Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how better to describe it but everytime I am done driving it makes this pinging noise (like someone tapping metal) for about 3-4 minutes. Dealer said it was the muffler expanding retracting dont know if I buy it. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
...but where, I have no idea.
It's coming from the exhaust and muffler. I've crawled under there and listened to it. It seems to be coming from a couple of places between the headers and the exhaust tip.

It's slightly embarrassing whenever I park where there are lots of people.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
GOT said:
It's coming from the exhaust and muffler. I've crawled under there and listened to it. It seems to be coming from a couple of places between the headers and the exhaust tip.

It's slightly embarrassing whenever I park where there are lots of people.
Were you able to pin-point it more at a joint/ clamp in one place or another. Loosen up some of the clamps? Then you may get a rattle....;)

Hopefully they have a professional remedy for the current Caliber owners and a fix for the ones to-be built!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Xtreme Thunder said:
Were you able to pin-point it more at a joint/ clamp in one place or another. Loosen up some of the clamps? Then you may get a rattle....;)
I didn't spend much time trying to figure out what was going on. I just wanted to know where the noise was coming from and if there was a major problem. As it is I don't know if it's a problem beside the sound annoyance (which is a problem albeit a minor one).

I'm waiting to take the car in for the complimentary oil change to talk with the dealer about all the issues (and so I'm not continually running to the dealer every time something is wrong). When that happens I’ll report back.

·
Registered
311 Posts
...and finally, after 1800 miles, I barely hear that pinging/tinkling noise when I park my Caliber.

YAY!

Tyke

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think someone here said that it was the "resonator" pipe and their dealer had ordered one. A Resonator to me is an xtra small muffler, to supplement the main one, so I dunno.........sounded to me like dealer gafflegarb........:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
You think you hear pinging noise on your Caliber? You should come in the garage and listen to my Harley ping after a long ride. That baby sings to me for about 5 minutes!

My Harley's name is Emma. So, after I go out and stretch Emma's legs, Emma talks to me and says shes now happy! That's Emma's way of telling me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have well over 3K miles on mine. It still ticks when I stop it. But I have just learned to ignore it. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I figured I'd mention this to you guys, I took the Cailber in this morning cause it's still pulling to the right, and my service guy, said he had another Cailber in with the ticking, he noticed it on mine before I even mentioned it. They will be replacing my exhaust system. As they are doing the same with the other Cailber in service.

He mentioned complaints about the glove box cooling system, I told him not to touch it, since there is no fix, no need to have my car taken apart for them to figure it out. I'll wait. Same thing with the sliding center arm rest. Last thing...yes I know runnnn onn sentences... I do not know if this is normal but only my drivers door unlocks when I park the car, they said all of them should unlock, and it takes 2 pushes on the button to get them to unlock, again not normal. The reason I took it in this morning is because my lights have gotten stuck turned on after I lock the car. He said there have been updates to the programing since I got the car and that it all seems like symptoms of the same thing. We shall see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SinisterR/T said:
... I do not know if this is normal but only my drivers door unlocks when I park the car, they said all of them should unlock, and it takes 2 pushes on the button to get them to unlock, again not normal. The reason I took it in this morning is because my lights have gotten stuck turned on after I lock the car. He said there have been updates to the programing since I got the car and that it all seems like symptoms of the same thing. We shall see.
Sounds like your dealer may not be completely familiar with the caliber yet? The remote is normal, thats how all of them work initially, there is a procedure to reprogram it so that all the doors unlock at once. I don't have my manual with me, but I remember reading it and I know some of the others here on the forums have done the reprogram. The lights thing may also be part of that. Mine stay on I think for 45 seconds after I lock the car with the remote, and again that is all programmable through the car and explained in the manual. I don't know what the longest amount of time they will stay on for is, I'll have to check the manual some time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that might be the case, and I'd love them to reprogram it, the only problem is my lights stay on past the 45sec. Like overnight. It's done it on quite a few occasions. I have to open the door , filp the lights on and off, and then they dim correctly. It's like it gets stuck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW, I never thought I would get that many responses so fast, haha.
Sorry you all have the same problem but glad I'm not the only one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
karenh56 said:
You think you hear pinging noise on your Caliber? You should come in the garage and listen to my Harley ping after a long ride. That baby sings to me for about 5 minutes!

My Harley's name is Emma. So, after I go out and stretch Emma's legs, Emma talks to me and says shes now happy! That's Emma's way of telling me.
Interesting. So all that ping-singing is doing no harm... or rather it's not the evidence of things falling apart/deteriorating?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I saw a notice about this. It is coming from the resonator, the slip joint on the original was too tight, an engineering change has been made. Dealers will change it if you ask.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mealso said:
I saw a notice about this. It is coming from the resonator, the slip joint on the original was too tight, an engineering change has been made. Dealers will change it if you ask.
Is there a place where I can find this notice? I normaly use alldata.com for technical bulletins and recall notices but there's is no information yet on the Caliber...

·
Registered
245 Posts
SinisterR/T said:
...I do not know if this is normal but only my drivers door unlocks when I park the car, they said all of them should unlock, and it takes 2 pushes on the button to get them to unlock, again not normal. The reason I took it in this morning is because my lights have gotten stuck turned on after I lock the car. He said there have been updates to the programing since I got the car and that it all seems like symptoms of the same thing. We shall see.
This is fairly typical of vehicle with remote keyless entry; I have never driven a vehicle where all 2-4 doors unlocked with a single press. Regardless here is how you go about changing this.

Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features)
This allows the driver to set and recall features when the transmission is in PARK (automatic transmission) or the vehicle is stopped (manual transmissions). Press and release the EVIC button until Personal Settings is displayed in the EVIC. Use the EVIC button to display one of the following choices:

Remote Unlock Driver’s Door 1st
When DRIVER’S DOOR 1ST is selected only the driver’s door will unlock on the first press of the remote keyless entry unlock button and require a second press to unlock the remaining locked doors. When REMOTE UNLOCK ALL DOORS is selected all of the doors will unlock at the first press of the remote keyless entry unlock button. Press and hold the EVIC button when in this display until “DRIVER’S DOOR 1ST” or “ALL DOORS” appears to make your selection.

You can also find the entire array of customizable features listed here:
http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7997&postcount=7

If you do not have the EVIC system you can use the below procedure:
  1. Press and hold the LOCK button on a programmed key fob.
  2. Continue to hold the LOCK button at least 4 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds, then press and hold the UNLOCK button. A single chime will sound to indicate that this feature has changed.
  3. Release both buttons at the same time.
  4. Test the feature while outside of the vehicle, by pressing the LOCK/UNLOCK button on the keyfob.
  5. If the desired programming was not achieved or to reactivate this feature, repeat the above steps.
NOTE: Pressing the LOCK button on the keyfob while you are inside the vehicle will activate the Security Alarm. Opening a door with the Security Alarm activated will cause the alarm to sound. Press the UNLOCK button to Deactivate the Security Alarm.

Hope this was helpful to you,

Dan

·
Registered
689 Posts
mealso said:
Here is the notice from dodgeforum.com
This would be a TSB and not a recall I would think.

From Engineering:

"Customer complains of severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. A design change was made to relieve this tight fit. This will reduce the cooldown ticking noise from the exhaust to a normal level.
The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced if a customer complains of this condition. "

Clean point in production is 5/1/2006.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ejfb said:
Here is the notice from dodgeforum.com
This would be a TSB and not a recall I would think.

From Engineering:

"Customer complains of severe pop, click or ping noise from exhaust during cooldown. Noise is above normal cooldown ticking noises heard on other exhaust systems. Source of the noise is the slip joint at the resonator outlet. The cause is the joint building too tight at the supplier and not allowing the internal resonator tube to slide within the joint. A design change was made to relieve this tight fit. This will reduce the cooldown ticking noise from the exhaust to a normal level.
The muffler/resonator assembly should be replaced if a customer complains of this condition. "

Clean point in production is 5/1/2006.
Is there a TSB # associated with this? My dealer for some reason was not able to find anything concerning it after I told him about it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts