Dodge Caliber Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
the night i purchased my caliber, i left the extra key in my trade in by accident. When i went back, of course it was gone, and no one had seen it.
I can get a duplicate key for about $20. Does anyone know how to program a second key (rather than a 3rd)? I would hate to pay the dealer 1/2 labor for something that will take them 30 seconds..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was told you can get an extra key to unlock the doorsfor $20 but to have the key to start the car it has to be the programed key and it is $116 from the dealership. It's something about a signal the key fab sends to the computer.

I thought I lost my key about a week after I bought my car and that is the price they told me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
orange sxt said:
Greetings,
the night i purchased my caliber, i left the extra key in my trade in by accident. When i went back, of course it was gone, and no one had seen it.
I can get a duplicate key for about $20. Does anyone know how to program a second key (rather than a 3rd)? I would hate to pay the dealer 1/2 labor for something that will take them 30 seconds..
Programming a new key on your own requires 2 programmed Sentry Key keys. So if you only have 1, you have to have it done at the service dept.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where can you get a key for only $20? I'll buy a spare for that price. My dealer wants about $50 plus another $50 for programming although I should be able to do it myself since I have two.

·
Registered
259 Posts
has anyone tried programing a standard sentry key from two remote sentry keys? I want a key to take to the beach without having to worry about it. The dealer said they could get me one but I wanted to do it myself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Huff said:
Where can you get a key for only $20? I'll buy a spare for that price. My dealer wants about $50 plus another $50 for programming although I should be able to do it myself since I have two.
That is about what I paid for my blank (not remote) Sentry keys on eBay for my PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was told $159 for a new key. I didn't lose mine he was just warning me NOT to lose it lol

·
Registered
746 Posts
DodgeGirlKathy said:
Programming a new key on your own requires 2 programmed Sentry Key keys. So if you only have 1, you have to have it done at the service dept.
i had no idea you could do that. how does one go about that? is it like programming the garage door buttons in your car?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Detailed instructions on how to create a 3rd programmed key from two you already have are in your Caliber owners manual.

·
Registered
198 Posts
mistermario said:
That is about what I paid for my blank (not remote) Sentry keys on eBay for my PT Cruiser.
Uncut of course... Add dealer markup, and we approach the $50 fee that the stealership wants.... :( :mad:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sean said:
Uncut of course... Add dealer markup, and we approach the $50 fee that the stealership wants.... :( :mad:
I took the blank to Home Depot and they cut it for free :) and I programed it myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mistermario said:
I took the blank to Home Depot and they cut it for free :) and I programed it myself.
OK time out! How much did you pay for your key? Where did you get it? How did you program it? Can you get me one? :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
BethJ said:
OK time out! How much did you pay for your key? Where did you get it? How did you program it? Can you get me one? :D
It wasn't for my Caliber it was for my PT Cruiser as I mentioned above... here is a link on eBay for the PT Cruiser one http://cgi.ebay.com/CHRYSLER-DODGE-SENTRY-FACTORY-TRANSPONDER-OEM-CAR-KEY_W0QQitemZ120014092352QQihZ002QQcategoryZ94830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I'm not sure if it is the same as the Caliber non remote key or not. It does look similar to the SE key on one that I test drove.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I assuming picking up the keys off ebay and reprogramming them yourself may be the cheap way. If some of you are getting replacement keys cheaply you may want to buy up a few and sell them via the forum. I will agree the replacement key price is a tad steep (and by tad I mean very).

Here are the instructions on how to program your Sentry key, like it was stated before it requires 2 valid keys.

Sentry Key Programming

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed.

NOTE: Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a vehicle, it can not be programmed to any other vehicle.

Dan

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
mistermario said:
It wasn't for my Caliber it was for my PT Cruiser as I mentioned above... here is a link on eBay for the PT Cruiser one http://cgi.ebay.com/CHRYSLER-DODGE-SENTRY-FACTORY-TRANSPONDER-OEM-CAR-KEY_W0QQitemZ120014092352QQihZ002QQcategoryZ94830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I'm not sure if it is the same as the Caliber non remote key or not. It does look similar to the SE key on one that I test drove.
Here is the link to TWO current auctions (by the same seller) with Buy-It-Now features for the EOM transponder keys - and this seller specifically states they will work with the Dodge Caliber (although he incorrectly states 2006, not 2007, model year):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-Dodge-Caliber-RFID-Transponder-Key-Blank-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ019QQitemZ8010005943QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-Dodge-Caliber-RFID-Transponder-Key-Blank-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ019QQitemZ8010005993QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i found a blank key on ebay for $16 +/- plus shipping. I was trying to avoid the costly dealership programming. hope this helps

1 - 20 of 30 Posts