Dodge Caliber Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent "rear hatch" thread reminded me of something my wife asked me about last night.

The Caliber doesn't have a remote hatch release, either inside the vehicle or on the key fob, so the only way to open the hatch is to unlock all doors and then open the hatch manually. We all know this. :) My wife asked me last night about installing a remote hatch release. Searching on eBay yielded dozens of possibilities but all of them include a keychain fob. I'd much rather have something more elegant.

Then I remembered that about two weeks ago we were in Florida and rented a PT Cruiser which had the same identical key fob except it also had a trunk release button. There was also a button accessible to the driver that would open the trunk.

So I'm thinking.... I could easily get the solonoid and install it in the hatch, and wire up a button inside the car to release the hatch. But what would it take to get a PT Cruiser key with the hatch release button to work with the setup? Of course there would have to be some kind of programming involved, but would it even be possible? Would the Caliber's computer even understand the PT Cruiser key fob (assuming I could get it programmed for my Caliber) and allow me to release the hatch with it?

·
Registered
644 Posts
just buy a universal release kit, then run a seperate release button to the front of the car so you can open it both ways... you dont have to get the one for the PT.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The Caliber would recognize the PT Cruiser keyfob when programed, but won't recognize the hatch release signal. Only the lock and unlock for the doors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darren07RT said:
just buy a universal release kit, then run a seperate release button to the front of the car so you can open it both ways... you dont have to get the one for the PT.
What I'm looking to avoid is another remote thing on my keychain. The good thing about the PT Cruiser key is that the key has the button for a trunk release.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HSKR said:
The Caliber would recognize the PT Cruiser keyfob when programed, but won't recognize the hatch release signal. Only the lock and unlock for the doors.
But the button would transmit a signal, right? So if I were to (somehow) get a receiver that recognized the signal and wired it to the hatch release, it would (theoretically) work, right?

·
Premium Member
29,881 Posts
i know for the caravan/t & c vans if you get the keys with the buttons for the power sliding doors and rear tailgate, if you do not actually have the power stuff, it just unlocks that door (if you press the open left sliding door button but you dont have a power left sliding door just that door is unlocked), but im not sure as to what a caliber would do with a key with a trunk release button. Try it and find out for us:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
sgodun said:
But the button would transmit a signal, right? So if I were to (somehow) get a receiver that recognized the signal and wired it to the hatch release, it would (theoretically) work, right?
My guess is the signal goes to a box under the hood that relays that information to the latch. The box under the hood wouldn't ever look for a hatchback latch, it wouldn't think one could exist. Now if the latch itself picked up the signal then I think you'd be in luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am unsure why you would want this. The hatch would not raise automatically, so you will need to physically lift the gate. The only place to grab the hatch to raise it is where the latch is.

Am I totally missing why this is needed?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
sgodun said:
Right, but to get a box installed and working would be very hard, because it has to interface with the stock wiring, and also the new hatch release wiring, and I'm pretty sure the box that controls the power locks, controls a lot more than just the locks, and it also looks for return signals from each thing it controls. A lot of interfacing going on that would have to be figured out for it to work. Probably a lot easier to just go to a custom shop, and see if they can install a door popper like they would for shaved handle kits.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mr_badda_bing said:
I am unsure why you would want this. The hatch would not raise automatically, so you will need to physically lift the gate. The only place to grab the hatch to raise it is where the latch is.
Installing positive-action struts would take care of that, and would lift the hatch as soon as the latch had released.

·
Registered
901 Posts
mr_badda_bing said:

Am I totally missing why this is needed?
Personal safety, IMHO. A dedicated hatch unlock button would be nice so that I could access the cargo area without having all 4 of my doors unlocked. (For example, woman alone in a parking lot loading groceries or other purchases...) This feature would not have to power-lift the liftgate, just "pop" the latch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Step One: Grab yourself a nice dram or two of single malt scotch.
Step Two: Tell the wife nicely that "Honey, it can't be done" or, if the scotch has hit "just lift the #$*&@$ hatch"
Step Three: Move on to something important.

:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife wants this also, all she has been doing is goiing blah blah hatch blah blah hatch, so I have been looking into this also. I will be doing the automatic lift/open though. If I am going to do it I might as well make it better!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I ordered everything tonight will putting in the automatic hatchback next weekend. Good thing is my wife already has an alarm w/remote start and it has an extra button for options so no extra remotes!! I will post a video once I get it in!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, I have a 2007 PT Cruiser rental right now. Maybe i can pull the parts out to swap into the Caliber when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a rental PT Cruiser Touring Edition right now. It has no rear hatch release on it, and no button anywhere inside to open the hatch. Not sure if it's an option that didn't get put on this one. To open the rear hatch, you have to unlock the doors, then search around behind the Chrysler logo for a little rubber pad that you have to push on just right to trigger the solenoid to pop the hatch. Major PITA. The PT Cruiser was one of the vehicles we had though about getting at one time. So glad we didn't now. It has no better acceleration than my Caliber, has a lot more engine noise, and the CVT has spoiled me. I hate the shifts in the PT Cruiser. You lose a lot of pull everytime it shifts, and also right before it shifts as it gets higher in the RPM range out of it''s power band. The seats aren't as comfortable either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts