Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked in my owners manual & from what I have read it sounds like when no one is sitting in the passenger side seat ( & nothing on the seat ) that the light should be on indicating that the airbag is off. Mine doesn't do this. The light comes on when I first start the car and then goes off after a few seconds. Just wondering if I should have this looked at since it never stays on....I have tried a few different things trying to get it to stay on, but nothing works. Just want to know if it is working right or not. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think... "think"... if the light goes on when someone/something is in that seat, it means the airbag will not go off. Being that the person/ thing is under a certain weight. So in theory, the light should not be on when someone (over the certain weight) is in the seat. Not sure, but hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
the light will come on if there is weight in teh seat but under a certain amount.. just put your hand on teh seat and watch the light come on.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just strap a baby in the seat and it will stay on for you.:p I'm only kidding , don't do that. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If there is nothing in the seat, the airbag is actually off but the airbag light is not lit. If you have enough weight on the seat to trigger the light, then it will let you know it's disabled. The airbag will only deploy in a crash if there is a passenger over a certain weight (it's 80 or 100lbs, I can't remember) and the light is off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A case of beer in the passenger seat turned the light on and I thought there was a problem..........until I read the manual and now I understand what it's doing......sure would be devistating for the beer to sustain an airbag injury...LOL

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like everyone else said, it comes on when the passenger seat senses weight, but is not heavy enough to activate the airbag. I think it's a safety thing; you don't want the airbag deploying if you have a child sitting on that seat.

The airbag light comes on when I put my laundry bag on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
414 Posts
EXcaliber said:
A case of beer in the passenger seat turned the light on and I thought there was a problem..........until I read the manual and now I understand what it's doing......sure would be devistating for the beer to sustain an airbag injury...LOL
Beer belongs in the back seat in the middle (safest place in any car)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:
Beer belongs in the back seat in the middle (safest place in any car)
And still within easy reach.;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
^isnt that what you guys use the chill zone for? LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I tried putting my hand on the seat with a little pressure and sure enough the light did come on. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts