Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm a new member here and I was wondering if anyone had performance upgrade ideas for a 2007 SXT. It's a CVT tran. with the 2.0 liter. I love my car, my parents got it for me when I turned 16 for good grades and such. I just wish it had a little more pep in its step. Right now all I have is the KN filter and Michelin Hydro-edge tires. Thanks. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
You're 16...the car you have is perfect.

Learn how to drive a normal car without issues first.

Sorry, don't mean to preach but if I had a fast car at 16, I seriously would have messed some crap up.

For your car...there basically are no performance upgrades. Exhaust, intake...sure. Will it give you more power? A little. Only way to make a four cylinder make power is with forced induction. You could go that route, but you have a CVT transmission which won't handle the power.

Reactions: Caliberfan2010

·
Registered
831 Posts
Right now, the best way to make the car faster is to make the DRIVER faster. Get more experience on the road before doing anything else. :)

Reactions: Caliberfan2010

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You're 16...the car you have is perfect.

Learn how to drive a normal car without issues first.

Sorry, don't mean to preach but if I had a fast car at 16, I seriously would have messed some crap up.

For your car...there basically are no performance upgrades. Exhaust, intake...sure. Will it give you more power? A little. Only way to make a four cylinder make power is with forced induction. You could go that route, but you have a CVT transmission which won't handle the power.

I'm not 16. I got a 2007 SXT december of 07 and i turned 16 in Janurary of 08. I am 18 now. I know how most people think, 16 year old = hide behind a tree, but I'm a safe driver and have plenty of experience.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I'm not 16. I got a 2007 SXT december of 07 and i turned 16 in Janurary of 08. I am 18 now. I know how most people think, 16 year old = hide behind a tree, but I'm a safe driver and have plenty of experience.
Sorry...18.

Two...maybe three years on the road? How many miles do you drive a year? Do you drive the exact same roads all the time?

You're young and inexperienced. We were all there. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

To your question, there is very little you can do to your car and still keep it a reliable daily driver. Take it from those who have been there, keep a reliable DD if you can. Then, have your project/fun car.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
guys, quit busting his balls! it's not our position to judge his driving skill - just answer his question....

There aren't a ton of bolt on mods for the SXT to be honest; you've got an intake so that leaves:

header
exhaust

If I were you, I'd have a local shop do a custom cat back with a muffler you like the sound of (youtube or streetfire to hear some options)

HICal could give you some feedback on the header, shoot him a PM

Other than that - drive that bish like you stole it and make sure you have a living will :bigthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry...18.

Two...maybe three years on the road? How many miles do you drive a year? Do you drive the exact same roads all the time?

You're young and inexperienced. We were all there. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

To your question, there is very little you can do to your car and still keep it a reliable daily driver. Take it from those who have been there, keep a reliable DD if you can. Then, have your project/fun car.

O no, my friend, im not being defensive, I'm just saying I'm not the typical teenager that hot dogs it all the time out on the road. I understand that the longer you spend driving the more experienced you become, but ive gown up around super-cars, driving is just a passion of mine. But, I do appreciate your insight. :beerchug:

I'm not trying to make my Cali like a GTR. lol

·
Premium Member
33,175 Posts
O no, my friend, im not being defensive, I'm just saying I'm not the typical teenager that hot dogs it all the time out on the road. I understand that the longer you spend driving the more experienced you become, but ive gown up around super-cars, driving is just a passion of mine. But, I do appreciate your insight. :beerchug:

I'm not trying to make my Cali like a GTR. lol
well hopefully, that warranty void button is a pain :rofl:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the exhaust on the SXT. Automatics sound crappy with aftermarket exhausts (IMO), CVT would sound worse, and with the revs climbing and holding I can see it droning a fair bit. All for minimal performance gains which the CVT will eat anyway.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What I found on mine though, the best mod is to either remove the resonator (the battery cover piece) from the start of the intake, or to modify it. I'll post some pics here later when I take some pics, but I basically took a dremel and cut another hole on the bottom of it, and removed the "cap" at the end of the most rearward part of the resonator. This opened it up a fair bit, and it makes a small difference. Considering the whole intake breaths through a 1.5x3 inch hole with this in, how could it not?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here's the pics as promised. As you can guess, I didn't exactly plot the cuts before cutting :nono:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting, when we went to the dealer yesterday to sign the papers on our new (used) SXT, that air channel part was sitting in the cargo area. Hope they were just detailing the engine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I took mine out soon after I got the car. I found it made quite the difference. That's why I opened it up a little and put it back, but I still don't find it *quite* the same as having it removed. If you look at the size of the opening into the airbox itself, and the opening into the resonator, there's quite the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
The SXT sounds simular to my old 01 LE Neon (3-speed).

Put a K&N drop in to save $$ on paper filters, and then focused the stereo sound quality.
Best sounding slow car out there.

Off topic: In case anyone is wondering, I had two neons at one point, 95 2-door (heavily modded) and a 01 with a big stereo.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
IMO, an Air Intake mod would be the best bet for all non-srt models. The intake breather design is very restrictive. Suggestions are either opening it up like Sky's or an entire nozzle redesign which I have. I would not recommend just ripping it off because then it'll be a hot air intake, not good.

Other options would be the exhaust. I have the Mopar header and aftermarket muffler. The header is a direct swap and only slightly louder than the stock exhaust manifold. It has a lower rumble tone which sounds nice and is still very quiet. The stock muffler is both restrictive and heavy. If you decide to replace the muffler, get an aftermarket muffler but stay away from those ricer and so called hi-performance ones. Unless you are one for that, a loud muffler would sound awful.

But best bet is start with the intake. This is where you'll find possibly the best gains.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
x2 on intake. Even if its just putting a reusable filter on there, it will help.

as far as going crazy with modding, there is no way to tune a caliber at the moment, and as far as internal engine components, to my knowledge, there are none for the non srt model, so thats a no go there as well.

You can do that basic intake/header/exhaust, but imo the exhaust on the caliber stock in plenty big enough(2.25 inch diameter)

You could also consider either lowering it via springs, or by coilovers

Im also not trying to bust your balls, but i will agree to some point in saying get more experience driving as well, before wanting to go faster.

Coming from someone who had 13 tickets, and 3 suspensions on my license, going fast isnt worth it unless its on a track :rofl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Programmers, Cold Air intake Headers and Cat back exhaust, if you run a CVT tranny...wait til warranty is up. Anything for any reason happens to ur CVT tranny, Dealer is gonna say sorry about your luck no warranty for you.. Trust me I work as a licensed tech for Dodge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts