Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i bought a silver sxt from my local dealership. The salesman was awesome and gave me every price break he could. i picked up the car on Wednesday around lunch and loved everything about it. that night i went to go to the store and i noticed my instrument cluster wouldnt light up. so thursday morning i took it back to the dealer to see what the problem was. the mechanic told me he couldnt figure it out right away since it was such a new car and told me to book an appointment for the next day, friday. so i did that. friday around 3pm, i get a call saying they will have to keep it over night as they still cant find the problem. this is where i start to get angry. I tell the service guy "fine" and ask what kind of rental car i will be getting, and when can i pick it up. He tells me that the dealer doesnt have rentals. I get angrier, but i dont make a big deal since my parents have numerous cars i can use for the weekend. the dealership calls me on monday and tell me that they have to order a new cluster and that it should only take a couple days. Today they call me and tell me that it wont be here till monday. I'm pissed! now the dealership has had my car longer than i have. so i ask about the rental again, and they tell me they have a sebring i can use till mine is ready. WTF is this shit. I paid for a PDI when i picked up my car and apparantly my car never recieved one. im going to the dealership tomorrow and i think i'll be asking for some money back... thats my rant, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
689 Posts
PDI? And as part of the warranty, a rental car is suppose to be offered to you I believe. If you bought an Extended Warranty, its even in that also. So if the dealership doesn't have rentals, they are suppose to set something up with a rental car company, Chrysler pays it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
PDI is Pre-Delivery Inspection. It is a way for a dealership to get more money without adding any value to the customer. PDI is something to pay for an independent shop to look over a used car. Not a new car that should already be inspected for initial problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Nickoli! That really sucks man! Seriously, you should ask for your money back! A new cluster only after a few days isn't something that we see all the time... Or they should at least try to make it up to you and lend you a freakin' rental!! Or even give you some perks! Jeezz, where do you live man, so that I won't go to that dealership?!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rental Cars are NOT covered by the factory 3/36 warranty. If you purchased a DaimlerChrysler Service Contract (Extended Warranty), rentals are covered.

Some dealers will provide rentals, but it is totally up to the dealer if no contract is purchased.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
TommyLee said:
Some dealers will provide rentals, but it is totally up to the dealer if no contract is purchased.
Yes. But man I'd hate to be dealin with that dealer! I've always been able to get a loaner from the dealers that I've bought new cars from (and had probs with the new car). Perhaps I've been lucky... or that is one sorry dealer. I guess he's getting a loanrer after all. Sorry to hear of you troubles Nickoli.

·
Registered
689 Posts
TommyLee said:
Rental Cars are NOT covered by the factory 3/36 warranty. If you purchased a DaimlerChrysler Service Contract (Extended Warranty), rentals are covered.

Wow thats interesting, that is just plain wrong, I can understand on a one day repair maybe, but if they can't repair the car and it takes several days, that is purely wrong. GM's warranty gives you a rental for overnight, which is the only fair thing to do.

I guess Chrysler wants to force people to get the Extended Warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, make sure and discuss rentals with your dealer prior to purchase. I had to fight with the Mazda dealer here before because they wouldn't give me on. I had brought my car in for a safety recall on fuel odor in the cabin and they needed to keep it 5 days while the part came in, told me I was SOL on them giving me a car to drive in the meantime, that rather, it was "my choice" for leaving my vehicle with them and I could drive my vehicle (Although leaking fuel vapor into the cabin) until the part came in.

Luckily the salesman had mentioned to me that the dealer did offer rentals on repairs taking more than one day. So one well placed call to Mazda North American Operations and the next day I got a call from one of the lower level service writers (Not the general service manager that was arguing with me) apologizing and telling me my rental was ready for pickup whenever I wanted it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Man, all this talk about different warranties; I'm really sitting on the fence now!! I'm still waiting on my car to get here, so I haven't heard the prices or features on the extra warranty. How much are they exactly, and are they really worth it?:confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Mongo,

Here is a link to a really informative previous discussion thread that includes some things that should answer your questions and provide more to help you make a decision about an extended warranty:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201

My first response in that thread (second page) mentions the cost and some other info for the DODGE extended warranty.

Also, forum participant "DodgeInfoCenter" (Dan) made some great points with his usual helpful insight, to include the following:

------------------------------------
"A long term coverage can go either way, either that a manufacturer provides a long warranty because they know nothing will go wrong, or they provide a long warranty because they know something will go wrong.

It’s a matter of perception, by dropping the 7/70 they were able to reduce the overall cost. A service contract for the additional 7/70 powertrain costs about the same as the vehicle would have if they never made the change."
-------------------------------------

I can't recall if it's in that same thread and don't have time at the moment to go back to it, but some previous discussion mentioned about the considerations of going with the Chrysler-Daimler extended warranty and "aftermarket"-type ones has also been presented here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys!! It would definately be nice to have the extra protection, but I guess the ultimate determinant is what's going to be said at the signing of the papers. If its not a budget choker, I'll probably go for it! If it is, well, I guess 36000 is better than nothing! Thanks again, and wish me luck!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I paid $1310 for the Chrysler MaxiCare 6yr/85,000 mile $100 deductible warranty. I found that price online and my dealer matched it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, that is pretty messed. i work at a dodge dealership mostly in the service department. and it is true that dealership do not own rental cars. we do a sublet and get you one from enterprise or somewhere else. and if it is a brand new car they should have done that for you first thing.
and a PDI should always be done one a car. i process them at work. i was talking to a service guy about how long it would take becuase i want myc ar as soon as possible. (i special ordered on in april. it is coming on "june 26th at 3:30") he siad well we just wont even do one. i said, bull shit- your doing it.
it is understandable that they cant pin point the problem right away. there should have been extensive training like there is whenever a new model in introduced. the guys at my dealership get sent out for school all the time.
sorry you had to go thu all that bull shit tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Huff said:
PDI is Pre-Delivery Inspection. It is a way for a dealership to get more money without adding any value to the customer. PDI is something to pay for an independent shop to look over a used car. Not a new car that should already be inspected for initial problems.
this isnt true. dealerships do PDIs on every car. how else dot hey know whether everything is in working order ornot when it coems to the dealership. they cant to cover their asses and not rely on someone else to do their checks

·
Registered
683 Posts
steelblue_dani said:
this isnt true. dealerships do PDIs on every car. how else dot hey know whether everything is in working order ornot when it coems to the dealership. they cant to cover their asses and not rely on someone else to do their checks
Thats true. However, a PDI should not be charged to the customer on a new car. Doing so is just a way to pad the dealers profits more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, that is true. i am not sure if that is something my dealership does... wait. no, we dont charge the cust. because each vehicle has its own number of hours that Chrysler pays the dealership to do the PDI. when i close the repair orderes out i have to change the tech time (for the caliber it is 9/10 of an hour) and the price (Chrysler pays $87.20 an hour).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts