Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try one of the Performance chip mods that are available? They claim to provide about 10HP improvement and can be found for about $200.00

·
Registered
377 Posts
There are very few reliable companies when it comes to chips/tuners:

SCT Flash (Works on every car, just have to get your car to an SCT-authorized tuner with a dyno)
Unichip (Works on every car, but they haven't done anything with any 2007 model year except Toyota)
Diablosport (Probably has no interest)
Superchips (Probably has no interest)

As for the universal power modules and chips on eBay, garbage that does more damage to your car than your wallet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
SCT tunes are top of the line, Uni chips are overpriced for what you get and one he didn't mention are JET chips which are pretty damn good but you have to take your ecu out and send it to them for a decent tune/chip flash to be done:(

It's the wifes car but I'm a standalone guy on my little VW's and my last Mustang so i know about tuning, and learn more everyday, don't feel really strongly about mail order chips though to tell you the truth, but they do help out a little.

hope this info helps you.

T

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jet now has one which looks like a Stage 1, which has what appears to have 4 wires to attach. It does not replace a chip in the computer, or piggy back on the wiring harnes, it pluggs into something. Then you have a small box that you place within reach of the driver. Any thoughts twards this upgrade?

·
Registered
644 Posts
JEt makes pretty good ones from what i understand.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How has the new intake and exaust helped your cars performance? With everything you have done to open up your cars engine performance, why havent you pursued installing the Jet performance kit?

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a reason why I didn't list Jet Chips, I wouldn't let Jet tune a Yugo. Plug-n-play chips are a horrible modification to begin with, like Hypertech chips, they tend to split vehicles into two or three classes. The anatomy of a Hypertech Street Runner chip just screws up the air/fuel ratio on most, the Thermal Master chip ruins timing. On these two particular chips on one vehicle did nothing more than make the car run richer and alter timing, the dyno showed 0 gain peak, in fact lost some at some points of the powerband.

A chip needs to be customed tuned to YOUR vehicle even if it is stock, stock vehicles have variances between each other in how they are initially broken in, variances as much as 18 FWHP difference in one 3.0L naturally aspirated V6. This is why companies like Arizona Dyno Chip, great company when it comes to custom chip burning for Fords, has so much business.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
caliber172 said:
How has the new intake and exaust helped your cars performance? With everything you have done to open up your cars engine performance, why havent you pursued installing the Jet performance kit?
How has the new intake and exaust helped your cars performace? Have you done any timing tests?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I havent ^^

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it feal any faster, or just louder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A friend of mine is a SCT dealer (Lund Racing) and was the first to flash a GT500 (article coming in Hot Rod soon)...The tuner he sent me for my Crown Vic is great. Make sure the dealer you get them from will adjust the tune if you send datalogs. No listing for DC from SCT, though.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
SCT is the heat, however they are muscle car tuner's, until they put a hemi in the Cali, they won't even blink an eye our way. I've ran SCT on my Mustang's for years, right back to a 5 flash switch chip:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
bahndrvr said:
SCT is the heat, however they are muscle car tuner's, until they put a hemi in the Cali, they won't even blink an eye our way. I've ran SCT on my Mustang's for years, right back to a 5 flash switch chip:)
Uhhh yeah.. that would explain why SCT has a flash for a Ford Fusion, it's so muscular with it's 2.3L 4-cylinder and 3.0L V6 option..

As stated for the upteenthmillion time SCT won't do anything, SCT authorized tuners and dealers will, it just takes someone to get off their lazy butt, out of this thread and to an SCT tuner.

Go to www.sctflash.com and put in your zipcode and you will find out they have one in almost every state.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The reason there aren't any good tuners for ANY Dodge vehicle is because Dodge won't release the source code for it's PCM programing. Every manufacturer has thier own custom programming they use. Ford and Chevy have both released thiers to the aftermarket. Dodge has not. Which is why there are only two places you can get a performance flash for a Dakota PCM. One of those places is ran by DC engineers in thier off time, and the other is the place that was contracted by Dodge to do the flashes for the Mopar PCMs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You could megasquirt it, and Cool calli, the Duratech in the fusion is the same basic engine that was in the SVT Contour so of course it has support for it, there's alot of potential in that engine and it comes with a 6 speed automatic. There will be some fast one's pretty quick.

·
Registered
377 Posts
bahndrvr said:
You could megasquirt it, and Cool calli, the Duratech in the fusion is the same basic engine that was in the SVT Contour so of course it has support for it, there's alot of potential in that engine and it comes with a 6 speed automatic. There will be some fast one's pretty quick.
No..no.. That's like saying Slick Willy Clinton and Dubya are the basically the same person just because they held the same title as President.

Shortblock wise there is not much difference from the 2.5L Duratec and the 3.0L AJ V6. The AJ family recieved a high volume oil pump and revised oil pan over the 2.5L. Heads on up they are two completely different engines.

The 2.5L had tiny drainbacks in the cylinder heads which led to pooling of oil in the heads, leaving the oil pan dry at high RPMs, which is why so many Contours spun rods at high RPMs and in the corners. The 3.0L Duratec Taurus heads fixed this with large drainbacks and this carried on to the AJ series. The AJ series of heads got a new set of camshafts, completely different lift, duration and lobe seperation than compared to the SVT and ST220 (Mondeo) cams. In fact the AJ exhaust cam is the perferred cam for performance according to Contour.org. Let's not forget the fact that the AJ series also utilized Ford's iVCT technology, Intake Variable Cam Timing.

The 2.5L used split-port intake manifolds, all 01+ Duratecs used oval port, however the AJ series recieved the ST220 lower intake manifold, which is from the Ford Mondeo ST220, while keeping the Taurus plastic oval port upper intake manifold. The 2.5L also used IMRC in the lower intake manifold, which is Intake Manifold Runner Control, basically a series of butterflies in the secondary, smaller port that opened up above a certain RPM, so it could build torque down low and horsepower up high. The problem with that is, it was problematic and became obsolete when Contour owner's started modifying. The IMRC control box was placed atop the valve cover, they might as well have placed it on the exhaust manifold because the box was not designed to take heat and sitting on the valve cover, it took quite a bit and eventually fails. When Contour owners started modifying the IMRC butterflies become more of an obstruction than a performance assist. The SVT upper intake was designed by Porsche, all of the oval port intakes were designed by Ford.

Exterior wise on the engine, the power steering pump got moved from it's central location in the V-valley down to along side the engine, this was exclusive to the AJ series as the 2.5L and 3.0L Duratecs still kept it dead center in the valley.

Computer wise, the whole basis of this conversation, the Contour used EEC-V and OBD-II protocol. All AJ series of engines use EEC-VI and CAN protocol. Two completely different computers, two completely different protocols.

·
Registered
377 Posts
HSKR said:
The reason there aren't any good tuners for ANY Dodge vehicle is because Dodge won't release the source code for it's PCM programing. Every manufacturer has thier own custom programming they use. Ford and Chevy have both released thiers to the aftermarket. Dodge has not. Which is why there are only two places you can get a performance flash for a Dakota PCM. One of those places is ran by DC engineers in thier off time, and the other is the place that was contracted by Dodge to do the flashes for the Mopar PCMs.
Which is why it has taken them over a year to crack DCX's code, SCT had stated they wanted to showcase a Dodge Viper SRT-10 with an SCT flash at SEMA this year, but they were not able to make the deadline. The release of CAN also had them slow down on the DCX project, they want to get GM CAN support out first.

I still say go, while they may not have full control of every variable in the ECU, you don't know what they can manipulate now until you try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts