Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hopefully, you guys can help me out here. There are a few questions I have before ordering mine. I don't want to ask the dealer because they may not give me honest answers or they may not know the answers themselves (the salesman I talked to wasn't too knowledgable about the car). I also don't want to put myself at a disadvantage with the dealer by giving the appearance that I don't know what I'm buying.

Here goes:

- Does the Caliber have stability control as an option?
- Does the passenger side have an airbag? I didn't notice one during the test drive.
- What's this air-conditioner bypass system?
- What's a "speed sensitive power lock"?
- What's that "speed control" option supposed to do?
- With the smoker's group, where does the ashtray go? Is it an extra storage bay or does it just slip into that slot right below the radio? I need a space to store my change for the parking meter.
- How much weight can you realistically store in the cargo area? For work, I sometimes carry several hundred pounds of concrete samples to the laboratory.
- For the car alarm, is there any way to get rid of that annoying "honk" when you activate the alarm? On the weekends, I come home late so I don't want to wake up the neighbors. The dealer told me that this can be done by removing a fuse, but wouldn't let me try it (I'll be buying from a different dealer).

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sleazy said:
Hopefully, you guys can help me out here. There are a few questions I have before ordering mine. I don't want to ask the dealer because they may not give me honest answers or they may not know the answers themselves (the salesman I talked to wasn't too knowledgable about the car). I also don't want to put myself at a disadvantage with the dealer by giving the appearance that I don't know what I'm buying.

Here goes:

- Does the passenger side have an airbag? I didn't notice one during the test drive.
- With the smoker's group, where does the ashtray go? Is it an extra storage bay or does it just slip into that slot right below the radio? I need a space to store my change for the parking meter.
- How much weight can you realistically store in the cargo area? For work, I sometimes carry several hundred pounds of concrete samples to the laboratory.
- For the car alarm, is there any way to get rid of that annoying "honk" when you activate the alarm? On the weekends, I come home late so I don't want to wake up the neighbors. The dealer told me that this can be done by removing a fuse, but wouldn't let me try it (I'll be buying from a different dealer).

Thanks.
Can't answer all of your questions, but here are a few answers:

Speed sensitive locks: once your car hits between 15 and 20 mph (not sure of the exact mph), the doors lock automatically.
Speed control: fancy way of saying "cruise control".
Smoker's group: not positive on this, but I think all the smoker's group has is a cigarette lighter and a little cupholder-shaped bin with a lid that is the "ashtray". It would just sit inside one of your cupholders.
Honking when the alarm is set: I'm pretty sure this can be removed by following the instructions in the manual using the buttons on the sentry key.
Passenger airbags: not sure if these are an option yet, or if they are just in the works at the moment. (I think they're just in the talking stages now - don't quote me on that.)

·
Registered
901 Posts
It was a "late availability" option that became available (i.e. went into production at the factory) last month. It's an option on all models except SE.

Yes. It is standard equipment. Both driver and front passenger airbags are 2nd-generation and use an Occupant Classification System. Sensors in the front passenger seat detect weight on the seat and if its under a certain weight (the exact # is not listed in the owners manual, btw) the airbag will be deactivated. This weight sensor is real-time... once I leaned on the seat to reach for something, and the "airbag off" light on the center console illuminated!
Also standard is a driver's side knee blocker airbag and side curtain airbags.

A bypass? Not sure what you mean. Maybe this is referring to the ChillZone in the glove box, where a slider covers/uncovers air vents?
The ChillZone is included with a/c, not available on cars without a/c.

When you accelerate to a certain speed (10-15 mph) the power door locks automatically lock.

A more politically-correct term for Cruise Control.

- With the smoker's group, where does the ashtray go?
The ashtray is a removeable round box that fits into one of the front cupholders.

- How much weight can you realistically store in the cargo area?
Owners manual says the Gross Vehicle Weight Rate (GVWR) is 4435 lbs (2012 kg). This total includes weight of the vehicle, the driver, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight. The total load must be limited to not exceed the GVWR.

- For the car alarm, is there any way to get rid of that annoying "honk" when you activate the alarm?
Yes, but it's not a fuse. (What kinda misinformation is THAT?!!!) The horn sound upon lock can be programmed to be turned off. If you have the Drivers Convenience Group, you program it thru the EVIC. Without the Drivers Conv Group, you program it thru the remote key fob, or your service dept can reprogram for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes it does have passenger side air bag and side curtain airbags. If you look on top of the dash on the passenger seat it's labeled. The car is rated 5 stars on the front crash test.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry about that, I guess I posted just a few seconds after Kathy. Yes, the AC bypass they refer to is just the flat piece of plastic that you slide forward to send cold air into the "Chill Zone" and slide back to "bypass" it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One last note: My paperwork said my SXT with sport package weighed 3039 lbs. So if you got something comparable you'd have @ 1100 lbs. for people, cargo and towing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, you guys are great. Thanks.

DodgeGirlKathy said:
- For the car alarm, is there any way to get rid of that annoying "honk" when you activate the alarm?
Yes, but it's not a fuse. (What kinda misinformation is THAT?!!!) The horn sound upon lock can be programmed to be turned off. If you have the Drivers Convenience Group, you program it thru the EVIC. Without the Drivers Conv Group, you program it thru the remote key fob, or your service dept can reprogram for you.
What's an EVIC?

·
Registered
689 Posts
All the information is correct except the A/C Bypass, fancy way of saying NO A/C. Also available for order now is YES seat easy clean seat fabric.

If you are looking at the A/C bypass you are looking at an SE, you really should be looking at an SXT and get the A/C as standard and add the Drivers Convenience Group for what you want to do with Alarm System, which also means you want the Security Group also. Unless you are simply talking about the locking and unlocking acknowlegement with Keyless Entry, then you would simply need the Drivers Convenience Group to better control settings.

·
Registered
357 Posts
so if you lock all the doors manually and then shut the door, is the alarm still set by itself? I haven't gotten my manual yet to turn off the horn honk yet.

though I did find out the hard way to turn off the panic alarm, just push that panic button again. (not so smart design in a real emergency, but is easy to find your car in a garage and turn it off/on at will that way).

long story version: just got the car, fell asleep on couch after staring at it and the sales brochure for hours :) rolled over with keys in pocket and HONK HONK HONK is that my car? HONK HONK HONK wake up to the car going apesh#t outside HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK ran downstairs stick key in door and unlock HONK HONK HONK HONK well that didn't work (some euro cars will disarm that way) HONK HONK HONK HONK ok turn the key on that should turn it off! NOPE! HONK HONK HONK HONK WTF? START THE CAR HONK HONK HONK it's starts too, this is stuipid I could drive off this way HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK open glovebox for the manual HONK HONK HONK ah crap I don't have one! HONK HONK HONK HONK neighbor across the street scares the crap out of me as he's next to the car now HEY MAN TURN THAT SHIT OFF! HONK HONK HONK HONK I WOULD IF I KNEW HOW! HONK HONK HONK PUSH THE BUTTON AGAIN! HONK HONK... silence /rolleyes oh jeez just push the panic button again DOH. it's about 11PM and peace returns to the neighborhood once again, and yes, if they didn't know it they know now I have a new car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BlueHawaii said:
so if you lock all the doors manually and then shut the door, is the alarm still set by itself? I haven't gotten my manual yet to turn off the horn honk yet.

though I did find out the hard way to turn off the panic alarm, just push that panic button again. (not so smart design in a real emergency, but is easy to find your car in a garage and turn it off/on at will that way).

long story version: just got the car, fell asleep on couch after staring at it and the sales brochure for hours :) rolled over with keys in pocket and HONK HONK HONK is that my car? HONK HONK HONK wake up to the car going apesh#t outside HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK ran downstairs stick key in door and unlock HONK HONK HONK HONK well that didn't work (some euro cars will disarm that way) HONK HONK HONK HONK ok turn the key on that should turn it off! NOPE! HONK HONK HONK HONK WTF? START THE CAR HONK HONK HONK it's starts too, this is stuipid I could drive off this way HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK open glovebox for the manual HONK HONK HONK ah crap I don't have one! HONK HONK HONK HONK neighbor across the street scares the crap out of me as he's next to the car now HEY MAN TURN THAT SHIT OFF! HONK HONK HONK HONK I WOULD IF I KNEW HOW! HONK HONK HONK PUSH THE BUTTON AGAIN! HONK HONK... silence /rolleyes oh jeez just push the panic button again DOH. it's about 11PM and peace returns to the neighborhood once again, and yes, if they didn't know it they know now I have a new car.
I've done this at least once with all of my cars, when that noise starts you somewhat panic to shut it off as fast as possible and brain function seems to lack. LOL It is usually the unlocked button on the fab that turns it off though, in my experience at least.

Oh and wth about pulling the fuse! Unbelievable!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JoeDodge said:
EVIC is electronic vehicle information center.
Ummmm..... ok. Next question: what's an electronic vehicle information center? :confused:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sleazy said:
Ummmm..... ok. Next question: what's an electronic vehicle information center? :confused:
Quoted from the Owners Manual:
(dang I need 2 of these books, one to keep in the car, and one to keep by the computer to help out on this forum!! LOLLL! :p )

The EVIC features a driver-interactive display. It is located in the lower left part of the gauge cluster below the fuel and temperature gauge. The EVIC consists of the following:
  • System status
  • Vehicle information warning message displays
  • Personal settings (customer programmable features)
  • Compass heading
  • Outside temperature display [**Without the EVIC, the outside temp displays on the right gauge cluster.]
  • Trip computer functions (such as fuel economy, distance to empty, etc) [**Not to be confused with a trip odometer, of which there are 2 on the right gauge cluster.]
  • UConnect hands-free communication system displays -- If Equipped
  • Audio play mode
  • Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)
When the appropriate conditions exist, the EVIC displays the following messages:
  • Turn Signal On (with a continuous warnning chime)
  • Left Front Turn Signal Lamp Out (with a single chime)
  • Left Rear Turn Signal Lamp Out (with a single chime)
  • Right Front Turn Signal Lamp Out (with a single chime)
  • Right Rear Turn Signal Lamp Out (with a single chime)
  • RKE Battery Low (with a single chime) [*RKE = remote keyless entry]
  • Personal Settings Not Available - Vehicle Not In Park (auto trans) or Vehicle Is In Motion (manual trans)
  • Left/Right Front Door Ajar (one or more, with a single chime if speed is above 1 mph)
  • Left/Right Rear Door Ajar (one or more, with a single chime if speed is above 1 mph)
  • Door (S) Ajar (with a single chime if vehicle is in motion)
  • Gate Ajar (with a single chime)
  • Low Washer Fluid (with a single chime)
  • Headlamps On
  • Key In Ignition

·
Registered
901 Posts
BlueHawaii said:
Yes, and in fact, manually locking from the drivers door will lock all the doors at once. (Bonus: The horn does not sound when you lock the doors this way.)

Here's how to turn off the "Sound Horn on Lock" feature with the key/remote (quoting from the Owners Manual; I haven't tried it.):
  1. Press the LOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.
  2. While the LOCK button is pressed (after 4 seconds), press the PANIC button. Release both buttons.
Repeat these steps to reactive "Sound Horn on Lock".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the EVIC is some type of display which tells you everything going on in the car?

How do you program your personal settings? Are there buttons on the EVIC or is it some type of touch screen thingy?

The EVIC only comes with the driver convenience package?

So this horn honky thing. It happens only when the doors lock automatically? I thought it was the alarm activating (me so corn-fused).

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sleazy said:
So the EVIC is some type of display which tells you everything going on in the car?

How do you program your personal settings? Are there buttons on the EVIC or is it some type of touch screen thingy?

The EVIC only comes with the driver convenience package?

So this horn honky thing. It happens only when the doors lock automatically? I thought it was the alarm activating (me so corn-fused).
Yes, the EVIC is available only with the Drivers Convenience Group. To program it, there is a button (looks just like the odometer reset button) used to scroll thru the options.

The horn honk... door-locking and alarm-activating go together. The security alarm (which is an option) is a passive system, meaning just lock the door and it activates. It's really not that complicated!! Many many new cars (and not just Dodge) do the same thing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry. I've been driving the same car/deathtrap for the past 11 years. I don't know diddly about new cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts