Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to add some pinstripes to my Caliber. I'm looking at the 1/4" (4/16") wide double stripe (one wide/one narrow stripe). It will follow the line below the windows from right behind the front fender flairs back to the tail lights.

My problem is coming up with a color that will look good on the Marine Blue. My first thought was bright red, but I really don't think that would look good. I don't want to stripes to be the center of attention. In my opinion, they should slightly contrast with the paint, yet compliment the body color enough that they add a subtle accent to the car. The three colors I'm tossing around in my head right now are black, white, burgundy. Black and white, I think, may be to generic to really add that complimentary touch of class I'm looking for (I'm looking for a more classy rather than sporty look, if that makes any sense). I'm thinking burgundy would be good, but I don't know how it would look against the marine blue.

I want to know what the people her think of the burgundy choice. I als want to hear any suggestions that mighgt be better than my own ideas. What colors do you all think would look good agaisnt the marine blue?

EDIT: For reference, here are some pinstripe color charts;
Non-metalic
Metalic
Ultra-metalic

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From the picture in your sig. your car looks Steel Blue not Marine Blue.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xlimodriver said:
From the picture in your sig. your car looks Steel Blue not Marine Blue.
That's just the lighting. The picture was taken just as the sun was setting behind the camera. Here's some other pics in bright daylight:

Bulldogger said:
Thanks, I did see that one, but no one discussed what color stripes would look good on which color car. My main question is not whether or not to get stripes, or how to apply them, I want advice on the best complimentary color of stripe for the marine blue.

Thanks again though. Being new here, there are a lot of threads I haven't seen yet and if another one already covers the advice I want, I appreciate being shown the other thread.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Do you have the color inserts on your seats? And if so what color?
I like the Burgundy, or maybe even silver. Or you could do a one wide burgundy and one thin silver. Just a thought- good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That is mine in the link above and I have grown to like my stipes a lot. I still left them as is but I am considering shortening them a bit.

I think from the picture in the signature his is Marine Blue becasue it looks much lighter than mine... I think the Steel Blue would look much darker in that light.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fitz said:
Do you have the color inserts on your seats? And if so what color?
I like the Burgundy, or maybe even silver. Or you could do a one wide burgundy and one thin silver. Just a thought- good luck.
I thought of silver, which is what I have on my Nissan. But, with the light color of the marine blue, I'm not sure silver would provide the "complimentary contrast" (I know, sounds like an oxymoron) I'm looking for. Silver looks good on the Nissan because it's a dark blue and offers more contrast to the body color.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

mistermario said:
That is mine in the link above and I have grown to like my stipes a lot. I still left them as is but I am considering shortening them a bit.
I saw that, I think the stripes look good, but I'm with the majority in that thread, the stripes would look better if they stopped at the fender flairs. Stripes should accentuate the lines on a car, not create their own lines, in my opinion.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'll have to say Silver as well.
We've seen a few R/T models in Marine Blue - those in the US and Canada have chrome body cladding, chrome inserts in the door handles, and the chrome front grill. It looks REALLY SWEET against the Marine Blue. It accents the paint very well.

Also, if your center console bezel is brushed silver, again a silver metallic pinstripe would be a good complement.

So... with that in mind is why I'm saying go for silver metallic. (like #064 in the Metallics chart, or #014 in the ultra-metallics chart.)

Or, maybe you'd prefer a black to complement all the other black trim accents on the exterior.

Post pictures when you get it done!!

EDIT: LOL, I just read your other thread on the black door edge guards.... then black pinstripes would look good with those too!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Saw in your picture you have a limited. What does the limited have on it? I'm not aware of such here in the USA. Did I miss that option?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Huff said:
Saw in your picture you have a limited. What does the limited have on it? I'm not aware of such here in the USA. Did I miss that option?
As for the stripes, I'd recommend to go with the colour of the rims you are going to put on your Caliber (most probably silver I guess) .
It'll allways please the eye, if there is another anchor point of matching colour instead of just "another" colour somewhere "in the picture".
Silver should accent the marine blue quite well anyway, since it comes from the same end of the colour-spectrum.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Huff said:
The Limited was made in very small numbers and only available through Military Car Sales to U.S. servicemembers stationed in Europe. The only way to get a Limited was to pre-order one before the first shipment of Calibers was ready to send off to Europe. Dodge said it was a way of saying "Thank You" to servicemembers serving overseas, but my skeptical mind thinks it was a marketing tool to introduce their new car to the overseas military market (maybe it was a little of both).

As for what's different in the Limited: It's basically a standard SE model with some add-on options included as standard features at no extra cost. It came with the 6Disc/Mp3 stereo, Toneau cover, Daytime driving lights, A/C with cool zone, power option w/keyless entry as standard no-cost equipment. There were also some options available that weren't normally available on the SE, such as Cruise control, Security system, and Fog lights (which I didn't get). In reality, the only difference between the Limited and the SE is the badge, getting the add-on options at no extra cost, and the limited market it was offered to (overseas military for only a very short time).

Edited for spelling errors. That's what I get for using a laptop in a dark room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts