Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Unless you want to spend a lot of effort keeping a very thick layer of protectant on the hood, a bra (hood cover) is not a very good idea. Sure, they protect from rock chips, and they might look nice, but they are hard on the paint over time.

Moisture gets under them and doesn't get out very easily. As times goes on, the covers tend to lose thier fit through expanding and shrinking with temperature changes, this causes the edges to rub the paint causing excess wear.

I had a similar hood cover on my '86 Nissan P/U. I would take it off to air out every time I washed the car. I would apply wax to the area it covered everytime I took it off. After 5 or 6 years, the paint under the cover actually looked worse than the rest of the truck, especially along the line where the edge of the cover was.

Maybe if you applied some of that clear 3M adhesive chip protector to the area first, it might help protect the pain. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest putting a bra on the car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you wanted to slowly acclimate the car to a front-end cover, would you use a "training bra?"

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
hey JLM... where did you order the fender vents from? and are they functional or just looks....

·
Registered
128 Posts
mudstone ...they were ordered from Summit racing and are made by Lund.They are just for looks but you could probably cut into the fender and make them functional but like the hood scoops on my Caliber that would be too much work.LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
JLM 3 said:
mudstone ...they were ordered from Summit racing and are made by Lund.They are just for looks but you could probably cut into the fender and make them functional but like the hood scoops on my Caliber that would be too much work.LOL
please give me info on the hood scoops. they remind me of the 340 scoops i had on my Dart Sport. Love to get um for my Black R/T

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mike..I got the hood scoops from JC Whitney and are the small size.I just had them painted and was going to cut into the hood but was told to not even bother.They are on with 3M tape that comes with them.Here area few more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
JLM3......scoops look nice. I just put the hood cover on my Caliber and the only thing I don't like are the 4 plastic pieces that insert in the top "bumpers" to keep the cover from buffeting. Mine do not seem to want to stay put. I bought mine thru Dodge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I decided I was going to purchase a Caliber I thought about getting the front end/hood cover to protect the front end. I have had one on all of my cars. I have purchased through the dealers for factory ones and aftermarket. The best one I purchased was for my Ranger. I bought it thru a local styling shop It was a Colgan brand and I paid almost $200.00 for it. When have taken the the cover off any of my cars you could see were the edge had been. I would wash my car every week (still do) and I would remove the cover and wash it seperately and let it dry before reinstalling and you would still see a faint line across the hood.

When I did purchase my Cailber I had them install a Clear Bra, I love it you can't even tell that it is there. Any new or repainted car I have, will be getting one.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I haven't had any problem with my hood cover not staying put.I only use it when I take the car on the highway though.There is a thread in the appearence/Body Mod room and the paint I picked up from Pepboys and it is by Dupli-Color.Easy to do but it can take forever if you don't take the tire off.LOL Here is a better pic of one of the calibers after it is painted.

alarsen...that clear Bra is very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
JLM 3 said:
Mike..I got the hood scoops from JC Whitney and are the small size.I just had them painted and was going to cut into the hood but was told to not even bother.They are on with 3M tape that comes with them.Here area few more pics.
Thanx, I wouldnt cut the hood, just wanna go for the looks. Winter is coming and ill have some projects to work on with my Cali and PT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mike...That is exactly what I settled on as well.I had a very hard time finding hood scoops that were small enough for the Cali. and JC Whitney was the only place as everyone else offered medium as the smallest size they carried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts