Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh is gone with the car right now, but I haven't checked if there is a place to plug in the car. Does the Caliber have a plug-in? If so do you guys use it? It is bitterly cold here in Ontario right now and I'm thinking any little bit of help I can give the car in starting is a good thing :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
plug in? wtf is that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
You dont plug the Caliber into anything! There is an outlet inside the car for like using a home charger for a cell phone or shoot who knows making Margaritas.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
emmsmama said:
My dh is gone with the car right now, but I haven't checked if there is a place to plug in the car. Does the Caliber have a plug-in? If so do you guys use it? It is bitterly cold here in Ontario right now and I'm thinking any little bit of help I can give the car in starting is a good thing :)
what you are looking for is the engine block heater ,the pluck your looking for is on your driverside hiden beside the pc when you open the hood just stick your hand in there and you will find a loose cable stuck in there

·
Registered
253 Posts
just about to go look for mine it is going to hit - 25c hear any time

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tupmeier said:
what you are looking for is the engine block heater ,the pluck your looking for is on your driverside hiden beside the pc when you open the hood just stick your hand in there and you will find a loose cable stuck in there
Thanks, that was the info I was looking for :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not all Calibers come with block heaters in the US,probably some northern states and Alaska get them standard whereas all Calibers sold in Canada have them as standard equipment.The plug is tucked down in front of
drivers side strut tower and power distribution module(fuse box).

·
Registered
775 Posts
Having lived in Alaska for many years, I have this advice to give: Don't rely on the black cord that comes with the block heater to be your primary means of plugging the car in. Get one of the blue cold weather extension cords. The black plastic isnulation will begin to crack and split as the cord gets moved around in sub-freezing temperatures while the blue cold weather cords are designed to stay flexible down to -60F.

Your best bet, and I've done this on many cars, is to mount a two or four plug junction box under the hood with a cold weather cord coming out of it. Use the junction box to plug your block heater into, that way the black cord doesn't have to be moved around when it's cold. The junction box will also allow you to add aditional heaters as needed, such as a battery heater, oil pan heater, etc. and having a cold weather cord hanging out through your bumper will prevent a fire hazard from cracked wiring insulation.

In Alaska, where the temps routinely get colder than -10F in the winter, heating the battery keeps it from freezing which prevents the car from starting, and heating the oil pan will extend the life of your car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a block heater, special order. I never thought I'd need to use it, but then the cold hit Illinois. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good suggestions, Michael. I attach a cold weather cord with several points on it to the block heater and battery blanket. This way I dont have to messs around with he block heater cord itself.

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
I have been pluging mine in since i got it. btw that was last wednesday an its been -15c here plus the wind chill. it seems to help when i start it in the morning after being plugged in all night, it starts easy, whereas when i start it after work when its been sitting all day out side it almost seems hesitant.

·
Registered
294 Posts
At -15C, you shouldn't need a block heater, granted the car will warm up a touch faster (BTW, wind chill means nothing to a car, its meant for human skin)
You should use a timer for your block heater, 2 hours max before you have to leave in the morning. otherwise, you are just wasting your electricity (and the bill that comes with it, block heaters draw a good bit of power)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The odd time I drove my old '78 mercedes diesel coupe in the winter [only when the roads were dry] i'd only have the block heater on for 1 hour or less. As soon as the glow plug lite went off it started like a charm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts