah RIGHT. Then why when customers (Myself included) refuse the protection package at $400 do they lower it to $250 and then say at $200 it is a GREAT deal for me. Then when I still say NO they are all pissy and act like little kids and tell me how "crazy" I am repedatly for not getting the package.

I just kept telling them I use Meguiars and I am VERY anal about my paints finish so I want to do it myself. After the $250 offer I told them I am not TRYING to get the price down I DONT WANT THE PACKAGE!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Also a side note, read the fine print, you will probably find a clause that states you must bring the car back every year for an annual "checkup", that usually means they charge you to "look" at your car, and sometimes just rebuff it to bring the shine back. So they get your $400 and get to charge you $50 to $100 every year for the "checkup".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts