Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently deployed with the Air Force in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and once I return to Germany I will be returning to the states shortly after. Upon arrival in the states my wife and I will be in need of a new vehicle. The Caliber has caught both of our eyes for many reasons, 1. its very affordable on my military income, 2 its very stylish, 3 its roomy. But we have read many issues with the 07 models having defects and the dealers not wanting to deal with them. If we do purchase one it will be before we get to our next assignment which will most likely be on the west coast. We will be going to my home of residence in NC before going to my next base, which is where we plan on purchasing a car. i know that the warranty falls under the car and can be cared for at any dodge dealer but with all the issues people are having it seems like a dealer would send me away because i didnt purchase it at there dealership. would you all still recommend this car despite the issues you have encountered? i know many of you havent encountered issues and thats what i love to hear, but in the case that i get a cali that has issues i want to know if the issues are worth the experience and the car. thanks for you opinion

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Being one of the peopel without issues, I say get it. Seems like most of the people with "issues" are early production ones, and a lot of the "issues" are little things, that me personally, probably wouldn't even complain about. But being a gear head, I like to tinker and would try to fix them on my own.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've only had my car 2 weeks and 700 miles . . . that being said . . . I found the car to be better on paper than in actuallity. I'm more in agreement with those "muppet" characters in the commercial (It doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, I found it neither wuddly or cuddley, it is more dark and disturbing and it scares the *bleep* out of me). No wonder my wife gave it back to me after a week and chose to drive her 5 year old Dodge Caravan. For gosh sakes it doesn't even keep my drinks cool in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a little bit concerned about problems and/or quality after I purchase as well. I know nothing's 100% perfect (after all it is a machine built partially by humans) but for 20k it should be 'close' to it. In my opinion people may have higher expectations for this car because of all the hype and advertising. You see the car all over TV and print ads. Also, some of the features are firsts in the auto industry such as the "Chill Zone" which only add to the allure of the car. I liked this car from the first time I saw it early this year. I really wanted a Magnum but that's too expensive and does not have the best gas mileage even with the 2.7 L V6. If the Caliber is at least "as good" as the base Magnum I'll be happy when I get one.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
LuckyBoy2007 said:
I'm a little bit concerned about problems and/or quality after I purchase as well. I know nothing's 100% perfect (after all it is a machine built partially by humans) but for 20k it should be 'close' to it. In my opinion people may have higher expectations for this car because of all the hype and advertising. You see the car all over TV and print ads. Also, some of the features are firsts in the auto industry such as the "Chill Zone" which only add to the allure of the car. I liked this car from the first time I saw it early this year. I really wanted a Magnum but that's too expensive and does not have the best gas mileage even with the 2.7 L V6. If the Caliber is at least "as good" as the base Magnum I'll be happy when I get one.
You sound like me. I really wanted a Magnum, but couldn't afford to pay $2 grand more for a car that gets worse gas mileage. I love my Caliber now and am glad I got it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
All the problems? For the most part they're all very minor. If you look at any auto message base they are filled with problems no matter what the brand. People are more likely to mention an issue than to start a new thread saying they don't have any problems.

A good dealer will not care if you bought your car elsewhere. They get paid just the same and want your business.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an "early" caliber (bought mine in early April) and I haven't had any problems with it. My rear washer DID leak at first, but it seems to have completely resolved on it's own, and I don't have the ping issue that I've read about either. The only reason it has been back to the dealer is for the F29 recall.

I've got over 6k miles on mine now too, so it can be considered "broken in" :D

I bought mine before I'd even seen any ads or hype for it - I was in the market to buy a car ASAP and I found out about it on Yahoo Autos when i was trying to figure out what i wanted... then checked it out on Dodge's website, and the next day I went and test drove it and took it home. Other cars on my list (from researching a few months before) had been the Vibe/Matrix and the VW Golf, both of which were more expensive cars (with similar options). I've been very happy with my purchase.

Also, I have a Britax Boulevard carseat installed rearfacing in the back (passenger side) which is something I'm NOT sure I'd have been able to do in the other cars I considered (I also have a forward facing seat behind the driver's side so a center install isn't really an option) since it's one of the biggest seats on the market - I had the seat before the car, so making sure it would fit was pretty important, as any other seat would have been a "downgrade" ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love my Caliber, and have never regretted the choice. It makes the pinging noise from the exhaust area, but to me that is minor, as it no way affects the car's performance. I'll wait until the kinks are ironed out so they can properly address it if it doesn't stop.

Besides the wonderfully smooth and comfortable ride, the Caliber is an attention getter. People comment, compliment, and ask about it all the time. People automatically guess it to be a much more expensive car than it is. It looks big, but fits into small parking spots. I love that!! And I'm totally satisfied with the cargo space too. I love the versatility. I wholeheartedly recommend the Caliber. (I purchased mine in late April, and have about 5500 miles on it.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
actually i think the ones with the problems are mainly the ones that purchased the cali right when the first shipments came out.
I know mine is 4mths old and have a few issue's but then again it is a first model year and the kinks have to get worked out. thank goodness for warranties. take it in to the dealer numerous times, eventually they fix it.
if I didn't like the car or worried about all the problems I've had I wouldn't have bought another one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah upon further review ive noticed that alot of the problems were either like stated from earlier models (first release) or they were multiple post by the same members. thank you all for your comments, they have made this an easy choice for my wife and i

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the "click" which has mostly gone away now and the rear winshield washer leak which is completely gone. Definately a good car for the money.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've stopped using the chillzone as it's ineffective anyways but the biggest letdown and unfulfilled promise on this car for me is the mpg. not even close to EPA estimates. otherwise it's fun and I'm enjoying it fine. you've been warned! :p

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
BlueHawaii said:
I've stopped using the chillzone as it's ineffective anyways but the biggest letdown and unfulfilled promise on this car for me is the mpg. not even close to EPA estimates. otherwise it's fun and I'm enjoying it fine. you've been warned! :p
I have yet to own/drive a car that gets the "estimated" EPA mpg rating in city driving. On the highway, yeah, that's easy. I don't know what "city" they use for thier mpg rating system, but it must not ever have any traffic congestion, or any stop lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts