Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally had the silver bezel but the Marine Blue looks so much nicer.




 

·
Banned
Joined
·
400 Posts
WORD! @XT I want the same exact thing, but with silve bezel. Huff, how much was the damage?:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it off ebay for $900 plus $55 for the bezel. Prices on ebay range from $600-$1000 but you have to make sure to get the corrrect unit as well as the software and antenna.

Latest REC Nav. radio part number is 56038646AM. The AM revision has a different style joystick control than prior revisions. Earlier versions were prone to breaking.

Latest Nav. software DVD part number is 5064033AD.

Lower priced REC units on ebay may have older revisions of the stereo itself, older software (AB, AC revisions) or lack an antenna ($50 seperate).

mr.cd1 on ebay seems to have the most but is a bit higher priced. He does give a 45 day warranty and free shipping though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Did you install the radio yourself? If so, run into any problems I should be aware of before I install mine. Lastly, is the sound quality much better than the stock radio? Yeah, I got all my upgrades bought already, just waiting for my Caliber I ordered about three months ago. Anyway, looks awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No real problems installing. I used a thin plastic spatula inserted between the shift lever bezel and the floor console to remove it. There is a snap on each corner and using the spatula to press against them made it easy to remove. Same thing with the radio bezel. Use plastic so as not to scratch anything.

The antenna is the toughest to mount. It goes directly under the dash top. Loosen the top along the left side just enough to get the antenna underneath. I did not mount it in the normal designated spot. I found it much easier to mount directly above the stereo. There is a recess in the plasic under the dash top at this location that works well. The normal spot is a bit tougher to get to.

There is no electrical splicing to do. Connectors are removed from old stereo and plug right into the REC stereo.

When you get ready to do yours let me know. I'll make some more complete notes to post.

The sound quality is a better than the 6 CD stereo. I still find it a bit bassy on Sirius but CD's and FM sound great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
STEELBLueCALI said:
Thanks! Sounds good to me.:)
Just a suggestion, if you're willing to pay $600-$1000 for a radio, I would seriously look into the 7" touch-screen Kenwood DDX-6019. I heard its a really aweseome radio, and top of the line. I wish I looked around before dropping $800 for a Mopar radio off of Ebay. The Kenwood cost about the same plus you get a much bigger screen, a touch screen, plays all sorts of DVD formats , and has all sorts of connectivity for such items as PS2, Xbox, additional monitors, cameras, Etc. Mopar REC nav radio has none of those capabilities. Right now I haven't really made up my mind if I'm going to keep the REC radio, I might list it on Ebay here shortly. The only thing that really concerns me about putting a really expensive looking radio in a car is the fact it might draw unwanted attention to my car from radio/car thieves, where the REC radio still looks pretty stock looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Huff said:
No real problems installing. I used a thin plastic spatula inserted between the shift lever bezel and the floor console to remove it. There is a snap on each corner and using the spatula to press against them made it easy to remove. Same thing with the radio bezel. Use plastic so as not to scratch anything.

The antenna is the toughest to mount. It goes directly under the dash top. Loosen the top along the left side just enough to get the antenna underneath. I did not mount it in the normal designated spot. I found it much easier to mount directly above the stereo. There is a recess in the plasic under the dash top at this location that works well. The normal spot is a bit tougher to get to.

There is no electrical splicing to do. Connectors are removed from old stereo and plug right into the REC stereo.

When you get ready to do yours let me know. I'll make some more complete notes to post.

The sound quality is a better than the 6 CD stereo. I still find it a bit bassy on Sirius but CD's and FM sound great.
With the new designated spot, do you think the nav reception will be compromised in any way? Right now, the only part of the installation process that has me a little concerned is the dash removal for the nav antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The GPS reception has been perfect. The location I put it in is not as far forward as normal but still well under the glass. The dash top is not difficult to loosen up. Someone else posted some notes on screw and snap locations that helped.

The Kenwood stereo mentioned does not have GPS. It does play DVD which the REC stereo does not. Another stereo to look at would be the new Panasonic AVIC Z1. It plays DVD's and has GPS and touchscreen. Street price is about $1600. The reason for staying with Mopar is if you have UConnect, Sirius, steering wheel controls etc. An aftermarket stereo would be difficult to get all that working. The REC stereo is plug and play.

If you want to sell your REC let me know. My wife may want it for her Durango.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Shoot, I totally forgot about the steering wheel controls...I guess I'll have to think about sacrificing one thing for another...:eek::eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
That looks AMAZING... i'm glad everything worked out for you with the install, I think all the Calibers should have those.

I ordered an in-dash mopar GPS for my SRT4 from Mr.CD1 on Ebay and it's excellent, not to mention he gives excellent customer service.

If anyone is considering buying one from him, dont be worried, he's a great Ebayer.

As far as people seeing that you have a GPS system in your car.. just tint the windows nicely and slap in a good alarm and you should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Ironside said:
That looks AMAZING... i'm glad everything worked out for you with the install, I think all the Calibers should have those.

I ordered an in-dash mopar GPS for my SRT4 from Mr.CD1 on Ebay and it's excellent, not to mention he gives excellent customer service.

If anyone is considering buying one from him, dont be worried, he's a great Ebayer.

As far as people seeing that you have a GPS system in your car.. just tint the windows nicely and slap in a good alarm and you should be fine.
Is the Security alarm system found in the security package any good? I have the security package ordered with my Caliber, and not too sure as to how it works.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I ordered a REC NAV for my Magnum from Mr. CD1 and the 6 CD changer didn't work, someone forgot the shipping bracket that secures the changer. I sent it back and got an exchange, no problem. I plan on ordering another one as soon as Chrysler has the Solar Yellow bezel available for my Caliber SXT Sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
Badpenny said:
I ordered a REC NAV for my Magnum from Mr. CD1 and the 6 CD changer didn't work, someone forgot the shipping bracket that secures the changer. I sent it back and got an exchange, no problem. I plan on ordering another one as soon as Chrysler has the Solar Yellow bezel available for my Caliber SXT Sport.
it *may* be available, just sorta hiding.... did you see this thread in the Appearance Mods thread?? (in particular, see post #3 from Huff.)
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575

Sounds like part numbers are messed up and bezels are listed as for export only. But with a little sleuthing you (or the parts counter) should be able to find the right part number to order. Good luck, hope you find the yellow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Badpenny said:
I ordered a REC NAV for my Magnum from Mr. CD1 and the 6 CD changer didn't work, someone forgot the shipping bracket that secures the changer. I sent it back and got an exchange, no problem. I plan on ordering another one as soon as Chrysler has the Solar Yellow bezel available for my Caliber SXT Sport.
Contact Shannon at United Radio at 800-448-0944 extension 3042. She has a contact at Chrysler parts and was able to find the correct part number for the Marine Blue NAV bezel. United's price is $52 plus shipping.

When I got my bezel I saw on the back a white sticker with the part number thats listed in Dodge dealers catalogs but can't order by!! The box it came in had the part number that I was able to order by. The bezels exist. Just messed up in their system.

My REC unit from mr.cd1 did not have any shipping bracket that I'm aware of. Seems to play CD's just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Nice work on the install. You'll love the navigation part of it. It makes things so much easier. Somebody tells you "to get to my place you take a left at the..." when you break in and say "what's your address; I got in flight navigation!" It's fricken sweet. Another nice thing that i use it for is guaging my commute. If I know i'll be there in 15 minutes and I have 20 before I need to, I can stop and grab a bite to eat or something to drink. It is awesome.

BTW, if I paypal you a few bucks, can you try to burn your nav DVD. Mine is from back in February and is missing some stuff they finished up late last year.

Thanks and enjoy your new system.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RCompart,
What is your DVD's revision? On the DVD the last few characters of the part number should be 033xx where xx is AB, AC, AD etc. The latest revision is AD which is what I have.

I haven't tried burning it yet. It requires a dual layer disc which costs about $4 each. Hopefully it won't take too many tries to figure out how to copy it. I read a few online forums that gave some notes on settings to use.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top