Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not the usual "what can i do..." post. I do a lot of researching before I post. I am use to V-8 RWD cars, so this will be the first 4 banger FWD i thought about moding. I Plan on doing some of the normal performance mods: Header, muffler, and maybe something like HICal did with the air box. But I have couple questions:

Header: I looked at some on Ebay. There were some from Mopar and DC Sport. DC makes what looks like to be a long tube header that goes under the ending. The rest are "shorties". Which will be best for a daily driver?

I also heard something about a "flash" for the cvt from the dealership. I only read bits and pieces about it. Any links to get more info?

Thank you for your time. I can't remember if posted anything in signature when I signed up months ago so: 2008 SXT, 2.0, sliver, CVT

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
This is not the usual "what can i do..." post. I do a lot of researching before I post. I am use to V-8 RWD cars, so this will be the first 4 banger FWD i thought about moding. I Plan on doing some of the normal performance mods: Header, muffler, and maybe something like HICal did with the air box. But I have couple questions:

Header: I looked at some on Ebay. There were some from Mopar and DC Sport. DC makes what looks like to be a long tube header that goes under the ending. The rest are "shorties". Which will be best for a daily driver?

I also heard something about a "flash" for the cvt from the dealership. I only read bits and pieces about it. Any links to get more info?

Thank you for your time. I can't remember if posted anything in signature when I signed up months ago so: 2008 SXT, 2.0, sliver, CVT
Nice that you alreadyfound my Intake thread. As far as my knowledge there are only 2 headers available for this car, actually built by the same manufacturer. The Mopar header is built by DC Sports, so the best price might be your best option. Shorty header is normally best for a daily street driver, generally better lowend. Long tube for open road/track performance driving, so I'm told (never had a car w/ long tube header.

These are 2 flashes I have benefited from the dealer. Though they might not apply to your car it did improve performance.
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/TSB/Caliber_1803107.pdf
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/TSB/Caliber_1801708.pdf

Reactions: Krazy40

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
Unfortunately there is not much you can do with a naturally aspirated four cylinder FWD car.

I'm not aware of any flash for the CVT. If you ever decided to go with forced induction, I'd recommend against it because of the CVT. There is a guy with a Caliber R/T 5 speed that has turbocharged it, but the CVT would never be able to handle the torque.

Just don't go too big on exhaust, you'll lose velocity and lose torque.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately there is not much you can do with a naturally aspirated four cylinder FWD car.

I'm not aware of any flash for the CVT. If you ever decided to go with forced induction, I'd recommend against it because of the CVT. There is a guy with a Caliber R/T 5 speed that has turbocharged it, but the CVT would never be able to handle the torque.

Just don't go too big on exhaust, you'll lose velocity and lose torque.
Not looking for all that, just looking to get it so it can get out of its own way. I figured 500-600 to make it a little quicker, and possibly better MPG, and some apperance mods, will scratch my mod itch, haha. I can't leave a car alone, not matter what it is.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Not looking for all that, just looking to get it so it can get out of its own way. I figured 500-600 to make it a little quicker, and possibly better MPG, and some apperance mods, will scratch my mod itch, haha. I can't leave a car alone, not matter what it is.
Ha, Ha!:laugh: Same here. Given my disease. I purchased my Caliber as a cruiser and multipurpse vehicle. All that ended once I got it tinted. Should have known better that it's in the blood.

Little cash for some performance won't disappoint you. Besides the performance, I hated the anemic sound of the stock exhaust. Yeah, but like GreaseMonkey said, stay away from a too big or freeflow exhaust.
FYI
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mopar-Performance-DODGE-CALIBER-HEADER-ceramic-coated-/280523204550?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41507c67c6

·
Registered
271 Posts
honestly don't understand why people don't just buy the srt model of the caliber.. I picked mine up for $17K... it would take $8000 to make a NA caliber as fast as a stock SRT caliber. That's like dudes that buy Acura RSX's and mod the hell out of them only to get beat by stock Neon SRTs. Sell the na caliber.. buy a used srt caliber.. call it a day

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honestly don't understand why people don't just buy the srt model of the caliber.. I picked mine up for $17K... it would take $8000 to make a NA caliber as fast as a stock SRT caliber. That's like dudes that buy Acura RSX's and mod the hell out of them only to get beat by stock Neon SRTs. Sell the na caliber.. buy a used srt caliber.. call it a day

I don't want a stick for a daily driver, not into non N/A cars(i know its the future, but just not my thing), the SRT is too much flash for me, and 4-5K less then your SRT. Most of my money goes to my V-8. I just wanted a lil more pep for if i need to pass, pull out in traffic, and on ramps.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Good idea in theory, but there are some of us who cant just get rid of the caliber we have now.

I bought mine in the fall of 08, and at the time, buying a brand new car was my only option, because of better financing.

I didnt have the money to make the payments on a brand new srt4, otherwise i would have bought one.

The trans was failing on my old car, so i needed something to replace it pretty quick.

At 16k out the door, including tax title, etc etc was more reasonable for me at the time, plus the interest rate i got was VERY good.

Two years later, i owe 12,500 on the caliber, and its only worth about 8-9500.

So as of right now, it would be impractical to go and buy an srt4 for 17k, and roll over 4k onto a new loan, making the srt4 21k.

Trust me, if i could i would, but as far as money goes, its a dumb move

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
we're not gonna get into the "the best mod for a n/a caliber is to trade it for a srt-4" crap again are we?

this forum caters to all trim levels, so if someone with a r/t or sxt or whatever wants to mod their car, let them mod THEIR car without having to hear how they should of bought a srt4.

he never said he planned to try and run 12's with it, just get a little more out of it and have some fun.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
we're not gonna get into the "the best mod for a n/a caliber is to trade it for a srt-4" crap again are we?

this forum caters to all trim levels, so if someone with a r/t or sxt or whatever wants to mod their car, let them mod THEIR car without having to hear how they should of bought a srt4.

he never said he planned to try and run 12's with it, just get a little more out of it and have some fun.
Stickin up for the guys with the small stick :bigthumb:

If a company ever could come out with a flash tuner, i would CONSIDER putting a turbo on this car... Id even be willing to throw my lifetime powertrain down the drain, but only after the car was paid for...

Hell, if there was any kind of decent aftermarket, i wouldnt even care about a turbo, if i could bump the car up another 40hp, id be happy...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't want a stick for a daily driver, not into non N/A cars(i know its the future, but just not my thing), the SRT is too much flash for me, and 4-5K less then your SRT. Most of my money goes to my V-8. I just wanted a lil more pep for if i need to pass, pull out in traffic, and on ramps.
I can understand wanting more pep in a car...I just don't get why people don't buy the car they want. You want a caliber..and you want it fast. They made that.. it's called the SRT-4. You bought your NA Caliber for $12K? That's pretty good price

·
Registered
271 Posts

You're missing the point here... If he's going to dump a few grand into his NA Caliber he paid $15K-17K brand new..(if not more than that).. That adds up to around 18-19K modified... that's 2K more than you can buy an SRT for. Nobody said it's about running 12s... but simple math says if you're going to pay $18K total.. why not just buy the caliber SRT?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Stickin up for the guys with the small stick :bigthumb:

If a company ever could come out with a flash tuner, i would CONSIDER putting a turbo on this car... Id even be willing to throw my lifetime powertrain down the drain, but only after the car was paid for...

Hell, if there was any kind of decent aftermarket, i wouldnt even care about a turbo, if i could bump the car up another 40hp, id be happy...

How much money would it cost to get 40 more HP out of an NA Caliber?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
How much money would it cost to get 40 more HP out of an NA Caliber?
as far as i know, its not possible to get 40 more hp out of a non srt model.

intake, exahust, header, and thats about the only mods i know of that you can do to the engine on these cars.

There is no way to flash tune it, or tune it period, so speed limiter is stuck at 111, cant adjust fuel trim, etc etc

I understand that the base model is not a performance car, far from, but if you read my post a few back, its a matter of money

If you are willing to give me 4k to go and get an srt4, id gladly go and get one, but since i cant just **** out 4k, looks like im stuck with what i have for now

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
You're missing the point here... If he's going to dump a few grand into his NA Caliber he paid $15K-17K brand new..(if not more than that).. That adds up to around 18-19K modified... that's 2K more than you can buy an SRT for. Nobody said it's about running 12s... but simple math says if you're going to pay $18K total.. why not just buy the caliber SRT?
im not missing the point. if he would of said "i bought a n/a caliber, where can i get a turbo for it" or " i have a bunch of money to dump in it" i would agree 100%. but even in his first post he asked about a header, and said he wants to mod it a little. I just dont want this to do what every thread about modding a n/a car used to do. thats every srt owner telling the o/p to sell his car and get an srt. that really sucked for non srt members.

·
Registered
602 Posts
:read:he never said a few grand either. just $500-600......

Reactions: UN4GTBL and HICal

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
im not missing the point. if he would of said "i bought a n/a caliber, where can i get a turbo for it" or " i have a bunch of money to dump in it" i would agree 100%. but even in his first post he asked about a header, and said he wants to mod it a little. I just dont want this to do what every thread about modding a n/a car used to do. thats every srt owner telling the o/p to sell his car and get an srt. that really sucked for non srt members.
Yea, it makes the non srt people feel lower on the food chain for sure.

At least youre not a typical douschebag srt owner though:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts