Dodge Caliber Forums banner

What should Jerry Do?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
People say that buying a car is an extention of ones self, and you should get what you want. I have been trying to buy these cars for a few weeks now and have had nothing but problems. I work at a local dealer and they have been working their asses of to find me a yellow caliber. You can't order one n e more so they have been trying to locate one. Another dealer accepted a trade, and then sold it before we could pick it up, another dealer said he had one and when our guy showed to pick it up he was told the manager never got that phone call and they never had a yellow one, and the worst yet this one really sucked. We got the car, I was phoned from the guy picking up the car as he was driving it. "I am driving yor car home right not." is what he said. about 1hr later I got that phone call nobody want. The car was in an accident. Totalled. I am going out of my mind. Its like I am not supposed to get a car. Any thats where all you wonderfull people come in. My dealer said he can order a yellow but it maybe 12-14 weeks before he can get it. I would't mind orange or black, and I would not want to settle for red, but if I had to I could, no other color. One of my dealers has a red one with the options, but calibers red is more of a maroon i think and I am not that fond of it, but could live with it, and that would mean I would be driving it by friday. Please answer the poll, I have to make up my mind.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Sorry to hear about your miss-haps there. That kind of sucks and I don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. I would either take the Orange or the Black (biased [love them] for those colors in that order....so that makes it harder...even for me!) Another note, I heard, not sure if true, but Solar Yellow is not being produced anymore and being changed to Light Khaki Metallic (tan color). 4-8 weeks is better than 12, but who knows if they are able to porduce Solar Yellow now. I am not fond of the red either, but I would wait, as I am a patient person. If you can get a definate answer on the Yellow then I would wait, but if you can't I would go with the Orange or Black.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you seen the red in person? It really is nto maroon at all. It is a very bright, cheery red. In my opionion, at least. So I didn't vote in case you haven't actually seen a red Caliber in person. Although, you probably did considering you work for a dealer.

Well, I say it is worth the wait. If you know now that you don't want to settle on red, then you will never be 100% happy.

·
Registered
901 Posts
As TommyLee told us in post #6 here (http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929&page=2&highlight=yellow), Solar Yellow has been discontinued for the remainder of the 2007 model year (replaced with Light Khaki). If you open up a brand new custom order, yellow will not be an option.

But recall the pics of the Belvidere assembly outlot (post #27 in this thread: http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803)-- thousands of 2006.5's have been built and will be shipping to dealers. Among them will still be yellow Calibers. You can get one, it'll just be a little like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Maroon?? There were some advance pics showing a dark cherry red paint (like on edmunds.com or something) but that never was a production color. The red Caliber is Inferno Red, the same Inferno Red that's been available on other Dodge vehicles for several years.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Here's an idea.... I wonder if the yellow color-keyed interior is also being discontinued w/ the paint color....? But if not, perhaps go for your 2nd choice color of black and get either the SXT 24E sport pkg or an R/T - and choose yellow as your color-keyed interior. Sort of a compromise, I guess!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd keep trying to get the one you want.

When I bought the car before the Caliber the dealer told me all sorts of crap to get me to take one of the ones on the lot or from one of their "friend-dealers". I wanted something worth my money (at least as far as I understood... lol). So I searched for the stupid car myself on the internet and when I found what I wanted I went to the dealer, showed them the car and asked them to get it for me. They did, and I was happy:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here is a picture of my red SE from an earlier post. http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9164&postcount=10
It was taken on a very sunny afternoon and I think it shows the Inferno Red color very well. The color can look much different on a cloudy day which in my opinion is part of the charm of the red although I am sure some of the other colors have similar characteristics in the sun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea what I want to do. I am a very impatient, and indecisive person. I guess that is a bad mix.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Willing to travel? You can probably get one if you look around (a bit farther). I've driven by a yellow Caliber at my local dealer (Norman, OK) for the past few weeks (they had an SXT and a SE in yellow).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forget it all and go steel blue? Not one of the answers, but not a bad one at that. It is a nice color, I just don't know. I want to get a car I can put black rims on, tint the windows (chrome red, yellow ect... or mabey just black) and put a graphic on the side I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
you could always just pay to get your car pinted a different color... Does that void the warranty?

·
Registered
31 Posts
But isn't the Steel Blue just as hard if not harder to find. Don't know if it's true or not but I was told they don't even make the R/T in it and are supposeadly discontinuing it as well?????? It depends on how bad you want what you want. I flat out told them that this was MY new car and I wasn't taking what I didn't want and if they couldn't get me what i wanted then I'd just wait or go somewhere else....that's when it magically appeared on their list of cars coming in that week on the train.

·
Registered
44 Posts
playBOY42 - i'm not sure where you live or how far your local dealer is willing to go to get you a Yellow Caliber, but i just test drove a Yellow SXT yesterday, 6/7/06, here in Richmond, VA at Pence Chyysler Dodge Jeep (www.penceauto.com). It's a package 24E with a sunroof and the Musicgate system. It just had the inspection sticker put on it that day. I also had the dealer check on ordering me a '07 Caliber and Yellow, Steel Blue and Light Khaki were NOT available colors to choose from. Just thought i'd drop that in there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Serantos said:
you could always just pay to get your car pinted a different color... Does that void the warranty?
You could, but we also have a 2 bodyshops in out auto group, and to get an all car paint job (without door jams) I would be looking at around $4000, the back side windows on the caliber have to be broken out, and there are a few other things that will pose as a problem form what the head of the body shop told me. From my understanding you have to have an actually dodge dealer take the car appart, and put it back togeather to not void the warranty. So no custom jobs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts