Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a post on another forum. The person claims that the dealer told them that the pinging sound coming from the exhaust is due to a "faulty resignator pipe", and they ordered the replacement. :confused: Has anyone else heard of this, or gotten any dealer feedback on the issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
man I hope that's all it is.. it would be sweet to have that awefull noise fixed when I take it in for my first oil change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
dianicess said:
I was just reading a post on another forum. The person claims that the dealer told them that the pinging sound coming from the exhaust is due to a "faulty resignator pipe", and they ordered the replacement. :confused: Has anyone else heard of this, or gotten any dealer feedback on the issue?
Was it the engine pinging or the exhaust "tinking" post.I think he meant resonator??:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pacerman said:
Was it the engine pinging or the exhaust "tinking" post.I think he meant resonator??:)
the exhaust "tinking." I believe you're right..."resonator pipe" is an exhaust part, I googled it. Wonder if we'll have to have this item replaced to stop the ping :eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Funny thing is, the exhaust tinked for awhile on all new cars I have had. Some had far worse break-in "features" such as a rotten egg smell for the first 1,500 miles.

Others on here have commented on it and those with quadruple-digit mileages have reported the "tinking" has disappeared on its own. Now if it is a faulty factory part, that doesn't explain how it goes away after break-in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
dianicess said:
the exhaust "tinking." I believe you're right...
I just crossed 1300 miles and have realized that I'm not hearing that loud tinking noise when I park. HOORRAY!

..and so, does that mean it's a defective part that has resolved itself, or is this really referring to something else?

Tyke

·
Registered
82 Posts
The pinging or tinking sound you here is the new exaust pipes expanding and contracting this goes away when there is a bit of carbon build up

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
waynet said:
The pinging or tinking sound you here is the new exaust pipes expanding and contracting this goes away when there is a bit of carbon build up
Hope so. I'm near 2k miles and it still sounds like a giant time bomb whener I park... I hate it! Everyone stares at the car and then they look at me (as I walk away) as if something is wrong. :mad:

And if this can be fixed, why isn't Dodge saying anything about it? IT'S ANNOYING (and I hope that's all).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I heard using better gas fixes the problem. I use super unleaded in mine and no sounds just the engine and fans...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Scjon03 said:
I heard using better gas fixes the problem. I use super unleaded in mine and no sounds just the engine and fans...
I think you're talking about engine knock. The pinging sounds that this thread is about is from the exhaust system and doesn't have anything to do with fuel types and mixtures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts